joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Discussion

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's so nice outside but you can't even go enjoy it, with the brutal winds out there. Willard airport in savoy measured a non thunderstorm wind gust of 48mph about an hour ago. Also the record of 63 set back in 1973 has officially been broken as CMI stands at 66 degrees.

2nd broken high temp record for the month. Complete 360 from February 14' and 15'.

Reached 60°, but now clouds have taken over the skies aggressively. Starting to hear Red-winged blackbirds in the wetlands - a sign that spring is almost here.

The return of red-winged blackbirds and robins is something I always look forward to.  The last couple years it has been around March 15th, so I'll likely have to wait until the next warmup during the second week of March.

The return of red-winged blackbirds and robins is something I always look forward to.  The last couple years it has been around March 15th, so I'll likely have to wait until the next warmup during the second week of March.

I haven't seen any red-winged blackbirds yet, but spotted some robins a couple of days ago.

Getting some strong wind gusts, verifying the advisory criteria. Got a couple of pretty good grass fires going and some trees down across roads.

It's so nice outside but you can't even go enjoy it, with the brutal winds out there. Willard airport in savoy measured a non thunderstorm wind gust of 48mph about an hour ago. Also the record of 63 set back in 1973 has officially been broken as CMI stands at 66 degrees.

2nd broken high temp record for the month. Complete 360 from February 14' and 15'.

yeah unfortunately winds almost always accompany and spoil these kind of freak days and especially this winter.  Its a good day for all the McDonalds wrappers from winter to blow up in to the tree's and add some foliage, Bass bumpers are out in full force with their graffiti arms dancing out the windows.

Temp has actually bumped back up a few degrees after the sun came back out.  Up to 63 now.  Cold front on the doorstep.

Must have been about literally true, as in the 10 minutes after that post it has fallen back to 60.  Interesting little bump up in temps by a few degrees immediately ahead of the cold front.  That was kind of strange.  

Must have been about literally true, as in the 10 minutes after that post it has fallen back to 60.  Interesting little bump up in temps by a few degrees immediately ahead of the cold front.  That was kind of strange.  

I've seen that happen on several occasions through the years. Temp jumps 3-5° within an hour of the front moving through, always with a dry passage.

I've seen that happen on several occasions through the years. Temp jumps 3-5° within an hour of the front moving through, always with a dry passage.

Yep.  Weird thing is I thought maybe the front had gone through earlier, as the winds had veered a little, and the temp dropped a few degrees.  Turned out the temp drop was more due to the thick cirrus that moved overhead.  Then once that cleared out, which just happened to be right ahead of the front we bumped up pretty quickly.  Have since dropped back to 58, so a 5 degree drop the last 30min.  I see Sterling just bumped up to 63 from 61, so they're seeing the same thing happen up there.

Old FWA high temp record crushed:

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
429 PM EST SUN FEB 28 2016

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT FORT WAYNE...

AS OF 4 PM EST...A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 66 DEGREES WAS SET AT
FORT WAYNE. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 59 SET IN 1931. THIS
STATEMENT WILL BE UPDATED IF THE RECORD VALUE INCREASES THIS
AFTERNOON.

Also, the area getting raked by high winds (I wonder if the Crows Nest got blown out of the tree):

LOCATION SPEED
EAGLE CREEK AIRPARK AIRPORT     51 MPH
INDIANAPOLIS, IN                                51 MPH
KOKOMO MUNICIPAL AIRPORT          51 MPH
2 NW CROWS NEST                            49 MPH
HULMAN REGIONAL AIRPORT            49 MPH
MONROE COUNTY AIRPORT              47 MPH
2 ESE LAPEL                                       47 MPH
2 NE PLAINFIELD                                47 MPH
PURDUE UNIVERSITY AIRPORT         47 MPH
COLUMBUS MUNICIPAL AIRPORT      46 MPH
3 ENE BURLINGTON                            46 MPH
SHELBYVILLE MUNICIPAL AIRPOR    46 MPH
MT COMFORT AIRPORT                     46 MPH
DAVIESS CNTY AP                               45 MPH
DELAWARE COUNTY-JOHNSON FIEL 45 MPH

Impressive temp drop the last 2-3hrs.  Down to 46 now with a few sprinkles.  17 degree drop.

Make that 42 now with a pretty decent rain shower.  Feels absolutely miserable out there with the rain and the 35mph+ gusts.  That's one hell of a change from the outstanding weather from just 3hrs back.  21 degree drop.

Drove through an incredible superfront today, going up to Musokoka for the day. While it was bare ground and in the upper 50s here in Toronto, it was in the upper 20s with a deep snowpack in Bracebridge and Huntsville in Muskoka. I essentially drove from spring to deep winter and back to spring in one day! Between Bracebridge and Orillia, the temperature rose a full 10 degrees celsius!

Apparently we broke the record of 65 set back in 1895, according to Fabert. Always cool to see a 120 year old record go down, we hit 66 this afternoon. Sky has that deep blue thunder storm on the horizon look to it right now, hello spring.

A line of t'storms have developed along the IL/IN border, NE of Champaign.

Archived