joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Discussion

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some nice totals there. I thought you guys would have received a little bit more than that. We have been struggling at my location for snow, but the usually snowbelts have been doing decent south of here. Perrysburg received 83" in January. They are still running really below normal and haven't hit 100" for the season yet.

parts of the western UP and Keweenaw are in the 130-150" so far, Munising is just over 100", MQT is around 80" (normal to this point for them is 122")... and I'm sitting at 96" for the season.  Keep in mind, as of Dec 14th I had only had 14".  If normal snow falls from here on out, I should receive another 90-100".

Still sitting around 40" below normal too. Good stuff!

parts of the western UP and Keweenaw are in the 130-150" so far, Munising is just over 100", MQT is around 80" (normal to this point for them is 122")... and I'm sitting at 96" for the season.  Keep in mind, as of Dec 14th I had only had 14".  If normal snow falls from here on out, I should receive another 90-100".

Still sitting around 40" below normal too. Good stuff!

Most of NWL is still down as well, made a little headway in Jan but due to the drought at the beginning of winter when we usually accumulate the most LES playing catch never bodes well for LES areas. I'm close to 80" ytd imby APX is around 75". Poor Sault is way behind. Be interesting to see what Feb does normally get around 40" this Month. 

snowtable.png

Most of NWL is still down as well, made a little headway in Jan but due to the drought at the beginning of winter when we usually accumulate the most LES playing catch never bodes well for LES areas. I'm close to 80" ytd imby APX is around 75". Poor Sault is way behind. Be interesting to see what Feb does normally get around 40" this Month. 

As you know well, snow belts can lay down some impressive totals in a few days.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Gaylord finish with 125" or so. You're getting into the time of year when N lake MI is normally freezing up and it's fairly open still.  This bodes well for you.  Superior wide open too.

Saw a few windswept flakes pass by the street lights a little while ago as I took the trash out to the curb.  Stars were shining above as this was happening.  Maybe I was hallucinating, not sure.  Each flake is precious this season, so even a few rogue flurries can set the heart a fluttering like a first date with a new chic.

Trash Can Flurries....winter of our discontent.

As you know well, snow belts can lay down some impressive totals in a few days.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Gaylord finish with 125" or so. You're getting into the time of year when N lake MI is normally freezing up and it's fairly open still.  This bodes well for you.  Superior wide open too.

Normally with a wide open Lake Mich this time of year I would be ecstatic but with the El-Nino still flexing muscle I have tempered my enthusiasm greatly. At the beginning of the winter I thought I would be lucky to hit 100" this winter.  UP hasn't been much better obviously but still have plenty of time especially with this upcoming cold shot next week. 

Blizzard watch up for north central IA for 2" of snow on Sunday - but very windy.

...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS POSSIBLE OVER NORTH CENTRAL IOWA SUNDAY
AFTERNOON INTO MONDAY MORNING...

.LIGHT SNOW IS FORECAST SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY MORNING
WITH SNOWFALL AMOUNTS UP TO 2 INCHES POSSIBLE. VERY STRONG WINDS
ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP BY SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND PERSIST THROUGH
MONDAY MORNING. WIND GUSTS IN EXCESS OF 45 MPH WILL CREATE
CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF THE NEW SNOW AND OF THE
EXISTING SNOW PACK DURING THIS PERIOD. BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL BE
POSSIBLE ALONG WITH NEAR WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.

First part of the day was very sunny here, but now clouds are rolling in with some virga overhead.

Makes me realize how special of a stretch we were in. Our trace melted lol. We did have some semblance of snowcover most of January, but really only that one week was picturesque. The most beautiful thing about winter this year was the morning of NOV 22.

Maybe for you guys. That one mostly missed us over here, as usual. We had a couple inches that quickly melted the weekend after...Two weeks in January with lake effect were pretty much it so far.

Makes that trace we have now look even worse.

Makes me realize how special of a stretch we were in. Our trace melted lol. We did have some semblance of snowcover most of January, but really only that one week was picturesque. The most beautiful thing about winter this year was the morning of NOV 22.

My area was actually in the bullseye of Thursday's snow showers, so we had about 1" of snow on the ground when it was all said and done (and even a modest plastering on everything). I noticed considerably less snow in North Warren and on the lower eastside of the city, in comparison.

The snow showers were surprisingly intense too with quarter-sized flakes. The best part though is none of it stuck on the streets, lol. 

But with the exception of feeble patches on the north side of homes, it's now all gone. 

Incredible late winter day here.

It's cold with that wind but the sun makes it seem nice. Anytime we can have sun in the winter it's a nice day. Lol.

Today was meh. We were essentially on the edge of the cloud deck all day, so there were many cloudy intervals and not as much sun compared to areas Downriver and south of I-94.

Archived