Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys...for those who measure the liquid from snow I'm curious what some of you had for your storm yesterday.  I had 0.06" of rain, followed by 2.8" of snow which melted down to 0.44", giving me a total storm liquid of 0.50".  Snowfall ratio was a very wet 6:1 which reflects all the melting during the daylight hours.

I ended up with a storm total of 7.7" of snow which melted down to .62" of liquid.

Thanks for some of your readings.  Looks like ratios of 7 or 8 to 1 for most, especially east where more snow fell (accumulated).  I can't remember already what the forecasted liquid was for this event by the models.  I'm guessing it was over 0.50"?

Monday's storm is beginning to look pretty good.  Last night the GFS gave all of us 6-10" of all snow.  My season total is standing at 37.8", so a tad over seasonal climo with a fair amount more to come it would seem.

As far as the upcoming arctic cold, are we still forecast to drop to close to -30 at 850 at the peak?

Thanks for some of your readings.  Looks like ratios of 7 or 8 to 1 for most, especially east where more snow fell (accumulated).  I can't remember already what the forecasted liquid was for this event by the models.  I'm guessing it was over 0.50"?

Monday's storm is beginning to look pretty good.  Last night the GFS gave all of us 6-10" of all snow.  My season total is standing at 37.8", so a tad over seasonal climo with a fair amount more to come it would seem.

As far as the upcoming arctic cold, are we still forecast to drop to close to -30 at 850 at the peak?

From what I can tell next week's storm is looking significantly worse for the entire eastern half of PA...at least.  

Specifically, the 12z Euro run. 

Yeah, not liking the trends of the 12z's.  Its not over, but west has been the general shift and with the indicies where they are, this one might be in trouble.  Only hope is how the models underplay the cold and CAD, and often trend back to colder solutions (but in this case, would be ZR for a time.  

I hope tonight or tomorrow brings it back as it would be nice to CPA and NEPA get into a good one.  

On the bright side, it looks like relax and reload is more likely.  Not the winters over crap (although for some, I guess it never started).

Nut

Yes I was here and have love and thunder snow memories  from PD2  and all the rest of Cpa big events. But being born a few hours before Pd1  puts it in my top 4 favorite winter storms. Sometimes when its cold and snowy and I am having fun I like to let it go in my pants. It makes me feel like a kid again. 

Well, even if we get depressed over next week's storm, it's looking like we may get to enjoy a repeat of last February's incredible snow squall episode.  Afternoon disco from CTP seems really bullish on major squalls accompanying the arctic front tomorrow evening, even talking about thunder snows.  I remember we had 2 major snow squall episodes during last winter, a couple weeks apart.  Were they both in February?  The second one of those two I think was around the 14th.  While I was at home and got to enjoy the entirety of the first squall event from the comfort of my living room, I literally ran into the second one while on my way home from work.  I knew I was going to hit it, but I wasn't sure where I'd be when it hit.  All I can say is that it was the most dramatic, whiteout conditions I had ever experienced.  At one point I literally had to stop driving because I couldn't see beyond my windshield and lost my bearings of where the road was.  The winds were howling and it was an incredible, and somewhat frightening experience.  I managed to crawl my way to a spot off of the main road where I knew I'd be safe, and then I waited it out.  But it continued for at least 15 minutes with true blizzard conditions.  Maybe we'll get to experience the same thing again tomorrow night?  This time I'll be back in my home where I can enjoy it safely again.  Arctic fronts with their associated squalls are among the most exciting of weather experiences for me, because after the snow comes the rapid drop in temperatures behind the front, along with all the blowing and drifiting.

Anyone think this event might top last year's?

Last year's big squall here in the LSV hit on the evening of the 14th. We were out for dinner like many others when it came through around 7pm. I ended up with about 1.5" out of it. Ironically to the south it performed even better...I think some areas around D.C. got upwards of 3". They still talk about that event as one of the highlights weather wise for the entire year down there. 

If said squall happens, what time does it look like it might hit. I'm going to be getting back to Hazleton from Connecticut late tomorrow evening (thanks to the shippers screw up today). I really hope such a condition doesn't happen. That's when some of the worst freeway catastrophes occur, and I'll be traveling on I-80 from New Jersey into PA.

Voyager all I know is late afternoon/early evening.

Last year's squall was wild.

My wife's uncle is driving here from Columbus tomorrow, should arrive around 6:30 pm. That'll be interesting.

Then Saturday we have to be in Pottsville at 11 am for a gravesite burial service. We are all going to join the deceased by freezing to death.

Voyager all I know is late afternoon/early evening.

Last year's squall was wild.

My wife's uncle is driving here from Columbus tomorrow, should arrive around 6:30 pm. That'll be interesting.

Then Saturday we have to be in Pottsville at 11 am for a gravesite burial service. We are all going to join the deceased by freezing to death.

Thanks...and sorry for your loss.

Most of it is verbatim, and especially by those hours.

So tired of hearing about NEPA....you will have your years, it is a cycle. and in these situations you usually fair well better than southern sections. WMPTSX was doing reverse psych weeks ago and said he didn't care about any winter weather but every event he is commenting. You will get your snow be patience and laugh at us when it happens.

GFS & Canadian both trended better with snow for PA.

The low on both models heads from near Norfolk &

Then hugs the coast up to NYC.

The GFS, before any change over to Ice/rain delivers

Around 6 inches of snow to the I-81 corridor from Harrisburg to Scranton.

State College & Altoona are the big winners, with amounts near 1 foot.

The Canadian brings around 10 inches of snow to the I-81 corridor from Harrisburg to Scranton. There is less precip back into State College/Altoona on the Canadian, so they only get around 6 inches this run.

Good trends so far tonight, hopefully the Euro will agree later on...

So tired of hearing about NEPA....you will have your years, it is a cycle. and in these situations you usually fair well better than southern sections. WMPTSX was doing reverse psych weeks ago and said he didn't care about any winter weather but every event he is commenting. You will get your snow be patience and laugh at us when it happens.

The man has sit on the wrong side of a gradient for almost every big event for nearly 10 years now while those to the south and east have cashed in. Now there is a good storm with good qpf and it's possible that half (or perhaps even more than half ) falls as liquid. I'm not a snow lover and it even gets frustrating for me sometimes. Let the man have his say. Read the post (or not) and just move on...

The man has sit on the wrong side of a gradient for almost every big event for nearly 10 years now while those to the south and east have cashed in. Now there is a good storm with good qpf and it's possible that half (or perhaps even more than half ) falls as liquid. I'm not a snow lover and it even gets frustrating for me sometimes. Let the man have his say. Read the post (or not) and just move on...

I agree Steve. Honestly, the complaining used to really annoy me (and I often said as much and called people out on it) but after how many years and storms continue to either miss or fringe that area...hey, I'd be lying if I wasn't pissy too. I honestly feel for the central and northeastern guys. Let them have their say. 

Archived