• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

Ouch. Yeah, I'm at work, but home is around 9 this morning according to the mesonet station less than a mile from my house. To think this is just the tip of the iceberg for cold (no pun intended). 

Thankfully, we will just have to make it through this weekend before temperatures moderate back towards climo.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all love you dude. You guys north of I80 can rant like hell for all I care. You guys deserve to vent :hug:

Thanks man, I'm not even really ranting, I gave that up when I drove the forum crazy. I'm actually hoping so big totals get posted because our most enthusiastic winter weather posters are from southern PA. By the same token, if it weren't for my nephews wanting to play in snow or have an actual delay, I'd be all in for breaking least snow record.

Saw -2  and several -1's on the car thermo during my 24 mile commute to work (-2 was near my house...low lying area)

Anxious to see what the next 2 days bring for early next week, as it appears that a myriad of solutions are still on the table.  

Regarding the banter...its been a tough winter for most of us....so if some of us are "gloating" over our second snow event....know that all of us here are pulling for the entire area, and us flatlanders have watched true CPA cash in while we rained...(the upcoming storm has potential to be one of those).  Were all in this together and as stated by Pawx, it runs in cycles...

Still hoping for a stemwinder for the entire east coast.  Miller A from GA to ME.  In the theme of St. Valentine....a lotta love for everyone. :wub:

Nut

Saw -2  and several -1's on the car thermo during my 24 mile commute to work (-2 was near my house...low lying area)

Anxious to see what the next 2 days bring for early next week, as it appears that a myriad of solutions are still on the table.  

Regarding the banter...its been a tough winter for most of us....so if some of us are "gloating" over our second snow event....know that all of us here are pulling for the entire area, and us flatlanders have watched true CPA cash in while we rained...(the upcoming storm has potential to be one of those).  Were all in this together and as stated by Pawx, it runs in cycles...

Still hoping for a stemwinder for the entire east coast.  Miller A from GA to ME.  In the theme of St. Valentine....a lotta love for everyone. :wub:

Nut

I've been sick for 2 days so i didn't go outside to check the Therm. when i let the dogs out. My Tahoe said 9 though, which tends to be 2 degrees off.

I think it will be interesting over the next couple days to watch these models play out. If i was a betting man, i'd say those who have gotten good snows to date, just may get good snows from this. Isn't that how its played out in the past?  

I've been sick for 2 days so i didn't go outside to check the Therm. when i let the dogs out. My Tahoe said 9 though, which tends to be 2 degrees off.

I think it will be interesting over the next couple days to watch these models play out. If i was a betting man, i'd say those who have gotten good snows to date, just may get good snows from this. Isn't that how its played out in the past?  

My outdoor sensor peaked at 8F.  To me the set up for Tuesday as of right now screams ice storm for LSV.  This cold air is not going to retreat as easily as the models are showing, especially at the surface that will still have snow cover.  If 850 temps get in the 5-7 C range then sure heavy rainfall rates would pull some warmer air down to help warm lower levels but right now I just don't see a quick spike to the 40-50s.  This could very well play out for some with starting as snow, change to sleet/freezing rain, plain rain, then end as snow with everything freezing - a typical PA special where you see multiple seasons in one storm.

no matter what happens it's nice to at least continue to track something again through the weekend

My outdoor sensor peaked at 8F.  To me the set up for Tuesday as of right now screams ice storm for LSV.  This cold air is not going to retreat as easily as the models are showing, especially at the surface that will still have snow cover.  If 850 temps get in the 5-7 C range then sure heavy rainfall rates would pull some warmer air down to help warm lower levels but right now I just don't see a quick spike to the 40-50s.  This could very well play out for some with starting as snow, change to sleet/freezing rain, plain rain, then end as snow with everything freezing - a typical PA special where you see multiple seasons in one storm.

no matter what happens it's nice to at least continue to track something again through the weekend

x2  It think this one has the look of the "good ole days" where cpa (and especially NEPA) hold the cold w/ CAD and while we the 850's are torched, the 2m temps struggle to get outta the low 30s and we ice/rain while they stay snow.  I grew up watching this and used to snow chase w/ my brother to PineGrove and up 81 till we "found the snow".  Thank God this board wasn't around then, or I'da been the whiner extrordanaire.... I guess its just been our turn down here for the last few years.

Nut

x2  It think this one has the look of the "good ole days" where cpa (and especially NEPA) hold the cold w/ CAD and while we the 850's are torched, the 2m temps struggle to get outta the low 30s and we ice/rain while they stay snow.  I grew up watching this and used to snow chase w/ my brother to PineGrove and up 81 till we "found the snow".  Thank God this board wasn't around then, or I'da been the whiner extrordanaire.... I guess its just been our turn down here for the last few years.

Nut

just as long as it's not a repeat of the Valentines cluster of several years ago  :axe:

I'll  take the 12z Nam for $600, Alex. 

Just for fun, based on seeing these types of storms for years back in the 70s and 80s, here's what they often looked like:

LNS: 2" snow, then an hour of sleet, a couple of hours of freezing rain, then rain

MDT: 3.5" snow, then a couple of hours of sleet, couple of hours of freezing rain, then rain

UNV: 7" snow, hours of sleet eventually mixing with and changing to a bit of freezing rain then back to snow

IPT: 8" snow, hours of sleet and some freezing rain, ending as snow

I reserve the right to update this later.  :lmao:

These storms tend to mix quicker and further west than expected. Seen it happen many, many times. Often my area was supposed to get 4"-6" on the front end, and after 2" I flipped to sleet. 

Just for fun, based on seeing these types of storms for years back in the 70s and 80s, here's what they often looked like:

LNS: 2" snow, then an hour of sleet, a couple of hours of freezing rain, then rain

MDT: 3.5" snow, then a couple of hours of sleet, couple of hours of freezing rain, then rain

UNV: 7" snow, hours of sleet eventually mixing with and changing to a bit of freezing rain then back to snow

What about the Adirondacks?

Lol! That would suck. I hope we get a couple inches down here, I want to break 40 inches.

No, I'd think you'll do fine up there. Snow and then ice?

I think we have one more good one coming after this...who knows. Just got this feeling in my bones we'll be tracking something special at the end of the month or early March. 

12z GFS between 96-108 tracks from central NC to approx 50 east of the DE bay and heads for western long island.  From my view the entire state is west of the low.  Verbatim a real close on for us here in the LSV, but everyone from 2001kxville to....Yes....you heard it NEPA gets a crush job smack down bonafide snowstorm.

Happy Friday

(subject to revlsion after the doc's afternoon report)

Nut

These storms tend to mix quicker and further west than expected. Seen it happen many, many times. Often my area was supposed to get 4"-6" on the front end, and after 2" I flipped to sleet. 

the 70's? Man you're old  :lmao: .... You may have nailed it, no adjustments needed. 

No, I'd think you'll do fine up there. Snow and then ice?

I think we have one more good one coming after this...who knows. Just got this feeling in my bones we'll be tracking something special at the end of the month or early March. 

No science behind it, just a gut instinct on my part, but i agree with you and told my wife this on Tuesday evening. 

the 70's? Man you're old  :lmao: .... You may have nailed it, no adjustments needed. 

No science behind it, just a gut instinct on my part, but i agree with you and told my wife this on Tuesday evening. 

x2  Maytown typed what some of us "oldies" grew up watching.  That song and dance played over....and over....and over.

only addition is NEPA usually did better than IPT in these situations. they were ALL SNOW....just sayin.

Nut

Dude....dont you know....in every forum its been touted fr..EVR that in Feb, the sun angle kills us :)

I'm such a weenie..

The funny thing is...there is melting going on today. And it's only in the low 20s. If we had this exact same weather back the 1st week of January the only melting would be on treated roads. 

The sun angle is real...BUT, it gets overplayed too much as well. 

Archived