joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015/16 Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread - Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Total season snowfall in 2011-12 was 26.0". We are currently at 20.7" with 2 months to go. We average 13" from here on out, so it doesn't exactly take a surprise to see snow. I give it a 75% chance we eclipse that 2011-12 number and even if we dont...there are many other factors from a winter perspective that make that winter worse than this one. It's more than just total snowfall imo.

Don't your hands smell from all that turd polishing?

People that don't like winter would agree with this.

AmWx is one of the few places where this isn't true. Don't expect us all to agree with that sentiment. Granted, there are certainly some that do.

The symbol in the American Weather logo is a lightning bolt, where as it should be a snowflake.

I think almost everyone here enjoys snowstorms, they however, don't enjoy living in a tundra climate.

This winter had a December that was one of the warmest on record, and also looks to go 3 for 3 above normal. Josh this winter is worse.

This winter has had more extreme cold and longer lasting periods of snowcover (granted, not by much) compared to 2011-2012, so that may be what he's referring to.

But at the end of the day, it's pretty much all boils down to which turd in the toilet you think was the biggest.

I had a bigger snow in 11-12 than this year. The storm for my area over to Powerball's was not great, I think I ended up around 4 1/2".

There were no significant snowstorms in 2011-2012, unless you count that Arctic Front that dumped about 3-4".

I actually enjoyed the November 2015 snowstorm. Besides 2/26/13, it was the best plastering I've seen in a long time. We also had very nice snowflake size and snowfall rates (about 3" fell in under 2 hours). Not to mention it was the biggest November snowstorm we've seen in over 30 years. 

It's all a matter of perspective though.

A place that almost never gets severe weather, of course they are going to get excited about an embedded frontal rain band. Oh and from the LSRs out of Upton, it produced nothing of merit.

True.

That's why I can never see myself living on the east coast, despite their great Big Dog climo.

But I will say parts of the east coast have been a lot more active on the severe weather front than the Detroit area the past 3 years (especially DC / Philly / Baltimore).

True.

That's why I can never see myself living on the east coast, despite their great Big Dog climo.

But I will say parts of the east coast have been a lot more active on the severe weather front than the Detroit area the past 3 years (especially DC / Philly / Baltimore).

Severe weather in the Detroit area is extremely overrated.

I would definitely say this winter is worse than '11-'12.  In '11-'12, we got no snow until January 12th, but winter was solid after that date and included snowstorms of 5.8, 3.9, and 4.0 inches.  This winter, we had a 6.2 inch storm in November, but it was all light to moderate snow and it all fell at night.  We also had a 4.1 inch storm after Christmas, but it was mostly sleet.  Take away those two storms, my biggest snow this winter has been 2.3 inches.  That's it.  We've only had a few inches of snow this winter during daylight.  In addition, each of the two bigger storms were immediately followed by melting.  We've barely had any snowcover at all all winter.

We are like +1 to +2 on the month.

That wasn't my point.

You are a minority on this forum. Quit talking like you're the class president. Most of everyone on this forum is here for the thrill of the storm, even the east coast. Look at how many people were here during Sandy.

If the east coast had more severe weather, there would be more activity during the summer.

You're here for the snowpack. You don't care how the snow falls as long as it does. HUGE difference. The sooner you realize this, the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC I gave 11-12 an F-.  At this point this winter is probably sitting at a D- or an F+ for here.  Without the Nov snowstorm and the severe/tornado event on Dec 23 this would be an easy F-.  Even though snowstorms in Mar or early Apr aren't quite as enjoyable (to me), if we manage to get something decent I could see us pulling out a D+ or even a C- lol.  

Don't your hands smell from all that turd polishing?

I forgot....dramatization and exaggeration ALWAYS win over fact on a weather board. I have repeatedly said this was a sucky winter, yet because Im stating its not the worst, im turd polishing.

Powerball summed up the difference quite nicely, but apparently it is necessary to do a side by side comparison of 2011-12 vs 2015-16.

NOVEMBER

2011-12: A flooding rainstorm at months end (wettest Nov on record) ended as a coating of snow (0.6"), the first measurable of the season, on the last day of the month.

2015-16: The November 21st snowstorm was the 5th largest November snowstorm on record at Detroit, and the calendar day snowfall of 6.0" on 11/21 was the largest calendar day snowfall on record for November. The snowfall was the most picturesque from a plaster perspective that Ive ever seen, and there were heavy rates during the evening.

DECEMBER

2011-12: A scenic 3.4" snowfall on the 6th melted in less than a day, the rest of the month characterized by bouts of rain and snow, though the snow never lasted.

2015-16: Warmest December on record, a few bouts of light snow which melted in a day. The sleet/ice storm on the 28th was pretty neat though.

JANUARY

2011-12: Several bouts of snow throughout the month, but the ground was never covered for more than a few days at a time nor deeper than 3". No snow was memorable

2015-16: A snowy week beginning with a rapid temp drop rain-to-snow scenario on the 9th followed by some true arctic cold for a little while. The snowpack peaked at 5-6" but became patchy on the 17th but was present until the end of the month, the the overall weather was inactive. For many areas north of Detroit there was a solid snowpack the entire time (9th through end of the month), not even close to that in 2012.

FEBRUARY

2011-12: The arctic front on the 11th brought brief whiteouts and was the only memorable event of the winter, as well as the largest (4.8"). It did last on the ground for 5 days, which was the longest of the winter.

2015-16: Several rounds of light snow with some embedded whiteouts last weekend have produced a light but solid snowpack. The last 2 weeks of the month TBD.

MARCH

2011-12: A harmless dusting of snow the first week then the inferno was on.

2015-16: TBD

Both January and February in 2016 will be colder than 2012.

Irony: To-date, my biggest snowstorm in 2015-16 has been 4.9", an exact match to my biggest in 2011-12.

Snowfall thru 2/16 was 21.6" in 2011-12 & 20.7" in 2015-16. Below normal but not terribly so. The absolute end of winter in Feb in 2012 is what made a sucky winter a terrible winter....it is TBD what happens in 2016, regardless of what some say. I will definitely bump this post too once 2015-16 is in the books in a few months. Thats when i will be able to say for certain which was worse...when this one has actually happened..

This winter had a December that was one of the warmest on record, and also looks to go 3 for 3 above normal. Josh this winter is worse.

This winter also had one of the biggest November snowstorms on record.

Yes this was the warmest Dec on record....and Jan and Feb will both be colder this year than 2011-12. And there will probably be more snow in the end. Like I said in my above post....come spring will be the final verdict. Everyone has their own opinion on what makes winter for them..and I can assure you there were less enjoyable things in 2011-12 for me (I did get to go to grayling in March 2012 when they had a big storm, im strictly talking mby). Regardless both winters sucked, and they have been surrounded by record snow so cant even say its a surprise. BTW what storm did you do better with in 2011-12? Unless it was the arctic front I cant remember any single event dropping 4"+ anywhere

This winter also had one of the biggest November snowstorms on record.

Yes this was the warmest Dec on record....and Jan and Feb will both be colder this year than 2011-12. And there will probably be more snow in the end. Like I said in my above post....come spring will be the final verdict. Everyone has their own opinion on what makes winter for them..and I can assure you there were less enjoyable things in 2011-12 for me (I did get to go to grayling in March 2012 when they had a big storm, im strictly talking mby). Regardless both winters sucked, and they have been surrounded by record snow so cant even say its a surprise. BTW what storm did you do better with in 2011-12? Unless it was the arctic front I cant remember any single event dropping 4"+ anywhere

I don't remember exactly but there was one storm that brought about the same amount of snow maybe a hair over. Either way both winters suck and I will be glad when we warm up here soon and move on from this bad winter.

Kinda hard for me to compare 11-12 and 15-16 given that I experienced them in 2 different places, but that being said, I'd give a slight edge to 11-12 in terms of being worse. 11-12 in LAF wasn't as bad as many other areas, relative to average, but it didn't really seem to have memorable moments for LAF (the late Nov snowstorm that year did most of its damage farther north/east). At least there have been a couple memorable moments this winter even with all the suckage.

Around here the 11-12 winter was quite a bit worse. Now if the November snowstorm, didn't happen it would be a lot closer. This winter it got a lot colder than 2011-2012. Thanks to the sleet storm, the snow and ice on the ground kept things looking wintry all of January.

If the area can pull off at least a moderate snowstorm before the end of March I would give it a C/C+

Archived