Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2016 Discussion

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff Bo. Radiational cooling can be amazing and almost impossible to forecast accurately. 2 or 3 days ago, who would have thought there would be -30 to -40 temps in parts of the UP.

Actually Amasa did indeed hit -40, coldest temp recorded in the UP since 96. Amazing to accomplish in a super Nino.

Watertown NY set a monthly record for February low temperature this morning going back to when they started taking records at the airport in 1949. It got down to -37.  That is not even close to the New York State record however which was set in none other than Old Forge when it got down to −52 °F / −46 °C February 18, 1979

Buffalo's low temperature of -12f this morning is the coldest temperature in over 30 years. Since January 1982.

Watertown NY set a monthly record for February low temperature this morning going back to when they started taking records at the airport in 1949. It got down to -37. That is not even close to the New York State record however which was set in none other than Old Forge when it got down to −52 °F / −46 °C February 18, 1979

Buffalo's low temperature of -12f this morning is the coldest temperature in over 30 years. Since January 1982.

Great! That is very surprising. I thought it would have been colder several times in Buffalo since then - perhaps Jan 2014, Jan 2009, dec 2000, feb 1996, Jan 1994, dec 1989, Jan 1985, dec 1983?? Or maybe the relatively warm lake modifies things more than I realize??

Good stuff Bo. Radiational cooling can be amazing and almost impossible to forecast accurately. 2 or 3 days ago, who would have thought there would be -30 to -40 temps in parts of the UP.

...and 40 and rain forecasted Friday!

Actually Amasa did indeed hit -40, coldest temp recorded in the UP since 96. Amazing to accomplish in a super Nino.

not only that but I got this from MQT:

The -40F minimum temperature observed in Amasa this morning was the lowest recorded temperature across the United States (including Alaska) for 2/14/16.

pretty crazy! 

Edit: Actually, looks like -40ºF was a tie with the Mount Washington reporting station. 

...and 40 and rain forecasted Friday!

not only that but I got this from MQT:

The -40F minimum temperature observed in Amasa this morning was the lowest recorded temperature across the United States (including Alaska) for 2/14/16.

pretty crazy! 

Yea not very happy about the end of the week forecast with warmth and rain, we will be up in Christmas

Great! That is very surprising. I thought it would have been colder several times in Buffalo since then - perhaps Jan 2014, Jan 2009, dec 2000, feb 1996, Jan 1994, dec 1989, Jan 1985, dec 1983?? Or maybe the relatively warm lake modifies things more than I realize??

Yeah its tough to get extreme cold here. Which is good, I hate the cold. The coldest temperature ever was -22 or -23 I believe. Watertown gets really cold though, not sure about that location buts its insane cold over there. The coldest New York temp ever was Old Forge at -52 in 1979.

Too bad "Dreaming of a White Valentines Day" is not as catchy as dreaming of a White Christmas.

Detroit has had no problem having blankets of snow and cuddle alerts on Valentines Day the last decade.

Feb 14th snow depth at DTW since 2006:

2006: 1"

2007: 8"

2008: 4"

2009: 2"

2010: 6"

2011: 9"

2012: 3"

2013: T

2014: 16"

2015: 13"

2016: 2"

DTW bottomed out at -1F this morning, coldest temp of this winter.

Serene winter day. Love winter days with a dark gray overcast and white snow

4564-800.jpg

Nice scene there, Josh.

Was a beautiful, sunny day right up until the end.  took this pic right as the snow started to move in.  just fluffy mood flakes tho.  high of 17... crazy south winds

For me, winter peaked today.

Nice scene there, Josh.

Was a beautiful, sunny day right up until the end. took this pic right as the snow started to move in. just fluffy mood flakes tho. high of 17... crazy south winds

For me, winter peaked today.

IMG_4094 (2).JPG

Gorgeous as always. A little sun today bit as usual clouded up fast. But thats ok because I love gray winter days. The other pic was a bit too bright

4565-800.jpg

Surprised we made it below zero at Detroit in such an extreme El Nino winter. I feel like I can remember many neutral winters where we never made it below zero.

It's also cool seeing the lake influence temps in the UP, a dozen or so miles away from a -35 reading, it's 4 above and several degrees warmer than Detroit some 300 miles to the south.

Surprised we made it below zero at Detroit in such an extreme El Nino winter. I feel like I can remember many neutral winters where we never made it below zero.

It's also cool seeing the lake influence temps in the UP, a dozen or so miles away from a -35 reading, it's 4 above and several degrees warmer than Detroit some 300 miles to the south.

My hotel in Marquette Saturday night never dropped below zero. 20 miles to the east of me, it was -35.

I rode through that area a few hours earlier and it was about -20F.

Freezing drizzle for several hours after the snow moved north left things quite slippery throughout the day, & temps never got as warm as projected. Add a dark gray overcast, and the snow didn't budge and any untreated surfaces are still an ice rink.

Had no idea you guys got socked with freezing drizzle, after the snow moved north. We had hoar frost on the trees this morning, include that fresh 1.8" snow, and idk something about the hoar frost, and fresh snow, makes a surreal scene, picturesque.

Archived