Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #3 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NUMBERS 

27 inches in Richmond actually at the Airport 31 inches  Stafford / Fredericksburg 
28 inches Baltimore ....  28 inches Winchester     30 inches in Charlottesville 34 inches in Harrisonburg 31 inches in Roanoke ...30 inches Lynchburg    25 inches  Danville ...12 inches Emporia  24 inches in Eastern west Virginia near Elkton 

It's a higher than 10:1 ratio. Which I don't disagree with. Climo average is 11-12:1 and with this storm I don't see why it wouldn't be. Killer run overall regardless of ratios.

Bob was checking the 850's for the run and some temps between 700 and 850 in the growth zone... Looks pretty good for some dendrites for at least a while in the backside CCB. Definitely conducive for some 14-16:1 ratios for a time with the column supportive. That plus mesoscale banding and lots of VV forcing, there will be some rates being maximized... Even in some of the lesser echoes. I'd say dendrites in the heavier stuff for some. A little increase to near -1 or 0 850's between 12z and 18z SAT around BWI, but that is surrounded by good profiles before and after.

The 40N forums arent going to be happy

Oddly while everything else trended north a bit tonight euro sunk south about 30 miles with the sharp northern edge. Won't matter at all to you but it gets it kinda close for comfort for the pa line people. We know how this usually goes though plus the euro has been bouncing around more then the gfs and ggem. It's definitely not been a rock of consistency on this one.

I posted this in pa forum but since it could affect the northern tier people perhaps one of the Mets in here could chime in.

Ok so the mets can jump in with thoughts on this but the run looked great through 60 hours. The slp actually was tucked in nice tracking over eastern nc right over Elizabeth city. Then at 66 it's tucked in right at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay. So far perfect track to at least get the southern 1/2 of pa. Then at 66 a second low forms due east about 100 miles under a convection plume and that pulls the whole thing due east. The euro actually tracks inside the gfs and ggem to that point then slingshots east. What are the chances that's a convective feedback error?

I posted this in pa forum but since it could affect the northern tier people perhaps one of the Mets in here could chime in.

Ok so the mets can jump in with thoughts on this but the run looked great through 60 hours. The slp actually was tucked in nice tracking over eastern nc right over Elizabeth city. Then at 66 it's tucked in right at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay. So far perfect track to at least get the southern 1/2 of pa. Then at 66 a second low forms due east about 100 miles under a convection plume and that pulls the whole thing due east. The euro actually tracks inside the gfs and ggem to that point then slingshots east. What are the chances that's a convective feedback error?

i thought it was a bit goofy of a progression...

i thought it was a bit goofy of a progression...

Yea. And it's no threat to you and even I'm fine but it really screwed things up for places like york and harrisburg. That weird secondary low sling shot thing halts the northern progress of the system about 50 miles sooner then the other 0z guidance. I kinda suspect it's an error.

Yea. And it's no threat to you and even I'm fine but it really screwed things up for places like york and harrisburg. That weird secondary low sling shot thing halts the northern progress of the system about 50 miles sooner then the other 0z guidance. I kinda suspect it's an error.

Sometimes these big storms reform multiple times as they progress. Not saying it's right just saying that it is possible and i don't think it will be easy to predict.

Here is a great read on the 1996 storm, the synoptic section goes into it really well https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/assessments/pdfs/bz-mrg.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj26aPDqrrKAhXEVD4KHTinDc4QFgglMAQ&usg=AFQjCNHGSlbVKNYl54g7ruKzar7b7esHwQ&sig2=E_vXvXRnGeA5O0kmcXc_rQ

Definitely suspect. I think we're fine though. Good snows meaning at least a foot or so should still make up to Harrisburg.

For the record...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

103 AM EST THU JAN 21 2016

DCZ001-MDZ004>006-011-503>508-VAZ052>057-505-506-211415-

/O.CON.KLWX.BZ.A.0001.160122T1700Z-160124T1100Z/

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-

SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-NORTHWEST MONTGOMERY-

CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST MONTGOMERY-NORTHWEST HOWARD-

CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST HOWARD-NORTHWEST HARFORD-SOUTHEAST HARFORD-

PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-

ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-

KING GEORGE-WESTERN LOUDOUN-EASTERN LOUDOUN-

...BLIZZARD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

LATE SATURDAY NIGHT...

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND WIND WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING

SNOW FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. SLEET MAY MIX

WITH THE SNOW FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING EAST OF

INTERSTATE 95...BEFORE CHANGING BACK TO ALL SNOW BY SATURDAY

AFTERNOON.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 18 TO 24 INCHES.

* TIMING...HEAVY SNOW FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO DETERIORATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON WITH

THE HEAVIEST SNOW... STRONGEST WINDS...AND POTENTIAL LIFE

THREATENING CONDITIONS EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CAUSE DANGEROUS

CONDITIONS AND WILL BE A THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY. TRAVEL IS

EXPECTED TO BE SEVERELY LIMITED IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE DURING THE

HEIGHT OF THE STORM FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY. VISIBILITY WILL

BE REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

FOR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY...A BLIZZARD WATCH MEANS SEVERE WINTER

WEATHER IS POSSIBLE. USE THIS ADVANCE NOTICE TO PLAN AHEAD! ADJUST

TRAVEL PLANS...AND PLANNED ACTIVITIES. STOCK UP ON NECESSITIES.

MAKE PLANS FOR ELDERLY FAMILY AND THOSE MOST AT RISK. PREPARE FOR

THE POSSIBILITY OF POWER OUTAGES DURING SNOWY AND COLD CONDITIONS.

USE THIS TIME TO MINIMIZE IMPACT ON YOU... YOUR FAMILY...AND YOUR

COMMUNITY.

(snip)

MDZ013-014-016>018-211415-

/O.CAN.KLWX.WW.Y.0002.000000T0000Z-160121T0700Z/

/O.CON.KLWX.BZ.A.0001.160122T1700Z-160124T1100Z/

PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-

...BLIZZARD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

LATE SATURDAY NIGHT...

(snip)

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 18 TO 24 INCHES.

(snip)

Archived