joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 7 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll get crucified for it, but the 12z GFS ensemble mean did look eerily similar with the low placement and 500mb cutoff/stack to 1973.

I decided to look back at that because of 3 or so SREF members having 18 inches + around here.  Which should probably be tossed.

I'll get crucified for it, but the 12z GFS ensemble mean did look eerily similar with the low placement and 500mb cutoff/stack to 1973.

I decided to look back at that because of 3 or so SREF members having 18 inches + around here.  Which should probably be tossed.

There's clearly a chance someone in SC could get 18+ inches from this. We're talking about bombogenesis just off the coast. This event may turn out to be largely a bust, or it could go down in the record books.  It will be fascinating to watch it play out.  

Fishel just showed precip probabilities for sunday...  mentioned all rain.  did not mention anything frozen.

In fairness, this potential storm barely brushed the WRAL baliwick. Fayetteville appears to be on the fringe currently. It behooves him to be conservative, rather than get the snow hounds up in a lather. He can always adjust tomorrow, but you can't take away snow, once it's been promised.

In fairness, this potential storm barely brushed the WRAL baliwick. Fayetteville appears to be on the fringe currently. It behooves him to be conservative, rather than get the snow hounds up in a lather. He can always adjust tomorrow, but you can't take away snow, once it's been promised.

No reason to promise. Could easily mention the possibility though. Just seems the logical thing to do. TW

I just talked to a contractor friend working in Myrtle Beach, he said local weather has not mentioned anything about winter weather. Said mentioned cloudy and possibly rain showers? He left early this morning to come back here so didn't hear anything today. Is this going to be a surprise for the locals?

We're talking about it here. 

There's clearly a chance someone in SC could get 18+ inches from this. We're talking about bombogenesis just off the coast. This event may turn out to be largely a bust, or it could go down in the record books.  It will be fascinating to watch it play out.

This has heartbreaker written all over it :lol: but I've got to admit, if it happens, it will be fun to watch it unfold :)

RAH has a HWO out for the eastern 3rd of the CWA.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
334 PM EST FRI FEB 5 2016

NCZ027-028-042-043-077-078-085-086-088-089-062045-
NASH-EDGECOMBE-JOHNSTON-WILSON-HARNETT-WAYNE-SCOTLAND-HOKE-
CUMBERLAND-SAMPSON-
334 PM EST FRI FEB 5 2016

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY.

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST
SATURDAY NIGHT AND THEN DEEPEN RAPIDLY ON SUNDAY. PRECIPITATION
WILL SPREAD INTO THE COASTAL PLAIN LATE SATURDAY AS A MIX OF RAIN
AND SNOW...BEFORE LIKELY CHANGING TO ALL RAIN BY SUNDAY
AFTERNOON. LITTLE TO NO ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED. THERE IS STILL
FAIR AMOUNT OF UNCERTAINTY WITH THIS SYSTEM AND RESIDENT OF
CENTRAL AND EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA SHOULD STAY TUNED TO THE
LATEST FORECAST UPDATES.

An then from the MHX AFD

BEST THREAT FOR ANY WINTRY PCPN WOULD BE INLAND

WHERE THERE IS A LOW CHANCE THAT DYNAMIC COOLING COULD BE STRONG
ENOUGH TO PRODUCE A NARROW SWATH OF SNOW OR A RAIN SNOW MIX.

Kind of a weird setup, the cold pool associated with the H5 is pretty much what the guidance is banking on for areas to flip.  Not often you see Summerville to Florence flirting with a SN sig, while Wilmington to Fayetteville then up here could be just rain.

I do not think this is locked in by any stretch as indicated above.  This is still a below confidence system with enough uncertainty to keep everyone's interest for the next 24hrs, mine included.

We're talking about it here. 

I will gladly forego anything up here to see your area pick up it's seasonal avg x5.  My snow battery is pretty full at the moment, granted, it is always nice to see it in ones own backyard, but after what we saw in NoVa a couple weeks ago, I am good to go, it's eastern SC's turn, you guys are past due.  :)

KCHS is closely monitoring this scenario and at this time will not hoist up winter storm watches. However, the afternoon AFD was a very good read and well thought out and includes the potential for convective elements causing bursts of quick accumulating wet snow.

Temperatures tomorrow and when clouds fill in in this region could also have significant impacts on how much or little things need to cool down the SFC and atmosphere but this is going to be a highly dependant rates and dynamic cooling event.

Archived