joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 17-18th Cape Scrape and Inverted Trough

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was kidding about not knowing what a petaflop is/was ( :) ) but yeah..interesting stuff.  

I think when quantum computing comes along we're going to see a lot of changes, some not all good ;)  but we won't go into that here.  

I think though that in a 100 years, (think, 'man will never fly an airplane - that's impossible!'), we'll see the first attempt at weather controls.  Actually...maybe it would even be before a hundred years - see Moore's Law on technological advancement. ...which ever comes first.  Getting to where the quantum scales can be precisely predicted at exotically tight tolerances is the first step toward using some sort of electromagnetism to 'instruct' momentum of particles.  Once that happens?   Less like science fiction and more like, "What does the weather-modification-matrix have in store for the week."  

It's funny...I was always taught that they could never really predict the weather out to ...pick a long lead, because of the irrepressible force of fractals in nature imposing emergent properties.  Those cannot be predicted - the way it went.  But, maybe "prediction" would no longer even be necessary, because prediction would become how ever we turn the knob.  

OT sorry -

Nice inch of fluff here so far. I think the NORLUN looks good for 3-5" for E Mass. Sorry, can't help but take the bait here, Tip. I actually think you may be on the mark. While Heisenberg provides an absolute limit for our simultaneous measurement of atomic momentum/position, I suspect with the advent of entangled quantum computing exceeding 1000 qubits, maybe more, we'll see an absolute revolution in many fields from medicine to material science to meteorology. Indeed, if the likes of Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg are correct and AGI becomes a reality in 15-20 years, it's not unrealistic to think artificial super intelligence will follow by 2040-50. Who knows what unplumbed laws of nature such intelligence, trillions of times humanity's, may unlock. For all we know, it may unlock the ability to pluck Higgs strings at will or warp space-time. Flawless weather prediction or particle manipulation may become reality. I think of my great grandmother, born in 1905, and what she saw in her life. From a largely agrarian populace without phones, planes or automobiles at her birth, to Internet, men on the moon, split atoms, personal computers, etc. in 90 years. As you said, the pace of innovation in information technology is exponential, and we are already gaining a 20th century's worth of innovation every decade now. When the so-called singularity happens, one cannot say, but I do think it's safe to say that the world we experience when we kick the bucket will be utterly unrecognizable with the one we entered. This is something I discuss all the time with my MIT researcher buddies. Anyway, sorry for the distraction; feel free to move to banter, but definitely wanted to address Tip's words directly. As I said, pretty excited for this NORLUN, and the recent runs with respect to next weekend. Fun times by the look of it.

Archived