joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Discussion

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We lost some snow today dude. And Im not sure where you got forecasted highs of mid 30s or higher. I had a predicted high of 31-32 today.

I literally have a depth stick in the ground and the snow did not budge. I suppose maybe it did on the edges of salt splashed interstates. It was a settled snowpack dotted with freezing glaze on top and temps below freezing under thick stratus...why would it? And the forecast high each of the last 2 days was 35-36 for dtw, which dtx already lowered a few degrees from the computer forecast numbers. Not sure where YOU are getting 31-32, unless they were 3pm updates with downgraded highs by dtx. It means nothing by fri but it is what it is

Beautiful day with blue skies and a fresh snow cover.

Friday definitely looks like the warmest day here.

I don't know about 57° in the grid, but mid 40s seem likely. GFS, NAM brings the warm front up to the I-88 corridor and hovers it there through Saturday. Wondering how much of an impact the clouds associated with the low over Superior will have on temperature predictions.

Mid 40s? You could tag 60 even up there if the Euro is right with its 925 mb temps of +11 to +13C. I'm not at work to check but I suspect that the NAM and GFS both are projecting there to be snow on the ground on Friday, which keeps 925 mb and boundary layer temps cooler and mixing shallower than what will occur in reality. Also the NAM has high low level RH, probably because of thinking there will be snow on the ground. Euro is more likely to be closer to correct with this setup. The dry air advecting in behind the front will also help mixing and efficient surface warming. Clouds shouldn't be an issue either with the dry airmass advecting in.

Got a coating of snow yesterday, just enough to be irritating, but not so much that it needed shoveling, so I just let it clear up on it's own.  I am not sure, but, it seems like throughout January sunny days were at a premium. After this winter, I am really looking forward to spring.  Getting a weather station in the next couple of weeks, so I am looking forward to getting that set up.   

Sweet.  What you going with?  I've had a Vantage Vue for almost 5 years.  Works great.  Only thing I've had to do was replace the 3v lithium battery a few times.

Forgot to mention that DVN is thinking high-end advisory or low-end warning type wind event for Fri.  

Part of their disco from this morning...

HOWEVER...TO GET
THIS WARM WEATHER IN WINTER YOU NEED TO CRANK UP THE WIND MACHINE.
MODELS DEPICT 55-70 KNOT 850 MB WINDS OVER THE AREA THURSDAY NIGHT
AND FRIDAY SO HOLD ONTO YOUR HAT! THE DEEP MIXING WILL OCCUR ON
FRIDAY DUE TO SUNSHINE ALLOWING FOR VERY WINDY CONDITIONS...WITH
WEST WINDS GUSTING EASILY OVER 40 MPH WITH SOME GUSTS POTENTIALLY TO
NEAR 50 MPH. AT THIS TIME THIS LOOKS TO BE EITHER A HIGH END WIND
ADVISORY OR LOW END WARNING CRITERIA...BUT IT IS TOO EARLY FOR ANY
HEADLINES YET. MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES ON FRIDAY WILL SOAR INTO THE 50S
NORTH AND 60S SOUTH BUT AS IT STANDS NOW RECORD HIGHS ARE NOT IN
JEOPARDY.

Mid 40s? You could tag 60 even up there if the Euro is right with its 925 mb temps of +11 to +13C. I'm not at work to check but I suspect that the NAM and GFS both are projecting there to be snow on the ground on Friday, which keeps 925 mb and boundary layer temps cooler and mixing shallower than what will occur in reality. Also the NAM has high low level RH, probably because of thinking there will be snow on the ground. Euro is more likely to be closer to correct with this setup. The dry air advecting in behind the front will also help mixing and efficient surface warming. Clouds shouldn't be an issue either with the dry airmass advecting in.

I didn't know about the EURO at the time, so I was wondering what model you were going off of. It sure wasn't the GFS or NAM, or even the GEM. GEM did show low 50s here on the 12z. 

Well hopefully there's no lake breeze.  :lmao:

High of 29° today. Sun felt warmer though and with light winds.

Plains are gonna torch hard this weekend. Our record highs should be safe, record high for 2/19 is 68 degrees set back in 1930, we are forecasted at 64, should be safe, providing nothing crazy happens. Saturday 2/20 record high is 66 (1930 again) that too should be safe.

Wow 1930 must have been crazy warm.

Forgot to mention that DVN is thinking high-end advisory or low-end warning type wind event for Fri.  

Part of their disco from this morning...

HOWEVER...TO GET

THIS WARM WEATHER IN WINTER YOU NEED TO CRANK UP THE WIND MACHINE.

MODELS DEPICT 55-70 KNOT 850 MB WINDS OVER THE AREA THURSDAY NIGHT

AND FRIDAY SO HOLD ONTO YOUR HAT! THE DEEP MIXING WILL OCCUR ON

FRIDAY DUE TO SUNSHINE ALLOWING FOR VERY WINDY CONDITIONS...WITH

WEST WINDS GUSTING EASILY OVER 40 MPH WITH SOME GUSTS POTENTIALLY TO

NEAR 50 MPH. AT THIS TIME THIS LOOKS TO BE EITHER A HIGH END WIND

ADVISORY OR LOW END WARNING CRITERIA...BUT IT IS TOO EARLY FOR ANY

HEADLINES YET. MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES ON FRIDAY WILL SOAR INTO THE 50S

NORTH AND 60S SOUTH BUT AS IT STANDS NOW RECORD HIGHS ARE NOT IN

JEOPARDY.

Seems like wind advisories may be issued from eastern Iowa into Ohio

Plains are gonna torch hard this weekend. Our record highs should be safe, record high for 2/19 is 68 degrees set back in 1930, we are forecasted at 64, should be safe, providing nothing crazy happens. Saturday 2/20 record high is 66 (1930 again) that too should be safe.

Wow 1930 must have been crazy warm.

1930 ended up being a hot summer, especially farther west in the Plains.

Big upgrade/changes just went live to our HRRR on CoD site with new products and graphics just an FYI

Nice.  Any chance at getting wind speeds added to the surface height?  You can see the barbs of course in a few of the selections, but for ease of use having the color filled wind speeds like the other heights would be great.

Btw, surprised you haven't lobbied for the 24hr RUC backup to be added.   :lmao:

Sitting comfortably at 22°. Almost all snow has melted, but still enough to make ramps out of for RC cars, haha. 

Amazing how much warmer it is by you.

16° colder here than at ORD right now. 11° imby currently.

2.5" of snow still on the ground here.

Edit: Just noticed single digits in the Fox Valley up this way.

I didn't know about the EURO at the time, so I was wondering what model you were going off of. It sure wasn't the GFS or NAM, or even the GEM. GEM did show low 50s here on the 12z.

Well hopefully there's no lake breeze. :lmao:

High of 29° today. Sun felt warmer though and with light winds.

In our verification stats the past several years, ECMWF guidance, including bias-corrected and MOS products, tend to perform very well with temperatures. This has been noted consistently during cool season warmups. The bias corrected GGEM and RGEM have also performed well with MaxT on warm days.

There are times where the raw GFS is right for the wrong reasons, but it is more often than not the worst performing temperature guidance. Hopefully the next upgrade coming soon helps in this regard.

Regarding the NAM, it can perform decent at times with temperatures, but it has a recurring problem with initializing with snow cover too deep, snow cover where none exists, or holding onto snow cover too long. As I mentioned in the previous post, this manifests itself with a low level cool/moist bias, cooler than in reality at 925 mb, and shallower mixing than what verifies.

I still think the Euro will end up having performed the best with the warmth on Friday, and the 00z run was even slightly warmer than the 12z run, bringing mid 60s to Chicago and low 60s to Lake County. I think 60s will be widespread into northeast IL, unless it gets ruined by a lake breeze with SW winds gusting to 45 mph ;).

Point now at 61 for tomorrow.  The patches of snow currently on the ground will be gone by sunset today with the upper 40s.  

Wow...just about shorts weather.  Enjoy that.  We should make 50F Fri/Sat...but the winds will be blowing.

I see out in S Dakota they are showing winds in the mid 60s...  with temps today in the mid 70Fs in areas east of Rapid City.

In our verification stats the past several years, ECMWF guidance, including bias-corrected and MOS products, tend to perform very well with temperatures. This has been noted consistently during cool season warmups. The bias corrected GGEM and RGEM have also performed well with MaxT on warm days.

There are times where the raw GFS is right for the wrong reasons, but it is more often than not the worst performing temperature guidance. Hopefully the next upgrade coming soon helps in this regard.

Regarding the NAM, it can perform decent at times with temperatures, but it has a recurring problem with initializing with snow cover too deep, snow cover where none exists, or holding onto snow cover too long. As I mentioned in the previous post, this manifests itself with a low level cool/moist bias, cooler than in reality at 925 mb, and shallower mixing than what verifies.

I still think the Euro will end up having performed the best with the warmth on Friday, and the 00z run was even slightly warmer than the 12z run, bringing mid 60s to Chicago and low 60s to Lake County. I think 60s will be widespread into northeast IL, unless it gets ruined by a lake breeze with SW winds gusting to 45 mph ;).

Thanks for the info. 

I know the EURO can do well with setups like this as long as clouds don't get in the way.

Was a cold night last night with a low of 10° early. Had to crank the heat up.

At 29° with cloudy skies.

Archived