joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS continues to show a hellacious ice storm for SC PA down toward western Adams and Franklin counties. Low pressure follows straight up I95 and keeps cold air locked in at the surface through the entire storm until the very end. 

attachicon.gifzr prbs.PNG

That's showing .5 to .75 inch of ice for my location as well. Scary stuff if it were to verify.

Outside of that, I woke up this morning to almost moderate snow falling and closing in on a half inch of accumulation (which does includes the pixie dusting from last night).

That's showing .5 to .75 inch of ice for my location as well. Scary stuff if it were to verify.

Outside of that, I woke up this morning to almost moderate snow falling and closing in on a half inch of accumulation (which does includes the pixie dusting from last night).

I've had streamers all night at work and more working their way down into Germantown. My house probably has a good 0.1-0.25" from the echoes earlier. There was some really good ones a few hours ago with the arctic boundary. 

GFS continues to show a hellacious ice storm for SC PA down toward western Adams and Franklin counties. Low pressure follows straight up I95 and keeps cold air locked in at the surface through the entire storm until the very end. 

attachicon.gifzr prbs.PNG

Why is this depicting freezing rain when temps are above freezing??

gfs_T2m_us_15.png

Thanks, I just noticed I posted the 00z GFS...

That's what happens when I stay up too late. LOL  :axe:

Don't sweat it!! I'm on my 4th overnight and last 2 have been extended shifts. It's crazy how the body adjusts overtime haha. Only one more to go then I'm off and will enjoy the storm. I may take a drive out to western MD and then head into the WV high country during the storm  :)

Just looking through the morning model suites it breaks down roughly like this as far as snow goes for my backyard...

GFS: 3-5 inches (tight gradient right over Schuylkill County)

NAM: 3-5 inches (less gradient, more widespread)

GEM: 10-12 inches (with a traditional increasing total toward the northeast)

ECMWF: I don't have access to those maps...

Just looking through the morning model suites it breaks down roughly like this as far as snow goes for my backyard...

GFS: 3-5 inches (tight gradient right over Schuylkill County)

NAM: 3-5 inches (less gradient, more widespread)

GEM: 10-12 inches (with a traditional increasing total toward the northeast)

ECMWF: I don't have access to those maps...

euro still apps runner, same with ens fwiw

Euro came in quicker and less amped, but kept the same track up along the Apps. The ensembles are west of the Apps, but a big reason for the placement is due to 4 really wound up members that take the system into Ohio which isn't happening. I think the envelope for low center is somewhere around the Blue Ridge to I95. The weaker the system, the further east it will progress and the more amped system will come west due to the interaction of the 2nd shortwave. Still would be a little concerned about ice along the 81 corridor. 

Looking at the GFS, would the rate of the precip actually prevent it from being zr? I know the harder the rain the less likely it can freeze.

A steady heavy rain would be harder to accrete so yes, heavy rain in this setup would help negate that. Light to moderate rain on the other hand is perfect for ice accretion, so the weaker the rates, the worse the ice build up. 

Looking at the GFS, would the rate of the precip actually prevent it from being zr? I know the harder the rain the less likely it can freeze.

There is latent heating during freezing so surface temperatures will warm during accretion. The net warming is proportional to the precipitation rate at the surface so the heavier it rains, the greater the warming. However, the surface temperature could stay below freezing even with the latent heating if it is well below freezing before the precipitation begins.

If you look at the GFS ensemble, most members have some sort of frontal wave tracking near or over our region. The fact that few of the members have a super amped-up solution means that it will likely be difficult for this system to produce a ton of precipitation on the cold (snow) side of the front. The lack of decent mid-level confluence to our NE (that would promote the low-level ageostrophic flow of cold air) also doesn't help.

It looks more likely that significant snowfall will be confined to a relatively narrow (with respect to longitude) portion of our region, if it affects our region at all. Therefore, getting snow vs. rain vs. freezing rain will be especially sensitive to the eventual track of this system.

Archived