joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chalk this one up in the loss column here today. I'd call it maybe 0.2" that accumulated this morning that melted this afternoon... so still looking at bare ground and scattered snow piles. There also seemed to be some local downsloping issues with the synoptic precip associated with the inverted trough . It's just starting to get into that time of the winter where the sun can become a secondary factor in certain situations, today being one of them with marginal surface temps. Although truth be told I probably wouldn't even be at an inch today if it had been nice and cold and/or the beginning of January. But basically one of those situations of if you have the good snow rates, it will pile up on cold surfaces and if you don't.. it's not going to pile up at all. I continue to be amazed at the southern tiers ability to cash in on events. 

Still some pretty decent looking patches of snow lurking around the central counties. Hope to at least salvage something later this afternoon and eve as that tries to push further into the central counties and NW flow and upslope start to do their thing as well. Low and Mid level lapses are quite significant this afternoon (>7ºC/km over most of the state at the mid 700-500 level). Could still be some surprises.   

Just measured 2.4" here.  Temp peaked earlier at 33.4 and it's been above freezing, albeit barely, since around 10:00am.  Back down to 32.2 degrees now.  Although I've had some good bursts of heavier snow, it has been melting while it's been accumulating.  Probably have had well over 3", but not officially.  Looks like in about another hour or so temp will drop below 32.0 and it should start accumulating again.  Sounds like there's still a few good hours of accumulating yet to come this evening.

Awesome bud, enjoy it!!! You guys are having a solid year.

funny thing is that its all been in 2 snowfalls.....and nare a flake in between....ughh.

tough year for sure.  I'm a big fan of mood flakes....I dont need feet on the ground, just a few inches (enough to sled) and lots and lots of mood flakes....

Maybe I am a flake...

Nut

This might venture weirdest snowstorm I've ever been in.

5-6", heavy snow a lot of the day, yet streets are fine minus some slush on back alleys. Really weird stuff.

Have a feeling tomorrow's morning commute will SUCK though as this all freezes.

Tonight's commute might start sucking around there if the steady snow continues as we lose whatever solar heating we had to work with today to help keep roads in good shape and the marginal temps dip just enough to start allowing snow to accumulate on the roads. 

I see djr posted, i have 5" as well, still snowing. Unlike him we had to shovel as driveway doesn't get much sun.

Currently hanging outside and on my 4th Sam Adams cold snap :)

cold snap....excellent choice.

18z GFS says hang in there NEPA....you'll be drinking a cold snap after shoveling tomorrow morning...might only be a couple inches...but it'll feel like winter.  I'm trying for ya man.....

Nut

When I left the house this morning, I eyeballed about a half to perhaps three quarter inch on unpaved surfaces. At 2:00am, I just didn't feel like measuring. I don't know if there was a lot of melting going on or the snow was that light (or a total lull), but there was only one inch when I did a grass measurement when I got home about 4:30pm. (there was no snow on anything else...lol)

We're finally getting some decent snow and it's accumulating on all surfaces. Don't know how long it'll last though.

Archived