SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2016 Discussion

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's clear that warm fronts probably won't have a hard time clearing I80 this year!

And yes, this weather is amazing. To hell with winter.

Might be a favorable year for severe weather locally in that case. Add in the factor that the lakes are above normal at this point as well.

Let's at least focus on getting rid of the perpetual Pacific ridge (and there are no immediate signs of that happening) before jumping the active severe weather season band wagon.

Let's at least focus on getting rid of the perpetual Pacific ridge (and there are no immediate signs of that happening) before jumping the active severe weather season band wagon.

If we can get the season started in March for once, the season will be long and eventually something will line up. Going from March to July and fail the whole way is pretty unlikely in my book.

Lack of snow cover for late Feb in the region shows exactly what a crap winter this has been.  Wouldn't be surprised to see seasonal snowpack gone in March this year. And I think I'm fine with that too.
Made it as high as 39 on Friday and I lost around 4" of snow the past couple of days and even had .10 of rain.  The road around here didn't melt at all, just got  wet/icy.  21 this morning (15 degrees above normal) so everything is froze back up... need a couple inches of snow on the road before I try driving on it.

Bo - can't believe your normal low is still 6, even in late Feb.  I imagine Feb isn't much warmer than Jan at your location, due to snow cover and the (usually) frozen Lake Superior.  You probably have the coldest annual avg. temp in the U.S. east of the Rockies, except for Mt. Washington NH...or pretty close to it.

At some point, your avg. temps probably climb very quickly...but not until May??  For comparison, here are the 1981-2010 normals at ORD on the 15th of every month.  Of course, there is some UHI influence.  So, IMBY in SW Lake County, about 20 miles N of ORD and a bit more rural, you can probably take 1-2 degrees off these numbers, especially in the Winter and for nighttime lows.

1/15:  31/16

2/15:  35/20

3/15:  46/29

4/15:  59/39

5/15:  70/48

6/15:  80/58

7/15:  85/64

8/15:  82/63

9/15:  75/55

10/15:  63/43

11/15:  49/33

12/15:  35/21

Today was actually pretty nice with a temp in the low 40s and light wind.  Tuesday should be the same, except a couple degrees warmer.  We'll get a couple chilly, breezy days as the big storm turns up to the east, but this weekend has some nice potential.

New Euro says meh to this weekend's system.  As soon as the GFS came on board with something similar it regressed to a weak upper MW pos clipper.  You can't make this stuff up man.  You just have to laugh at this point.  

Mixed stats in February so far for CMH. Above average snowmall, 7.8" which is +3.0" to date. However, season to date is 13.2" which is -6.9" to date. Temps were +10 in the first week, -15-20 the second week, but have rebounded nicely to +10 again in the 3rd week. To date, +0.1F for the month. Temps close to +10 again today and tomorrow, average looking temps through the end of the month should end us slightly above or at average. Huge turnaround compared to 2014 and 2015, like most I'm sure.

Def a early spring look to some areas here..after the torch fall and record warm Dec followed by the snow and sleet storm in late Dec encasing the greener grass in until last weekend really insulated it in from what little cold we did get.. Plus well I didn't cut the grass a final time in fall so it's really long lol

Gotcha.  The nice thing about us getting screwed with tomorrow's system will be that we'll have bare ground that will quickly warm up this weekend.  50s in the point for sat.  

Yep.  This is the time of year I'll take either a big snowstorm or a weekend torch.  The euro has now brought 60 degrees up to Cedar Rapids Sat/Sun for several runs in a row, and the GFS, while not as warm, has trended much milder.  I think I may grill burgers and dogs Saturday.

Yep.  This is the time of year I'll take either a big snowstorm or a weekend torch.  The euro has now brought 60 degrees up to Cedar Rapids Sat/Sun for several runs in a row, and the GFS, while not as warm, has trended much milder.  I think I may grill burgers and dogs Saturday.

Yeah mid 60s on Sunday now as well.  Hell, let's go for 70!  :sizzle:

Bare ground here now as well, and it will certainly help temps warm up nicely this weekend. Record high at MSP is 54 on Saturday and we have a decent shot at that. All of this while the annual Winter Carnival is being held in downtown STP.  :ee:

That record will be gone. Saturday is going to be top notch.

Hoping that snowcover won't hold temps back too much this weekend, though with melting probably being somewhat limited in the next couple days, I'd have to think it's going to cap the warmup over what it could be.

Depends how much sunshine we get over the next 2 days, cement or not, the sun is going to do work. Then once we get to the weekend if the snow pack has been halved we will end up warm still. I do expect it to be windy as well which will help out on snow melting/sublimating.

Archived