• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015/16 Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread - Part 2

Powerball

Pretty damn tired of this winter. Looking forward to next year, where maybe we can actually have a storm that doesn't make the models sh*t the bed.

Still hoping for a slight southward adjustment for the fgen band tomorrow, otherwise it's two misses within 50 miles north/south in a week.

Is it severe wx time yet?

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty damn tired of this winter. Looking forward to next year, where maybe we can actually have a storm that doesn't make the models sh*t the bed.

Still hoping for a slight southward adjustment for the fgen band tomorrow, otherwise it's two misses within 50 miles north/south in a week.

Is it severe wx time yet?

We're going to dominate next winter.  

I think one of the main things that will stick out in my memory about this winter will be the complete lack of clipper action here.  We usually do very well with clippers in this area in any given winter, but this season we pretty much missed every single one.  Of course, there really weren't that many clippers to miss I guess.  It's not unusual for us to get missed by some of the big southwest flow storms, or get grazed, but we usually get some decent consolation clipper action.  I think that's one of the major contributors to our awful snowfall here this season.  

What kind of temp departure are they seeing? Just no precip?

Jan and Feb were about +10 on temps and bone dry. Of course +10 departures in winter there are still cold.

I once went to Fairbanks in winter. Really interesting climate. It was -20 when I got off the plane and walked to the rental car lot. It was just another day there. That same weather in the lower 48 shuts everything down, but life goes on as usual there.

Clearly, there is no probable way for us to win with tomorrow's storm.

Either we're going to be dealing with thermal issues or the best QPF / snow amounts will split us to the NW and SE. 

Probably be best to just look forward to Summer at this point. 

On a side note, Roger Smith should stick to temperature forecasting.  The last two storms he has had really crazy calls within 24 hours of the storm.  I hope he was trolling rather than serious at this point.  Anyways, a disappointment but I wasn't surprised when I heard the low dewpoints that came with this air mass.

On a side note, Roger Smith should stick to temperature forecasting.  The last two storms he has had really crazy calls within 24 hours of the storm.  I hope he was trolling rather than serious at this point.  Anyways, a disappointment but I wasn't surprised when I heard the low dewpoints that came with this air mass.

he literally uses outer space (think saturn and moons and ****) to make his calls

one decent long range call and every one forgets that he's a total lunatic

he literally uses outer space (think saturn and moons and ****) to make his calls

But it's some well written heavy duty weenie shiat. When you've had the winter we've had it sucks you in. If I never hear RAP or SREF again it'll be to soon.

lol.... didn't he have today's garbage event dumping 12" on ORD?     

For our neck of the woods, the booby prize goes to DT.  He's had a hard on for giving CMH a snow storm all winter long.  I think at least 3 final call maps, possibly more, had us in the heaviest snow zone.   It was weird considering there was never model support.

I once went to Fairbanks in winter. Really interesting climate. It was -20 when I got off the plane and walked to the rental car lot. It was just another day there. That same weather in the lower 48 shuts everything down, but life goes on as usual there.

I know I am in an area that is the exception that proves the rule, but -20 shouldn't shut anything down in norther Minnesota or North Dakota.  Heck, this is my 9th winter on the mn/on border and I would guess I am close to 50/50 month of march temp reading getting -20 or lower.  -18 this morning, march 1st.

When Southeast Michigan has totaled more snow than me for the winter, it tells me how CRAPPY this winter has been here in comparison to theirs...

Lol

It's not like seMI snowfall has been stout just this season...try for like almost a decade. This area has been a magnet. Cue Josh.

When Southeast Michigan has totaled more snow than me for the winter, it tells me how CRAPPY this winter has been here in comparison to theirs...

I'm willing to bet that DTW has never had more snow than YBY. Now around Flint/Saginaw or The hills. That's a different story.

Measurable snowfalls have been so infrequent I can actually itemize them in a short list...

Nov 20-21   8.5

Dec 2           0.5

Dec 28         0.5

Dec 30         0.3

Jan 9            0.8

Jan 11          0.2

Jan 12          0.6

Jan 19-20    1.6

Feb 8            0.2

Feb 9            0.4

Feb 14          2.4

Total            16.0   

Looks like we're heading towards an F- afterall unless March delivers something special.  The severe weather in Nov and Dec was cool, and helped to add interest to the season, and the high wind event the other day did as well.  However, from a traditional winter weather perspective this el nino winter was a trash heap of a winter to say the least.  Only 3 events achieved snowfall amounts of 1" or more.  That's utterly pathetic.  

EDIT:  DVN even worse than here at only 15.4" for the season.

Now that winter is all but over I guess we can finalize the grade for the season.  F- it is.  8" of snow between Thanksgiving and the end of the season is about as bad as it gets.  I don't know what kind of grade this winter would have received without the Nov snowstorm.  I guess an F-- lol.

DVN will finish with an appalling 16.2".  

I'm willing to bet that DTW has never had more snow than YBY. Now around Flint/Saginaw or The hills. That's a different story.

In recent years DTW has certainly seen more synoptic snow than blackrock. TOTAL snow including les? Not a chance. Not even sure about Flint or Saginaw. They don't average that much more than Detroit. The hills are another story.

Archived