• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #3 - No Banter

stormtracker

FWIW, 06z GEFS mean absolutely crushes the region... highest snowfall is in N VA and DC... I know that we should be using/looking at the OP, but just thought I would take a peek at the ensemble mean to see where we were

Thanks Yoda! If there is a storm that D.C. jackpots, this is it! ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

please back up your thoughts with why you think this to be the case? otherwise, take it to banter.

Apologies: I was thinking about what I've beem hearing about that flow that will be coming off the bay and causing the mixing (how much, of course, remains to be seen). Wanted to know what could possibly overcome this effect as well.

With that in mind, I think 18-24 is tol high of a forecast for Baltimore and other I-95 areas, unfortunately...

I guess you weren't around in 96. 6 hours of sleet and I still managed like 24" or more. Sleet is natural in the metro in big storms. I hear the blizzard of 1899 had a period of driving steet.

I guess you weren't around in 96. 6 hours of sleet and I still managed like 24" or more. Sleet is natural in the metro in big storms. I hear the blizzard of 1899 had a period of driving steet.

(vague memories of that one-Was only 5!) That was my second question: other big storms that had mixing. So 96' had sleet...What about 2010? (I remember the second of the twin blizzards had FRZ rain for a period) I guess part of it is kinda unpredictable

Apologies: I was thinking about what I've beem hearing about that flow that will be coming off the bay and causing the mixing (how much, of course, remains to be seen). Wanted to know what could possibly overcome this effect as well.

It's not the bay (way too small and narrow to have much impact). It's the ocean. But hp to the north is pretty strong. Midlevel winds are 5k feet up. We'll just have to see if the cyclonic flow from the storm can overcome a pretty good antecedent airmass. I personally doubt significant mixing problems until you go down to southern md.

Imo- if there is mixing it will be relatively brief.

In Richmond area I've never seen a major storm that didn't have some period of mixing. That has to be baked in the cake here, and why any huge snowfall prediction for the city should always be taken with grains of salt. Maritime layer will always work in and produce sleet in stronger storms

The whole storm looks a bit squashed vs the 06z NAM, which is probably good for DC, not as good for some of the PA/NJ places that scored overnight.  But, we'll see.

To my eye, this is a better orientation of the precip field for us - at least in terms of giving us that good front-end thump.

Archived