joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 7 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really no crazy changes on 00z NAM vs 18z.  Low a bit stronger, maybe colder for some around Beaufort, SC etc... 

Looks like another coastal area hit for SE SC/GA.  Appreciable precipitation away from CAE for the most part on these poop maps.  Maybe higher resolution maps will show more.

Barring a crazy change from the Euro or GFS operationals, I think this is about it for the actual track.

In this scenario, when would the RDU area want the low to cutoff? I know it's unlikely for us to see much of anything at this point, but one can still hope.

For those in central NC, you would want to see a cutoff in MS/AL with the trough turning neg at that time.  The H5 low would have to track ENE from there, going through SC and off around ILM with rapid deepening.  Here it is tracking almost due east through central GA, off around CHS, before vertical stacking and bombogenesis occur.

ALLCAPSPROGRAMMER asked about dynamical cooling, we will save the in depth for another day, but areas that are currently progged for a potential flip to heavy wet snow, are under that H5 core as it passes overhead, or just to the ene as it rapidly deepens off the coast.  

This is getting so close to something big.

I just keep thinking more often than not systems like this come more NW than just head out to sea. If the models are even just a little off, this could be a much bigger deal here, and most of them have been trending more west than not today.

This run ended the "trend" for the NAM.

I just keep thinking more often than not systems like this come more NW than just head out to sea. If the models are even just a little off, this could be a much bigger deal here, and most of them have been trending more west than not today.

I'm sorry but I don't really see how it's getting closer to something big for NC. U are saying a 200mile shift is small within 30 hours.... 500mb patterns haven't rly trended much for 2-3 runs on nam so don't see much room for change.

It already is a big time storm, this is the equivalent pressure wise of a Cat 1 on the NAM at 51 hrs, heading for the 970 something range.  MHX is already talking about high wind warnings for coastal counties.

refconus.png

Well since that run misses many of us, lets hope Stormsfury gets that 17+ inch amount too at his place.  He deserves it.

If the GFS holds, then I can finally sleep.

I would love for the NAM to verify and if it does I'll be heading to SE GA tomorrow night. Screw work lol. But I seriously doubt it will be anything close to what that map is showing. There's not even any snow in the forecast for most of those areas in SE GA.

How can the Hi-Res be so vastly different ? I mean it's showing no snow for areas that the regular NAM is showing 18" ?

Glancing over it quickly, the heavy precip avoids those areas to the at/South of CHS proper... but thats just looking quick and yeah.. stupid NAM.

Archived