• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Photos thread for Jan 22-24 Blizzard

eurojosh

I didn't take these but wanted to share. These were taken at the berkeley medical center in Martinsburg WV. That's some serious drifting!

HaHa. Yeah. And they supposedly only got 30 inches. They are 15 miles due north of me and had the deform band for 2-3 more hours than I did. Somebody measured poorly.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HaHa. Yeah. And they supposedly only got 30 inches. They are 15 miles due north of me and had the deform band for 2-3 more hours than I did. Somebody measured poorly.

40.5 was reported at Shepherdstown 9 miles to the east. They should have done even better than that in Martinsburg. That band they had was unreal. I kept watching it hoping it would come my way and it just wouldn't budge for hours and hours.

I saw that redhouse, md had almost 40". I imagine the drifts there are crazy along 219. Lots of big open farms in that stretch. Kinda surprised Davis only reported 24". Whitegrass came in at 28. Still only at 50" for the season, so they've got a long way to go to reach their 150sh average.

Finally sifted through my photos...here are a few:

One of the heavy bands, late Friday night, looking outside my door:

post-1508-0-58414800-1453735251_thumb.jp

Saturday afternoon, during heavy deformation bands, looking north up Connecticut Avenue toward the Beltway:

post-1508-0-36234100-1453735331_thumb.jp

Sunday afternoon, huge piles of snow after the parking lot area was plowed:

post-1508-0-80342600-1453735408_thumb.jp

Nice shots. You must be up around 1000 ft or so on Parrs Ridge there.

About 1100 depending where on the property, we're right along one of the highest points on Dug Hill Ridge, one of the 3 ridges that Parrs Ridge kind of splits off into in the northeastern part of Carroll County.  Its beautiful, the only down side is the wind...OMG it gets windy up here with every frontal passage and in snowstorms, if its a dry snow and windy like this last one a ton of the snow will blow into the woods downwind.  Its about 6 feet deep in there right now where a lot of my yard only has 16-20" or so.  I measure on the side yard where a row of tall thick pines shelters the wind and you can get a somewhat accurate measure of the snow.  Everywhere else its a combo of low spots and huge drifts.  I like when we get nice wet snows without much wind and it just piles up in a uniform way. 

ETA:  that late october storm a few years ago was one of my favorites for that reason, not much wind, steady heavy wet snow at 31 degrees for hours and hours, and about 10" when it was over all over everything evenly. 

About 1100 depending where on the property, we're right along one of the highest points on Dug Hill Ridge, one of the 3 ridges that Parrs Ridge kind of splits off into in the northeastern part of Carroll County.  Its beautiful, the only down side is the wind...OMG it gets windy up here with every frontal passage and in snowstorms, if its a dry snow and windy like this last one a ton of the snow will blow into the woods downwind.  Its about 6 feet deep in there right now where a lot of my yard only has 16-20" or so.  I measure on the side yard where a row of tall thick pines shelters the wind and you can get a somewhat accurate measure of the snow.  Everywhere else its a combo of low spots and huge drifts.  I like when we get nice wet snows without much wind and it just piles up in a uniform way. 

ETA:  that late october storm a few years ago was one of my favorites for that reason, not much wind, steady heavy wet snow at 31 degrees for hours and hours, and about 10" when it was over all over everything evenly. 

I had to go with 28 for the storm. I just couldn't get an accurate measurement. I know we got over 30 but someone called WBAL from here and said 28. The nws spotter 2 miles ssw of us said 24.8 as the final measurement. He reported that at 11:30 p.m. on 1/23 but that makes no sense because he reported that same amount on 5:52 earlier in the day and we had several hours of snow after that . I would say we picked up at least 1.5 inches from 6 p.m. until the storm ended shortly after 9 p.m.

There was another nws spotter located exactly 1 nne of us. This person is always very conservative it seems and my measurements are alway more than his/hers. They report 17 inches at 9 a.m. but that was the last report they sent. Being that they are very conservative and still had 17 inch at 9 a.m. supports our total being at least 30 because there is no question we had 13 inches from 9 a.m. until the end of the storm.

I had to go with 28 for the storm. I just couldn't get an accurate measurement. I know we got over 30 but someone called WBAL from here and said 28. The nws spotter 2 miles ssw of us said 24.8 as the final measurement. He reported that at 11:30 p.m. on 1/23 but that makes no sense because he reported that same amount on 5:52 earlier in the day and we had several hours of snow after that . I would say we picked up at least 1.5 inches from 6 p.m. until the storm ended shortly after 9 p.m.

There was another nws spotter located exactly 1 nne of us. This person is always very conservative it seems and my measurements are alway more than his/hers. They report 17 inches at 9 a.m. but that was the last report they sent. Being that they are very conservative and still had 17 inch at 9 a.m. supports our total being at least 30 because there is no question we had 13 inches from 9 a.m. until the end of the storm.

. It was a crapton of snow. There is no way I could get an accurate total. But I saw that 24.8 and laughed it off. I estimate we were in the 30s because I made the mistake of waiting a bit too long to get out with the snowblower. By the time I did around 9-10 it was too deep for my 24" clearance in more then half the spots. That was about 9-10 am so I would estimate we were around 22-24" then. After that we were in that deform band with steady heave snow until about 4. when I measured at 4 the places already cleared it was another 7" on average. then we had lighter snows from 4-9 and in the morning there was another 3" on the cleared part of my drive. I'm fairly confident in those 3 estimates. That puts us into the low 30s at a minimum. And if you go to my side yard where the row of pines shelters the wind a bit there was a 35" snow depth. Then in the woods it was about 5-6 feet deep. But at the same time I could see how the low reports got there. If you just went into my backyard and stuck a yardstick down it's pribably an average depth of 25" so that would match the spotter report. Problem is that's innaccurate because the depth in my yard actually went down throughout the day even as it was pouring snow due to compaction and the wind blowing it into the woods or drifts. This was a hard one to measure.

My neighbors fence and yardstick as a reference point at the start of the storm.

LK4C2hQ.jpg

Same fence at the end of the storm.  You can see the differences in depth due to drifting.  Very hard to measure precisely.

fic8M8A.jpg

My patio and table at the start of the storm.

P9lvUqn.jpg

....and post storm.

ylWzkkA.jpg

My neighbor carries his daughter across my side yard, as my daughter (purple coat) attempts to eat snow off the fence while she thought I wasn't looking.  My neighbor is 6'2".

SXkxf1o.jpg

View from my front windows.  This was taken early in the morning.  About 10" fell after this.

7CXsGaM.jpg

View from the curb as the storm ended.

kB3yH1N.jpg

Archived