• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 7 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

man, talk about stress! Nothing on one model and planning a short trip to west charleston to ground zero in another. I wonder if mets die soon after retirement from a stress related heart attack similar to police officers

This seems like a snow chasers worst nightmare. Nobody has any clue where ground zero will be.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well since that run misses many of us, lets hope Stormsfury gets that 17+ inch amount too at his place. He deserves it.

If the GFS holds, then I can finally sleep.

Hell, I'll take the 8.0" snowfall shown on the clown map. If that map actually verified that would be the KCHS CWA crusher because it seems to only cover that area if responsibility.

The NAM is really putting emphasis on that comma-head.

Hell, I'll take the 8.0" snowfall shown on the clown map. If that map actually verified that would be the KCHS CWA crusher because it seems to only cover that area if responsibility.

The NAM is really putting emphasis on that comma-head.

I'll be making an unannounced visit to your front yard if it looks to happen.  The Hi-Res was warmer at 850, didn't check other temps.  The upper level low tracked over you.. but not quite sure if it was before or after the majority of the precipitation.

I have asked before, are hi res models different logic or just a higher level of detail.  It looks like the low res has to smooth out the details and we may not like the finer details of the higher resolution???  Anyway, the crush zone changes with the hi res but there still looks to be one. someone is going to get it with this one, just a matter of where.  Places with no snow removal and big live oaks and long leaf pines may have real problems with this.  

yea 4k nam keeps some hope alive, precip shield much further west.  not sure if it has any merit though.  tomorrow we will be in the range of the hrrr and rap so it should give us a better idea.  

I will go ahead and pull the model hallucination card, there are suplte differences between the NAM and RAP valid 18z tomorrow, 1pm eastern.  After the boxing day storm here, when everything lost it, only for the RAP to come back in the home stretch with a phasing of the parcels, yeah, I learned.  The WPC model diagnostic disco from that event is buried here somewhere, I do remember verbiage to the effect of "all models appear to be suffering from feedback" and that was inside 24hrs, RAP range.

NAM

nam_namer_018_500_vort_ht.gif

RAP

rap_namer_018_500_vort_ht.gif

That piece at the base, vortmax SW of the vortmax, RAP has a little separation, NAM is congealed, RAP also has the kicker (yeah, not really, but lets go with it for a moment), in a better position to inject in to the short wave quicker, vortmax in SE OK vs NE TX.  Metaphysical assumptions will stop, sorry.

How similar is this to the coastal storm of 24Dec1989? I was living in Georgetown SC at the time. We received 12 plus inches of snow while areas 15 miles west received less than 6 and areas 30 miles west less than 3.

How similar is this to the coastal storm of 24Dec1989? I was living in Georgetown SC at the time. We received 12 plus inches of snow while areas 15 miles west received less than 6 and areas 30 miles west less than 3.

A lot of similarity with the exceptions that 1989 had solid arctic air in place and also cropped up in the near term that left forecasters constantly adjusting upwards throughout the Dec 1989 event.

Good post WeatherNC explained quite a bit of things I had questions about. If you get a chance explaining dynamic cooling would be nice seeing as this system is going to need it.

A few thoughts on this...dynamic cooling mainly deals with vertical motion in the atmosphere.

When air sinks, it compresses and warms.  When air rises, it expands and cools.

In general, precipitation comes from the combination of moisture and rising motion (lift).  Heavier precipitation comes from more intense rising motion and an air column loaded with moisture.  Areas with heavier precipitation associated with intense rising motion can experience an increase in the cooling of the air column.  So, in the case of this storm, you could possibly have an area of heavier precipitation that becomes just cold enough for snow, while an area 30 miles away is experiencing lighter precipitation and rain.

A few thoughts on this...dynamic cooling mainly deals with vertical motion in the atmosphere.

When air sinks, it compresses and warms.  When air rises, it expands and cools.

In general, precipitation comes from the combination of moisture and rising motion (lift).  Heavier precipitation comes from more intense rising motion and an air column loaded with moisture.  Areas with heavier precipitation associated with intense rising motion can experience and increase in the cooling of the air column.  So, in the case of this storm, you could possibly have an area of heavier precipitation that becomes just cold enough for snow, while an area 30 miles away is experiencing lighter precipitation and rain.

Thanks for the explanation. You guys have a lot of information on weather and I have learned a lot. Here is to hoping we all get snow from this storm.

The 00z NAM & 00z GFS sealed the deal for the Midlands of South Carolina for the most part with the model watching.  It's worth checking out the radar, current soundings, and short range HRRR/RAP modeling from here on out.

While the 00z HI-RES NAM had some mixing for areas of the Midlands, I am not at all excited about that possibility.  The French model is interesting and I am pulling for it to verify and surprise all of us.

Archived