SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2015/16 Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread - Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This winter is really turning out to be similar to 1997-98 in Columbus, Toledo, and possibly Detroit. In 1997-98 there was 10" in Columbus, compared to an average of 26.7" for the 1981-2010 period. There may have been about 12" in Toledo that horrid winter, compared to an average of 37.6".

This winter is nothing like 1997-98 in Detroit for lots of different reasons lol (temp patterns, snow patterns, cold snaps, etc). The only similarity between the two is they were both strong Ninos. The similarities stop there.

If it wasn't for the November storm, I think many of us would be discussing futility records.

I disagree, at least for Detroit. Even if you take away the November snowstorm completely, the remaining winter snowfall has still been more than futility records, with 2 more months of measurable snow potential to go. Its been a very meh, boring winter....but snowfall to date is 20.7" compared to a normal to date of 29.2"....not even in the ballpark of futility records. I will laugh if we get a big spring storm or something and in the end its not even a below normal winter :lol:

I disagree, at least for Detroit. Even if you take away the November snowstorm completely, the remaining winter snowfall has still been more than futility records, with 2 more months of measurable snow potential to go. Its been a very meh, boring winter....but snowfall to date is 20.7" compared to a normal to date of 29.2"....not even in the ballpark of futility records. I will laugh if we get a big spring storm or something and in the end its not even a below normal winter :lol:

Well, we have lake effect bands that usually save us from futility. So I know we're pretty safe on most sucky years.

I won't be laughing, I want a storm. But I'm not optimistic. The overall pattern sucks big time as I said a few weeks ago. You may be able to remain optimistic by citing your climo statistics, but there's really nothing other than the fact there's 2 more months left to go.

So I will certainly welcome a quick end to this winter, and for the lakes to warm up so we don't get screwed from warm fronts stalling out at I-80.

Well, we have lake effect bands that usually save us from futility. So I know we're pretty safe on most sucky years.

I won't be laughing, I want a storm. But I'm not optimistic. The overall pattern sucks big time as I said a few weeks ago. You may be able to remain optimistic by citing your climo statistics, but there's really nothing other than the fact there's 2 more months left to go.

So I will certainly welcome a quick end to this winter, and for the lakes to warm up so we don't get screwed from warm fronts stalling out at I-80.

Citing climate stats is not being optimistic, its just stating facts that while a crap winter, its far from futility. The Nov snowstorm was the single most picturesque snowfall I have ever seen, so that definitely sticks in my mind as the highlight of the winter. I simply despise spring so I want a late winter and early summer :P and as for a storm...pattern be damned, a good snowstorm is definitely possible. We have been so spoiled in recent years, but really, most years only have one or two big synoptic storms in any given location in our region (and of course tons of small and mid size ones). It's not a constant train of them.

There were winters in Detroit's past with sub 20 inches... so the futility records were most likely not in play with 6 more weeks of true storm threats possible. I'm probably around 40 inches right now, but yes -- it has been a crappy winter locally.

Which is fine with me. I was able to work on outdoor projects straight through mid Jan. There have been minimal rough commutes and the heating bills have relaxed. We needed this and deserved it.

Which is fine with me. I was able to work on outdoor projects straight through mid Jan. There have been minimal rough commutes and the heating bills have relaxed. We needed this and deserved it.

People that don't like winter would agree with this.

AmWx is one of the few places where this isn't true. Don't expect us all to agree with that sentiment. Granted, there are certainly some that do.

The symbol in the American Weather logo is a lightning bolt, where as it should be a snowflake.

People that don't like winter would agree with this.

AmWx is one of the few places where this isn't true. Don't expect us all to agree with that sentiment. Granted, there are certainly some that do.

The symbol in the American Weather logo is a lightning bolt, where as it should be a snowflake.

Haha, yes!! Us winter-lovers need SOMEWHERE that we can interact with other "crazy" people...

Very boring winter, but it's not worse than 2011-12. This is a classic 1990's winter.

I disagree, 11-12 DJF snowfall at DTW was 25.2" of snow so far for the year we aren't even to that number and 6" of that came in November. So yeah this is worse than 11-12 unless we pull a miracle before the end of this month or have some sort of March surprise.

Very boring winter, but it's not worse than 2011-12. This is a classic 1990's winter.

No way is this winter worse than 2011-12. I would say 2011-12 was the worst winter I've ever experienced locally (worse than 1997-98) but being sandwiched by record snow it wasn't a big deal on the grand scheme. There are about 10 winters between 1881 and 1969 the likes of which we have never seen and I hope we never will. Made 2011-12 look ok lol.

I disagree, 11-12 DJF snowfall at DTW was 25.2" of snow so far for the year we aren't even to that number and 6" of that came in November. So yeah this is worse than 11-12 unless we pull a miracle before the end of this month or have some sort of March surprise.

Total season snowfall in 2011-12 was 26.0". We are currently at 20.7" with 2 months to go. We average 13" from here on out, so it doesn't exactly take a surprise to see snow. I give it a 75% chance we eclipse that 2011-12 number and even if we dont...there are many other factors from a winter perspective that make that winter worse than this one. It's more than just total snowfall imo.

Total season snowfall in 2011-12 was 26.0". We are currently at 20.7" with 2 months to go. We average 13" from here on out. I give it a 75% chance we eclipse that 2011-12 number and even if we dont...there are many other factors from a winter perspective that make that winter worse than this one. It's more than just total snowfall imo.

Like what made it worse? This winter has been abysmal on all accounts. Heck, December alone makes its way worse than 11-12. This winter has been torchy, snowless and grey.

Total season snowfall in 2011-12 was 26.0". We are currently at 20.7" with 2 months to go. We average 13" from here on out, so it doesn't exactly take a surprise to see snow. I give it a 75% chance we eclipse that 2011-12 number and even if we dont...there are many other factors from a winter perspective that make that winter worse than this one. It's more than just total snowfall imo.

This winter had a December that was one of the warmest on record, and also looks to go 3 for 3 above normal. Josh this winter is worse.

11/12 was sooo bad! That winter was a complete train wreck. At least we can look back at this winter and say we had a nice 6-18" snow event across the area. You can't say anything about 11/12.

If anything this reminds me of 95-96 minus the November storm. :yikes:

I had a bigger snow in 11-12 than this year. The storm for my area over to Powerball's was not great, I think I ended up around 4 1/2".

I was at 10 mile and Harper the morning after helping out my uncle outdoors. It was at least 6" from what I remembered.

I know what I measured, it wasn't 6", we had the dry slot all day down here. Just for reference so I know I am not crazy:

Just measured and called in 4.5" here in Eastpointe. Pretty good for my location though nothing like northwest of here.

Archived