joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8th Monster Ocean storm obs and hallucinations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just glad I moved to RI after being in socal for 6 years.  You end up counting every flake of your blessings.  

This one stings a bit though. We had about an hour if that at the beginning, and since then the situation has trended toward the inevitable.  By the time that band fights its way over here it will be half dead.  

I've not seen any bigger coastal storm, whether we're on the fringe or right at ground zero, not produce twice as much snow as here, within 30 miles of my location, ever.  Even last year which was insane tantalizingly east was just a very good winter here, nothing close to historic.

oes

I'm not sure its OES but probably part of it.   I just think RI is far enough inland in these easterly flow events that the low level wind coming off the ocean sees increased friction with land as it moves onshore so there's some speed convergence as the air subtly slows down as it moves onshore.  That causes an "air pile-up" like on an interstate, causing enhanced lift in SE Mass (or at least that's how I see it).  The fall out from that is sinking air as it moves into RI.  Almost creating a standing wave pattern of constant upward motion over SE Mass and downward motion in RI before you hit the mid-level banding further west.   Coastal front likely plays a role too.  Basically the lift is fairly stable and not moving over SE Mass and causes a downwind sinking motion over RI.  Almost as if there was a mountain ridge line somewhere in SE Mass with downsloping downwind into RI.

Likewise, to the north it may happen a little bit in parts of interior eastern Mass, but then you have the ORH Hills that will off-set any low level downward motion and cause upslope... so you don't see a similar hole to the north.  I bet if the ORH Hills weren't there, interior eastern Mass might see a similar phenomena. 

Band in SE CT/Western RI finally looks like it's on the move. Still heavy snow here but ceiling is lifting.

21.8/18 - Moderate to heavy snow/blowing snow. Visibilities under 1/4

Not showing signs of letting up in the SE part of town just yet.

Close to another inch has fallen in the last hour since the band moved in - about 3.5 to maybe 4" total.(tough to measure accurately)

We dry. 

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON/...

1010 AM...PRECIPITATION SHIELD CONTINUES TO EVAPORATE ON THE

NORTHERN PERIPHERY. WHILE BOSTON IS RECEIVING WIND DAMAGE AND

NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE OCCURING ON THE CAPE...SO FAR NO SNOW

HAS REACHED THE GROUND IN NH OR MAINE DUE TO THE VERY DRY AIRMASS

IN PLACE. NORTH WINDS CONTINUE TO DRAW DRIER AIR SOUTH AND IN FACT

DEW POINTS ARE DROPPING IN MUCH OF THE REGION. NEAR ZERO OR

NEGATIVE DEW POINTS WILL KEEP SNOW ALOFT EVAPORATING INTO VIRGA

FOR SEVERAL MORE HOURS.

DP dropped to -11F here in SVT

I'm not sure its OES but probably part of it.   I just think RI is far enough inland in these easterly flow events that the low level wind coming off the ocean sees increased friction with land as it moves onshore so there's some speed convergence as the air subtly slows down as it moves onshore.  That causes an "air pile-up" like on an interstate, causing enhanced lift in SE Mass (or at least that's how I see it).  The fall out from that is sinking air as it moves into RI.  Almost creating a standing wave pattern of constant upward motion over SE Mass and downward motion in RI before you hit the mid-level banding further west.   Coastal front likely plays a role too.  Basically the lift is fairly stable and not moving over SE Mass and causes a downwind sinking motion over RI.  Almost as if there was a mountain ridge line somewhere in SE Mass with downsloping downwind into RI.

Likewise, to the north it may happen a little bit in parts of interior eastern Mass, but then you have the ORH Hills that will off-set any low level downward motion and cause upslope... so you don't see a similar hole to the north.  I bet if the ORH Hills weren't there, interior eastern Mass might see a similar phenomena. 

It all goes hand-in-hand....oes is accentuated by the cf and slight topography, as well.

Whatever wish to call it, the hole is a result of the aggregate CJ phenomena imo......especially as large scale synoptic forcing abates..

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0094.html

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0094
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1130 AM CST MON FEB 08 2016

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF ERN MA...FAR ERN NH...RI...ERN CT...AND
ERN LONG ISLAND

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 081730Z - 082230Z

SUMMARY...HEAVY SNOWFALL...WITH RATES OF 1 INCH/HR COMMON...WILL
LIKELY CONTINUE UNTIL AROUND 22Z. BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL REMAIN
LIKELY ACROSS SERN MA...INCLUDING THE CAPE AND ADJACENT ISLANDS.

DISCUSSION...RADAR IMAGERY AS OF 1715Z ACROSS THE REGION DEPICTS
SEVERAL BANDS OF ONGOING MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW ASSOCIATED WITH A
STACKED UPPER/SFC LOW ESE OF THE NEW ENGLAND COAST. TENDENCY WILL BE
FOR THESE MESOSCALE BANDS TO SLOWLY SHIFT EWD TOWARDS THE COAST
THROUGH 22Z AS THE UPPER/SFC LOW CONTINUE QUICKLY NEWD AND AWAY FROM
THE MCD AREA. ACROSS WRN PORTIONS OF MA/CT...ONE OF THESE MESOSCALE
BANDS IS STRUGGLING TO PRODUCE ANY MORE THAN MODERATE SNOW PER SFC
OBSERVATIONS AND REPORTED SNOW TOTALS. THIS MAY BE DUE TO AN
INTRUSION OF DRY LOW-LEVEL AIR EVIDENT ON THE 12Z KGYX SOUNDING AND
IN RECENT SFC DEWPOINTS AOB 10 DEG F LOCATED IN THIS AREA.

FURTHER E ACROSS THE DISCUSSION AREA...SFC DEWPOINTS ARE GENERALLY
HIGHER...AND A STRONG NLY/NELY FETCH OFF THE ATLANTIC SHOULD
ENCOURAGE HIGHER SNOWFALL RATES AROUND 1 INCH/HR. A STRONG PRESSURE
GRADIENT AND NELY LOW-LEVEL JET...PARTICULARLY OVER SERN MA
INCLUDING THE CAPE/ISLANDS...WILL CONTINUE TO PROMOTE NEAR-BLIZZARD
TO BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ACROSS THIS REGION. RECENT SFC OBSERVATIONS
INDICATE REDUCTIONS IN VISIBILITY AOB 1/4 MI WITH HEAVY SNOW AND
SUSTAINED WINDS OF 20-35 KT...WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 KT AT KACK.

Archived