Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2015/16 Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread - Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine growing up in the 40's where these winters were a common occurrence. Although the old folks would tell you different.

Those same old folks probably did live through the 70s though, when the winters were legitimately rough.

So it's not so much that they're wrong, but that they're only remembering selective parts of the past.

Gonna finish DJF with 7.5" of snow total.  Two 1"+ events in that span, with the "heaviest" snowfall event of 2.4" (Feb 14).  Even that one stung as we looked like a shoe-in for 4-5" of fluff.  Just a complete FAIL of a winter for snow.  To top that off the normally reliable Euro trolls us into believing we could get at least a decent snowfall early next week, and then says psych.  

Compared to other areas I suppose. A 7 inch November storm, A big sleet storm, A 14 inch early February storm and the recent 10 inch storm were the highlights. December was of course a dumpster fire and January was nothing special. So, while we made out better than most, it still wasn't great. Depending on what March brings, I could end up with above average seasonal snowfall though. lol

Yeah... This is a home run compared to most of us.

I have watched a lot from the sidelines this winter and am so fed up with near misses, dry slots, marginal temps.  Next week's system will feature cold rain again after another decent weekend.  I keep hoping we have a decent weekend and then it doesn't flip back. 

I'm with ya.  I'm ready for the grass to grow and get rid of this mud!!

So I just received a book in the mail that is 330 pages long with every large snowstorm in Buffalo and WNY history. It goes back to 1812. It is the greatest thing I've ever purchased as a weather weenie. ^_^

I'm going to be more seasoned in our local climo than MSF is with Detriot. ^_^

According to that book, Buffalos largest synoptic storm is Feb 28th-March 2nd 1900 with 40" of snow. We have received quite a few 20" or larger synoptic systems in our history. Far more than I could ever even imagined.

So I just received a book in the mail that is 330 pages long with every large snowstorm in Buffalo and WNY history. It goes back to 1812. It is the greatest thing I've ever purchased as a weather weenie. ^_^

I'm going to be more seasoned in our local climo than MSF is with Detriot. ^_^

According to that book, Buffalos largest synoptic storm is Feb 28th-March 2nd 1900 with 40" of snow. We have received quite a few 20" or larger synoptic systems in our history. Far more than I could ever even imagined.

Would this by any chance be "The Buffalo Blizzard Book"? Great book! I purchased it a couple of years ago in Barnes and Noble when I was down in Buffalo.

Would this by any chance be "The Buffalo Blizzard Book"? Great book! I purchased it a couple of years ago in Barnes and Noble when I was down in Buffalo.

Yeah that's it. I have been looking for this information for years, and didn't know where to find it. The detail for each large storm is incredible. I am able to see storms throughout history here that I never knew even existed. There have been a few storms similar to Nov. 14 and some very large synoptic systems that I had no idea even happened here. Even snow in June in the year without a summer back in the 1800s due to the large volcano. Have been weenieing out all night to his thing. ^_^

After a winter like this one (I only have 29" and 75% of that came in 2 storms) spring fever is stronger than I can remember ever having, I can't wait for it to warm up and end this "winter". The 64 degrees I got today was nice :).

29" probably isn't far from average to date around there, right?

29" probably isn't far from average to date around there, right?

No it isnt. Average is about 34-36" I'd have to fact check to be sure, but as I said, the worst part of it is, is that it came in 2 storms while the rest of the season was either a torch, or cold/dry. 

Edit: Fact checked and Waterloo avg. snowfall is 35" and Cedar Rapids is 33." I'm in between the two, so it's about 34" so the word "only" doesn't really stress the snowfall amount but the frequency in which snow fell.

No it isnt. Average is about 34-36" I'd have to fact check to be sure, but as I said, the worst part of it is, is that it came in 2 storms while the rest of the season was either a torch, or cold/dry. 

Edit: Fact checked and Waterloo avg. snowfall is 35" and Cedar Rapids is 33." I'm in between the two, so it's about 34" so the word "only" doesn't really stress the snowfall amount but the frequency in which snow fell.

I said average to date though...according to this the average to date for Waterloo is 28.7"

http://kamala.cod.edu/ia/latest.cdus43.ALO.KDMX.html

Ah, ok. Then I'm about on point to slightly above average, I didn't see the to date part. My bad.

No prob.

Sounds like you're more of a consistent winter person rather than just being in it for the big storm, so in that sense, totally understand how this winter sucks.

Gonna finish DJF with 7.5" of snow total.  Two 1"+ events in that span, with the "heaviest" snowfall event of 2.4" (Feb 14).  Even that one stung as we looked like a shoe-in for 4-5" of fluff.  Just a complete FAIL of a winter for snow.  To top that off the normally reliable Euro trolls us into believing we could get at least a decent snowfall early next week, and then says psych.  

Wow...you sure have had a horrible winter. It's been awful here too, but nowhere near that bad.

Yeah that's it. I have been looking for this information for years, and didn't know where to find it. The detail for each large storm is incredible. I am able to see storms throughout history here that I never knew even existed. There have been a few storms similar to Nov. 14 and some very large synoptic systems that I had no idea even happened here. Even snow in June in the year without a summer back in the 1800s due to the large volcano. Have been weenieing out all night to his thing. ^_^

That's awesome. Apparently there is even a bigger weather weenie than you in Western New York who put all that together! :)

No prob.

Sounds like you're more of a consistent winter person rather than just being in it for the big storm, so in that sense, totally understand how this winter sucks.

Me too! We had 2 real WEEKS of "winter" in January, and that has pretty much summed up this whole season. Consistent winter all the way!

Blackrock, it didn't used to be this way. Milwaukee averages about 10" or so more than Chicago (I think it's even a greater discrepancy). Recently most of the Chicago and Detroit metro areas have outdone my totals, so it feels like the law of averages has to catch up soon.

That's what I hear from locals around here. In the 7 years I've lived here, I think the Groundhog's Day storm was the only synoptic system to dump more than a foot of snow...while other areas, particularly Kalamazoo to Lansing, keep getting the big ones over...and...over. I've come to accept that truly the systems either go up to Wisconsin and we get mixed junk/rain or over to Detroit and we get a couple inches at best. It's been that way pretty much since I moved here, so I'm getting sort of tired and ticked off about it. I'm so glad for the lake effect snow and clippers...but those have been lacking this winter too. :( My friends sure have been rubbing in it my face of how "wonderful" this winter has been. lol

After a winter like this one (I only have 29" and 75% of that came in 2 storms) spring fever is stronger than I can remember ever having, I can't wait for it to warm up and end this "winter". The 64 degrees I got today was nice :).

Damn, a pretty stout gradient between you and Hawkeye down in western Cedar Rapids.  Got him beat by over 10".  Quite the gradient.  Makes sense given that northern Iowa has seen about 6000% more than southern/eastern IA this "winter".

Wow...you sure have had a horrible winter. It's been awful here too, but nowhere near that bad.

Yeah we've had quite a few abnormally abysmal winters here recently.  Up until a few years ago we had a pretty nice run from 06/07 on.  04/05, and 05/06 were pretty crappy, but before that we had another decent run. 

I added a few annotations to my sig in the pic below.  

14a9934.jpg

Was gonna go to bed but sucked in to wait up for the 6z NAM. Oh well, don't know how many are left to track this winter.

I miss the days of eyes burning as I try to stay awake for a late night model run. Between getting older and gaining some apathy, and fewer model weenie runs, it's gotten easier to simply shut the computer down at night lately.

Was gonna go to bed but sucked in to wait up for the 6z NAM. Oh well, don't know how many are left to track this winter.

I think after this week, the risk of winter weather should almost diminish, at least here anyway, not just because climo says so, but things look awfully mild in the extended, especially in fantasy land.

It was 73 in Bismarck today - this winter just keeps getting more ridiculous. Of course all of the warmanistas that have infiltrated the board will think this is the best news ever.

I saw that on the Weather Channel this morning.  73 broke Bismarck's old February record by four degrees and it's the new February record for the entire state.

Archived