Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll  take the 12z Nam for $600, Alex. 

Just for fun, based on seeing these types of storms for years back in the 70s and 80s, here's what they often looked like:

LNS: 2" snow, then an hour of sleet, a couple of hours of freezing rain, then rain

MDT: 3.5" snow, then a couple of hours of sleet, couple of hours of freezing rain, then rain

UNV: 7" snow, hours of sleet eventually mixing with and changing to a bit of freezing rain then back to snow

IPT: 8" snow, hours of sleet and some freezing rain, ending as snow

I reserve the right to update this later.  :lmao:

These storms tend to mix quicker and further west than expected. Seen it happen many, many times. Often my area was supposed to get 4"-6" on the front end, and after 2" I flipped to sleet. 

Sticking with this generalized idea for now. Perhaps remove the sleet part. 

I don't think ice will be much of an issue at all south/east of Harrisburg. You folks from the Blue Mountain ridge north and west...good luck with your ice storm. 

66-69 has warmed most of the eastern half of the forum above freezing both 850 and the surface. Probably continued light-mod snows in true central while the east is ice to rain.

I see that. It stays zr for the LSV, but warms the Poconos up quickly (elevation is the key, perhaps) so that it's all rain from me to you and points east.

It may be more snow than sleet this time around, but it "kind of" reminds of Valentine's Day 2007. We had frozen for hours, (snow then sleet) and had about 5 inches on the ground when we suddenly warmed to the low 40's for two hours and rained before flipping back to snow and getting about 4-5 more inches.

GFS has quietly been advertising another wave right on the heels of the main system.. the 12z had a light to moderate snowfall come across PA at 90 & 96hr. The Canadian is showing it a bit too and the NAM at 84hr has a decent area of precip ready to roll into PA from OH. 

Archived