Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MDT recorded a little over 5 inches through the 5pm climate summary update. It puts the seasonal total to date just over 36 inches, which means we are now officially over our annual average snow amount as of Feb 9th....Which happened during 2 storms !

Fixed.....

just cray cray....

I know we are just wrapping up today's event, but I can't believe there is no discussion on here about the storm for early next week. The 12z Euro & it's Ensemble crushes PA from I-81 on west. It looked like the I-99 corridor was in the jackpot zone on the Euro. This storm appears to be 1 for the interior.

Yeah, how many times have we been down this road before? Wake me up if it's still an interior JP 24 hours out.

More importantly the Arctic front coming in Friday means business. Northern tier folks might not see positive numbers Saturday, then add in 20-30 mph winds. Coldest air possibly in some time.

Harrisburg might not reach double digits. I have to attend a gravesite burial in Pottsville Saturday at 11 a.m., I might die myself.

Barring any last-minute surprises it looks like my total will be 2.8" for the event.  I will do the melt down in the morning.  I'm quite sure my ratios will be a fair amount under 10:1 since I had melting while accumulating pretty much from between 10:00am and 5:00pm.  Congrats to those east of me who did much better.  Double my amount just 20 miles east in Harrisburg.  It was great that it didn't screw up the roads. 

However, some of you might have heard on the local news that a school bus apparently ran a stop sign in Mechanicsburg earlier in the day, hitting a 4-passenger vehicle and killing one of those 4.  I was forced off of Trindle on my way home from work due to the detour they set up to investigate the crash.  Horrible news.  Don't think it was the road conditions, though.  Maybe visibility at the time?  Haven't heard any further updates in a while.

So I have a question, and I'm interested in everyone's thoughts. People on these boards routinely discuss whether they'd rather have multiple, smaller storms in a winter or one really huge one. But I have a different twist:

Would you rather have a foot of powder that melts in 3 days, or 6" of snow that flips to sleet/freezing rain that helps keep the snow pack on the ground for a few weeks? 2 winters ago we had a large snow on 2/11 and then a few days later we had a prolific ice storm. End result was snow cover that lasted into early March.

My thought - during a storm there's no way I'm rooting for a flip...but 3 days later when it's gone I find myself wishing it would have had ice on top to keep it around. 

Anyone else think about this scenario?

So I have a question, and I'm interested in everyone's thoughts. People on these boards routinely discuss whether they'd rather have multiple, smaller storms in a winter or one really huge one. But I have a different twist:

Would you rather have a foot of powder that melts in 3 days, or 6" of snow that flips to sleet/freezing rain that helps keep the snow pack on the ground for a few weeks? 2 winters ago we had a large snow on 2/11 and then a few days later we had a prolific ice storm. End result was snow cover that lasted into early March.

My thought - during a storm there's no way I'm rooting for a flip...but 3 days later when it's gone I find myself wishing it would have had ice on top to keep it around. 

12" that melts in 3 days is my choice.

Big snow that melts.

I love snow, but it turns to ice and is too dangerous to go walking if it stays and freezes. I vote for big storm to melt but have the river frozen over continuously.

Archived