Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Discussion

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do u have any snow OTG?

Yeah, but it's very patchy now. Thought we would make it to this week with a nice base layer for the new snow...but after this stupid thaw, we definitely have more grass than snow now. Before this weekend, there was a higher amount of snow to grass ratio. That has now switched the other direction. So, with a thawed out ground, I can easily see this being an early spring where our snowpack doesn't remain until April.

Another top shelf late winter day here. Mild temps and sun. Spring isn't far off and you can start feeling it.

I liken this to the final scene of "Glory", when they were rolling through the fort and thought victory was in hand.. Just had to get over that hill.

A 3-4 day cold snap sandwiched between positive departures isnt rare. It's still Feb. But you can tell winter is dying.

Winter is dying because the average temp is going up. The coldest weather of the entire winter is moving in and being reinforced. Only people who don't follow models or weather would say winter is dying based on one week of upper 40s.

Winter is dying because the average temp is going up. The coldest weather of the entire winter is moving in and being reinforced. Only people who don't follow models or weather would say winter is dying based on one week of upper 40s.

I'm starting to think it may be a cold start to spring.

It could be a torch, who knows.... I'd like to see winter stay normal till around March 15th... it can do whatever from that point. I'd love a super warm April and May.

I agree. I hate working in cold weather in April and May. All that weather does is stack up hoodies in my work truck from peeling off layer after layer. #clutter.

Was nice to see a few mood flakes flying around today.  Our dusting has largely melted/sublimated away, but there are a few patches of snow left here and there.  

EDIT:  Yeah I did say melted.  I was surprised that any snow would melt as cold as it is, let alone how much melted.  Must be some residual warmth left in the top soil as I don't think the sun is strong enough at this point on a cloudy day.

NWS DLH: :shiver:

AS HIGH PRESSURE CENTER SETTLES NEARLY OVERHEAD FRI
NIGHT/SAT..CLEAR SKIES/LIGHT WINDS/LONG NIGHT AND DEEP SNOW PACK
COMBINED WITH HOW COLD IT HAS ALREADY BEEN FOR SEVERAL DAYS SHOULD
RESULT IN MANY AREAS WELL INTO THE -30S ACROSS INTERIOR NRN
MINNESOTA SAT MORNING. DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH WINDS CAN DIMINISH..A
FEW OF THE TRADITIONAL COLD SPOTS /EMBARRASS, COTTON, CRANE LAKE,
TOWER, BRIMSON, ETC/ COULD MAKE A RUN AT -40F.
IT SEEMS LIKELY
THAT ANOTHER WIND CHILL ADVISORY OR WARNING WILL BE NECESSARY FRI
NIGHT/SAT MORNING FOR MANY AREAS.

24 today. The 0.6" that fell over a 2-day period a few days back has completely disappeared except in shaded areas. Back to looking like November. Think we've only had an inch or more of snow on the ground less than a week this entire cold season.

Yup. Not much better over here bud. It is what it is.

After the usual days and days of overcast, sun broke through later this afternoon and made for a nice sunset

4556-800.jpg

I like it when there is a few cumulus clouds in the sunset. They light up nicely.

Looks like a solid snow cover.

----

@ Blackrock - Yeah when I take pics I try to avoid man made objects overall. Power lines are the worst, imo. I'll go out of my way to avoid them in a shot. But when you have just minutes to get a good sunset picture, you take it when you can. 

I like it when there is a few cumulus clouds in the sunset. They light up nicely.

Looks like a solid snow cover.

----

@ Blackrock - Yeah when I take pics I try to avoid man made objects overall. Power lines are the worst, imo. I'll go out of my way to avoid them in a shot. But when you have just minutes to get a good sunset picture, you take it when you can.

Yes it's a solid snowcover. Not deep but solid. We have only had solid cover this winter Nov 21-25, Jan 10-17, Feb 9-present. By solid I mean no patches of grass (pretty much the rest of Jan after the 17th we had patchy cover, along with a few scattered days in Dec). It's an adjustment coming after 2 consecutive winters of winter-long deep snowcover (which set records), but it's not in the least unexpected. In fact, the "law of averages" plus a strong nino winter, & one of the things I was most confident in for this winter was below normal snowcover. Doesn't make me happy but doesn't surprise me.

I agree and bout man-made objects but in this case I was driving and struck by the pretty sunset. That's the beauty of smart phones. Something pops up and you can snap a pic. Just a few short years ago if you didn't have your camera, you missed photo ops all the time (or settled for a grainy, archaic cell phone pic lol).

Wow Stebo, looks like the beginning of a snowstorm there. 

---

Yeah on the topic of pictures. Before digital cameras became popular and cell phones came with good cameras, I would miss all kinds of photo opportunities and if you had a film camera on you, you had to use your film conservatively. That seems like it was ages ago, but really only about 10 years ago.

Wow Stebo, looks like the beginning of a snowstorm there. 

---

Yeah on the topic of pictures. Before digital cameras became popular and cell phones came with good cameras, I would miss all kinds of photo opportunities and if you had a film camera on you, you had to use your film conservatively. That seems like it was ages ago, but really only about 10 years ago.

It was legit that is for sure, I'd say with that band most places caught around an inch in the matter of about 20 minutes so you know it meant business.

Archived