joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #3 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to be a debbie here, but its 1" less QPF then 18z for DC.

It's not unexpected that the models will waffle on placement of heaviest amounts. We don't know exactly where the heaviest band will set up.We know the general idea....front end thump, deform and that will dump in area TBD.

I think there is a glitch this run.  If you look at tropical tidbits, and you look at the precip type, it is weird how the darker shades of blue never really advance north of Fredericksburg.  Also, there is another frame where the heavy snow makes a C shape around immediate metro which I find odd.

People are thinking too hard. The 500mb passage is still awesome. QPF is kinda BS on models anyway.

For sure. It was mentioned earlier today that QPF is the worst part of the model output in terms of accuracy. The jackpot zones will bounce around a bit. They'll probably be where they usually setup and that shouldn't really surprise any of us. H5 looks great. It's a big time storm...won't be a HECS in every backyard or mind. Could just as easily be massive again at 6z...

Because the new GFS is slightly left of the 12 and 18Z MSLP tracks (and slower), it brings the 850mb 0C line into southern MD between 12-18Z Sat.  This is probably why we see such a sharper gradient east-southeast of I-95 compared to the last few runs.

It's a pretty long thread so it's possible someone else already mentioned this, but the 0Z NAM soundings at hour 60 look really good for Washington D.C. There is strong lift through the DGZ (classic bufkit cross-hair signature) with about 100 j/kg of elevated CAPE to keep things interesting. I'm not willing to call it an ideal thundersnow sounding, but it's getting close. Something to watch for...

Archived