joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Discussion

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't you think that the se ridge would retrograde a little given the position of the -epo ridge?

Well see how the wave packet turns out. Ensembles typically broaden wavelengths too much due to member smoothing so the SE ridge could broaden.  It goes both ways--the low height centre could always end up further east. The potential is there.

Another thing to consider is the STJ. The weaker the STJ, the greater the opportunity for a system to wrap up/intensify.

Well see how the wave packet turns out. Ensembles typically broaden wavelengths too much due to member smoothing so the SE ridge could broaden. It goes both ways--the low height centre could always end up further east. The potential is there.

Another thing to consider is the STJ. The weaker the STJ, the greater the opportunity for a system to wrap up/intensify.

I also heard the eps was stormy. Let's hope.

Another top shelf late winter day. Mild temps, some sun and chirping birds. You can sense spring isn't far.

Ditto. Maxed out at 53 here, 3 straight 50+ reading in a row. Was an absolutely gorgeous day, usually when it's this warm in winter, you have howling south winds, 0 wind today. Gonna fire up the grill for some burgers.

I showed my wife those before and after pics and asked her where she thought that storm ranked all time and she said her guess would be around 15th. I would have guessed the same if that was our backyard/climo like she assumed it was. I didn't tell her the location of the pictures were not here in southern Wisconsin. Pictures just never do snow storms justice. How much snow fell to record the 3rd biggest storm on record there?

I showed my wife those before and after pics and asked her where she thought that storm ranked all time and she said her guess would be around 15th. I would have guessed the same if that was our backyard/climo like she assumed it was. I didn't tell her the location of the pictures were not here in southern Wisconsin. Pictures just never do snow storms justice. How much snow fell to record the 3rd biggest storm on record there?

Detroit recorded 16.7" of snow (#1 was 24.5" & #2 19.2"). This areas speciality is frequent snowfall and a typical good winter storm is in the 6-12" range, rarely going past a foot. Even in the record winter of 2014 when the landscape had depths of 2 feet and drifts more than double that, the largest single storm was just over 11". So to blow past the foot barrier by nearly 5" last year was quite nice.

Made it to 43° with a lot of sun on Monday. Ice/snow pack starting to break up, but enough coverage still to tack on another day to the 36 day streak. Might end tomorrow.

This time last year we were wrapping up a blizzard. 15.5" from that storm.

post-7389-0-15563200-1454394143_thumb.jp

Made it to 43° with a lot of sun on Monday. Ice/snow pack starting to break up, but enough coverage still to tack on another day to the 36 day streak. Might end tomorrow.

This time last year we were wrapping up a blizzard. 15.5" from that storm.

attachicon.gif20150201_1427351.jpg

Nice.  Yep this time last year we were living the high life.  We had 15.1" here, which was well over what I expected.  At the time I was just hoping we'd get our first warning criteria event since Feb 2011.  Storm far exceeded expectations.  

Here's a few pics.

Top pic here shows the siberian elm in backyard which was severely damaged by the heavy snow that caked to the branches and broke off several large sections of the tree.  The tree was eventually taken down about a month later after the snow was melted.  

2ywet1v.jpg

99ihc7.jpg

116jggi.jpg

Looks like the first 10 days of February are ruined before we know it March will be here

Yeah the first half of Feb is pure trash.  Complete throw-away stretch of time.  Hopefully the last half of Feb and March bring something that's worth a damn.  Given the way this winter is going we'll either see another cutter that dumps snow well northwest, or another east coast bomb.  Hopefully that's not the case.  Luckily we're about done with this pos winter.

Decided to sum up monthly snow totals thus far off of the EC website for Windsor. To date 42.3cm or 16.7in has fallen where there has been a big percentage of on melting on contact snow within this data set. Need some true stat padding or perhaps a moisture laden southern storm or this winter will be the #1 clunker in my book.

Driving around the region I was thinking on how dry the soil looks for this time of year. With the lack of frost and moisture lacking from snow melt I can all but wonder what spring/summer will hold. Given the lock in the La Nina and its typical data sets which follow. I can see some very hot any dry regions this summer. 

Decided to sum up monthly snow totals thus far off of the EC website for Windsor. To date 42.3cm or 16.7in has fallen where there has been a big percentage of on melting on contact snow within this data set. Need some true stat padding or perhaps a moisture laden southern storm or this winter will be the #1 clunker in my book.

Driving around the region I was thinking on how dry the soil looks for this time of year. With the lack of frost and moisture lacking from snow melt I can all but wonder what spring/summer will hold. Given the lock in the La Nina and its typical data sets which follow. I can see some very hot any dry regions this summer.

The upcoming pattern keeps the dry train rolling.

Decided to sum up monthly snow totals thus far off of the EC website for Windsor. To date 42.3cm or 16.7in has fallen where there has been a big percentage of on melting on contact snow within this data set. Need some true stat padding or perhaps a moisture laden southern storm or this winter will be the #1 clunker in my book.

That's not far off from DTW (15.9"). In the states we don't count melting on contact snow as anything but a trace. Canada snow measuring ways are funky lol. Count melt on contact snow as 10-1 ratio by moving a decimal point, then if snow blows out of a nipher gague, too bad this storm gets a lower than realistic snow total :lol:

That's not far off from DTW (15.9"). In the states we don't count melting on contact snow as anything but a trace. Canada snow measuring ways are stupid lol. Count melt on contact snow as 10-1 ratio by moving a decimal point, then if snow blows out of a nipher gague, too bad this storm gets a lower than realistic snow total :lol:

fyp. It's really third world stuff up here.

The counting of wet snow happens at primary stations (ie, stations that have nipher gauges) which is a blessing I guess because it mitigates some of the loss from snow blowing out of the gauge.

fyp. It's really third world stuff up here.

The counting of wet snow happens at primary stations (ie, stations that have nipher gauges) which is a blessing I guess because it mitigates some of the loss from snow blowing out of the gauge.

lol. It is very strange. I get the mitigating thing but it would drive me mad. Measure each snow as properly as possible!

Looking forward to a few mood flakes tomorrow morning.  Although some models don't even give us that, so I'm hoping we can at least see a few flurries for awhile.  Here west of the lakes we don't benefit from lake effect flurries on an otherwise "off day" for weather.  Only flakes we see are from passing synoptic crap.

Archived