Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

All week this has been advertised by most models & mets as

a storm that would start as snow & them flip to ice & possibly rain.

Unfortunately, There is no blocking to hold in the Artic cold.

The I-81 crowd from LSV to NEPA should get at least a few inches of snow, then a long period of freezing rain, the maybe end as rain.

It is frustrating that this wont be all snow especially because of the current extreme cold. Most of the winter storms over the years involve a rain/ snow line somewhere near the LSV. If we didn't have the historic blizzard 3 weeks ago, I'd be upset now as well with this storm.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The I-81 crowd from LSV to NEPA should get at least a few inches of snow, then a long period of freezing rain, the maybe end as rain.

It is frustrating that this wont be all snow especially because of the current extreme cold. Most of the winter storms over the years involve a rain/ snow line somewhere near the LSV. If we didn't have the historic blizzard 3 weeks ago, I'd be upset now as well with this storm.

Sorry Deluge of rain is more appropriate now. The Euro locked in as our blizzard locked in with the NAM and done. Hope I am wrong.

Modelscare aligning to maybe 2" snow then a ton of rain.

I don't care what the models say regarding a deluge of pure rain.  From Cumberland county, west of MDT, southward along the 81 corridor through Franklin county towards HGR and further south, the cold will hold on the longest and will provide the greatest opportunity for a prolonged ice storm.  I am willing to bet that the amount of liquid derived from frozen and freezing precip will exceed any amount of pure rainfall for the areas I just outlined.  Our valley, between Blue Mountain and South Mountain always traps the cold air the longest with events such as this upcoming one.  Furthermore, the last two runs of the Euro have given up on an apps runner bomb and have weakened substantially the lowest pressures and have the storm center further east towards I-95.

Maybe I'll eat my words after the fact, but please do not give all the credit to the Euro for calling this storm correctly.  The storm as it depicted just 24 hours ago is not, in fact, going to play out as it had shown.  The Nam may not have many redeeming qualities, but it is almost always superior in its depiction of CAD, and tonight's runs of both 12k and 4k show even stronger CAD than prior runs.  Food for thought.

I don't care what the models say regarding a deluge of pure rain. From Cumberland county, west of MDT, southward along the 81 corridor through Franklin county towards HGR and further south, the cold will hold on the longest and will provide the greatest opportunity for a prolonged ice storm. I am willing to bet that the amount of liquid derived from frozen and freezing precip will exceed any amount of pure rainfall for the areas I just outlined. Our valley, between Blue Mountain and South Mountain always traps the cold air the longest with events such as this upcoming one. Furthermore, the last two runs of the Euro have given up on an apps runner bomb and have weakened substantially the lowest pressures and have the storm center further east towards I-95.

Maybe I'll eat my words after the fact, but please do not give all the credit to the Euro for calling this storm correctly. The storm as it depicted just 24 hours ago is not, in fact, going to play out as it had shown. The Nam may not have many redeeming qualities, but it is almost always superior in its depiction of CAD, and tonight's runs of both 12k and 4k show even stronger CAD than prior runs. Food for thought.

Fantastic post. I could not agree more.

CAD in the Susquehanna Valley usually holds strong

unless there is a massive cutter & no good cold air mass in front.

We have a frigid Artic airmass, current snow cover,

& a pretty weak low passing to our east.

I don't care what the models say regarding a deluge of pure rain.  From Cumberland county, west of MDT, southward along the 81 corridor through Franklin county towards HGR and further south, the cold will hold on the longest and will provide the greatest opportunity for a prolonged ice storm.  I am willing to bet that the amount of liquid derived from frozen and freezing precip will exceed any amount of pure rainfall for the areas I just outlined.  Our valley, between Blue Mountain and South Mountain always traps the cold air the longest with events such as this upcoming one.  Furthermore, the last two runs of the Euro have given up on an apps runner bomb and have weakened substantially the lowest pressures and have the storm center further east towards I-95.

Maybe I'll eat my words after the fact, but please do not give all the credit to the Euro for calling this storm correctly.  The storm as it depicted just 24 hours ago is not, in fact, going to play out as it had shown.  The Nam may not have many redeeming qualities, but it is almost always superior in its depiction of CAD, and tonight's runs of both 12k and 4k show even stronger CAD than prior runs.  Food for thought.

yes i couldn't agree more The cold air is harder to move out of the deeper valley in the Susquehanna Valley. and it has been below freezing for days now, so it will take awhile imo till the cold air retreats out of the valleys.

The NAM winds up a pretty potent low over Eastern PA. With such a deepening low, it actually tries to make the wintry part of the event more on the back end of the storm for the central and maybe even the Sus Valley. Hour 63 had significant deform precip (prob snow at this point) in the north central and moderate curling back into the Sus Valley. 

Def an interesting take, though not necessarily something that hasn't already been hinted at times in previous models runs (esp the Euro). Like I said the other day, this setup is going to present a limited and narrow zone of heavier snow and ice. With the high pushed east and essentially out of the picture, it's a poor setup for sustained cold air damming (although the central ridge and valley region will put up a bit more of a fight as usual) and it's going to come down to the track of the storm. It appears the Euro has won the battle with that, as guidance has decidedly moved to a more inside solution lifting the low up through eastern PA. Heck the 6z GFS was almost a GLC and it rained on all of PA at one point. But if we get the deep low per the NAM solution, it does present the opportunity for some to change back over. It is pretty amazing that a large portion of the Northeast as a whole is going to get rained on hardly a couple days after one of the most significant arctic blasts in recent history for upstate and New England. 

This has never been a legit "off the coast for all snow" type event. The coastal scraper or inland runner (I-95 in general) has been the most likely outcome.

The 12z NAM just came very close to pulling off the coastal scraper, but did the inland runner. Verbatim, a frozen sandwich  scenario. The soundings at Hr60 of the NAM show it snowing hard in a stripe from about Mansfield to York including St College and Hbg - problem is its doing it after rain (but there was about 2" SN and ZR before the rain) and the temps are crashing but still near 37f - then full snow for the SRV main axis thereafter.

The upper level maps are very very close to making this a huge storm while not pulling it west, but shoving it more east. I don't have time to post those ATTM but will try later.

We've known of this threat for weeks now - Whether you agree, or not, is cool with me but I'll always call this one  PDIII - when all is said and done.

All peace -  

-

The 12z NAM was an interesting run as MAG just detailed.

It's certainly not storm cancel.

The front end is still 2-3 inches snow for the LSV followed by

freezing rain then rain then possible switch back to snow.

Also , the front end was better to our South on this run, showing the

DC area getting 5 inches of snow. How many times have we seen

The front end precip travel further north than modeled ?

I wouldn't be shocked to see the front end trend better for the LSV.

Archived