joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #3 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's got that classic 2/83, 1/96, 12/09 (and we can throw in the Knickerbocker Storm) shape. The beasts for our region have all had that "Virginia bulge" where a large chunk of the state is buried, and then the 12"+ amounts decrease in area as you head northeast. 

Yep. Pretty much everything about it is classic in some sense. I'm probably most worried about a dry slot. But it came awful close on Feb 5-6 so I'm not super worried. I don't really envision a scenario where we end up mixing for half the storm or something. The 500mb low is quite similar in passage to 1996 but maybe a bit SE with time in our region. Same with the 700mb low (below). You can see why the GFS is making those blobs. There's going to be some rockage in that period if it's right but I just think it's creating them wrong at the sfc. Hi rez probz. Know it's an isse we mostly never notice but it is unfortunate here whatever it is.

wdkCShh.gif

SV really does have the clearest graphics of the paid bunch imho

I use it more and more. WxBell is pretty for publication as are some others but in the end a lot of them just end up being too cluttered with all they're showing. Plus SV is fast. :P

A list of airlines allowing free changes and delays for those traveling to, from, or through the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast:

Pretty much all major airports from VA to BOS, 1/22-1/24: 

United

Southwest

Virgin

Alaska

Delta

Air Canada

American (1/21 to 1/24)

JetBlue (1/22 and 1/23 for Mid-Atlantic; 1/23 ONLY for New England)

Spirit (1/22 and 1/23)

Frontier is the only major (top 10 or so) airline without a policy out for this.

My reasoning:

1) you have a large low nearly stationary. Look at the isobars...it is pulling in warm air from the Caribbean, Atlantic and drawing into the region aloft.

2) the high to the north is not a true Arctic airmass and it's not that strong.

3) Crazy things happen with dynamic systems and some of which the best models in the world can't pick up on! That's fact. At some point a dry slot could punch in, mesoscale banding features that dump insane rates, warm air intrusion that's underdone.

Been there and done that forecasting these things.

My issue, which is an issue since I like many of you have to put out a forecast, is that for a long while know we've seen NWP spit out 20-25" across BWI-DCA east toward NAK.  I too expect some mixing -- and with a stalled out low and (thus) a stagnant, maritime airmass aloft, that could be 6+ hours or mixing/sleet or just light pcpn altogether.  It will be awfully hard to get >18" in that scenario. Now, if this is more like Feb 5-6 2010, with little/any mixing, then yeah more widespread 2'+ totals will be likely as they were during that storm. 

I use it more and more. WxBell is pretty for publication as are some others but in the end a lot of them just end up being too cluttered with all they're showing. Plus SV is fast. :P

Frankly, it just looks so much easier to use a white background. It's a touch less snazzy than Wxbell, but it's easy to read when you're half awake in bed looking at a little phone.

Yep. Pretty much everything about it is classic in some sense. I'm probably most worried about a dry slot. But it came awful close on Feb 5-6 so I'm not super worried. I don't really envision a scenario where we end up mixing for half the storm or something. The 500mb low is quite similar in passage to 1996 but maybe a bit SE with time in our region. Same with the 700mb low (below). You can see why the GFS is making those blobs. There's going to be some rockage in that period if it's right but I just think it's creating them wrong at the sfc. Hi rez probz. Know it's an isse we mostly never notice but it is unfortunate here whatever it is.

wdkCShh.gif

Wow. Great post

A list of airlines allowing free changes and delays for those traveling to, from, or through the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast:

Pretty much all major airports from VA to BOS, 1/22-1/24:

United

Southwest

Virgin

Alaska

Delta

Air Canada

American (1/21 to 1/24)

JetBlue (1/22 and 1/23 for Mid-Atlantic; 1/23 ONLY for New England)

Spirit (1/22 and 1/23)

Frontier is the only major (top 10 or so) airline without a policy out for this.

If you are adding NE, add RDU, RIC, CLT to your list, etc. SVA and NC.

I learned that the hard way. Frontier sucks and will leave you without many options, even when weather is the cause. Avoid. 

Archived