• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    freestyle
    Newest Member
    freestyle
mackerel_sky

Blizzard of 2016 - Official Obs Thread

Interesting.  The Clemson webcams have shown snow for about an hour, and it's starting to stick to the ground and roads there. 

Hm, it must look like snow on the cams, but it's sleet. The ground has turned white, however. I am hopeful for a flip over to snow later this afternoon.

Sleet still in North Raleigh. We had some snow mixed in with it about an hour ago for a while but now it's just sleet again. As long as it's not freezing rain I am fine.

Hm, it must look like snow on the cams, but it's sleet. The ground has turned white, however. I am hopeful for a flip over to snow later this afternoon.

same here - dropped to 29 now and mostly sleet instead of zr.  radar looks empty but there is light sleet falling at the moment.  looks like about .2 glaze or so and the sleet is already making it white lol

Moderate sleet.  25   I'm actually hoping it stays sleet as long as possible today since snow has been taken out of my NWS forecast and a changeover to freezing rain put in.  

I'm in Knightdale and just walked the neighborhood. The ice is slushy in areas and water running down the street drains. Doesn't it only do that above freezing? Seems like it wouldn't turn to water otherwise.?

I'm in Knightdale and just walked the neighborhood. The ice is slushy in areas and water running down the street drains. Doesn't it only do that above freezing? Seems like it wouldn't turn to water otherwise.?

Ground temps are different than air temps.

My Obs: In my neck of the woods i'm mostly sleet with some thin snowflakes flitting about.

Some flurries mixing in, but the freezing drizzle has turned to a proper freezing rain

Edit: this is around Rex Hospital in Raleigh. Not Swift Creek.

Ground temps are different than air temps.

My Obs: In my neck of the woods i'm mostly sleet with some thin snowflakes flitting about.

okay makes sense. So this is a good thing possibly? Will the ice be less b/c it is warmer? 

edited to add: I mean accumulation