joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Discussion

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here. MPX tweeted out this morning that the snow we got last night was 90:1 ratio. Talk about off the charts. I don't recall ever seeing a ratio that high.

I was just about to post this with the same caveat about where it goes... Lol. Seriously... 90:1? That blows even lake effect fluff out of the water. We had about half an inch but you could still see through it to the surface Beneath.

Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here. MPX tweeted out this morning that the snow we got last night was 90:1 ratio. Talk about off the charts. I don't recall ever seeing a ratio that high.

Don't you think that it is hard for snowflakes to land in a 8" wide standard rain gauge if the wind is blowing? Is this a main reason why you can get insane ratios-- 1/2" of snow on the ground, and not a lot of flakes made it to the bottom of the rain gauge?

Was out on lunch in Farmington Hills when the whiteout front hit. I called my mom, she was like "just flurries here but the north sky is very dark". About 20 minutes later she texted me "holy ****!" Then on the way home, driving in and out of clearing skies and squalls, then 5 minutes from home I hit a whiteout like I havent seen in a while. It was so brief but so intense that some cars pulled off the road.

Drive out of town yesterday was brutal. Staying for the weekend? May have a shot of another LES event later tonight/tomorrow but there's a chance it may set up shop just west of the city.

Back in TO.  All the mesos have the band effecting the London area in some way, with the heaviest precip NW. Pretty good consensus for 0.3-0.4" of QPF through tomorrow night. With good ratio's I'm thinking 3-6" is likely--heaviest amounts west.

Radar has a convoluted look.  Winds are out of the NNW which should set up the heavy stuff in the west side but right now the whole city is getting nailed,   but the main streamer is coming in east of Goderich and hooking into the area from the east.  What that means for here - damned if I know........... but if it keeps up all night

Had a brief frontal squall around 6:45- 7 pm. Looks like a really bitter air mass settling in for the weekend. Have decided to do my day trip to Ottawa on Sunday as opposed to tomorrow. Driving conditions look better on Sunday and also skating in minus 18 celsius (zero fahreheit) weather with sunshine and light winds is more appealing than minus 25 celsius with windchills of minus 40.

Radar has a convoluted look.  Winds are out of the NNW which should set up the heavy stuff in the west side but right now the whole city is getting nailed,   but the main streamer is coming in east of Goderich and hooking into the area from the east.  What that means for here - damned if I know........... but if it keeps up all night

The HRRR has nailed the setup so far. The convoluted mess will shift south and fall apart. A single huron band should emerge and move through the city before stalling to the west. The band drifts north again tomorrow.

Enjoy!

Archived