• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/17/16 Winter Weather Threat

packfan98

Interesting he says the "Carolinas". GFS Leaves almost all of South Carolina and about half of North Carolina without snow. We'll see what the Euro does with it.

Ive come to the conclusion when someone says the Carolinas they mean NC. Unless they specifically mention SC I don't get excited.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowlover91 sent me this sounding for RDU at height of storm.

Sounding indicates heavy wet snow for Raleigh throughout storm.

Also the PGV sounding is extremely close to snow just too warm. Wouldn't put much weight on snow maps right now. According to the soundings there would be more snow for rdu and maybe east toward Pgv attachicon.gifimage.png

Yeah there is plenty of cold air really close to the surface this isn't typical though for a strong bombing low, usually you expect to see some strong warm air advection on the lower levels as the low cranks in that Atlantic air.....that's said that's a darn good looking sounding all things considered and would be easily overcome with rates.....would be good ole Carolina concrete

Snowlover91 sent me this sounding for RDU at height of storm.

Sounding indicates heavy wet snow for Raleigh throughout storm.

Also the PGV sounding is extremely close to snow just too warm. Wouldn't put much weight on snow maps right now. According to the soundings there would be more snow for rdu and maybe east toward Pgv attachicon.gifimage.png

hm...that makes me feel a little better, but still rdu is right on the line.  verbatim this run would have a tight cutoff for decent accums and mix/rain.

hm...that makes me feel a little better, but still rdu is right on the line.  verbatim this run would have a tight cutoff for decent accums and mix/rain.

RDU is usually always right on the line, though. Just glad to see there is a chance. Could end up all rain, or could end up with a decent amount of snow. That's almost always the case.

What's going on here? Usually the gfs is too flat and out to sea, now it's the most amped.

No clue, it's the bizzaro world, evidently.  The snapshot from the UK looks nice (regarding low placement) for western NC, but not central and east.  

Edit:  Though I have never seen such an unimpressive 500 map for a 994 low...... lol

Maybe the Euro will have the same solution but colder.

Isn't the GFS known for having temps too warm?

Models suck in borderline situations because they do not resolve evaporative cooling. So if the MOS or numerical output has a high of 39 and the precip moves in 19z the model usually sees it as rain even if the dewpoint is 20 and it will wet bulb down

Looks well off the coast at 96...not as amped as last night...GFS on a bit of an island right now

Yeah, i would urge caution about getting too excited per gfs. I've been hopeful about this system for a few days now that it could produce some light snows across the southeast  but  there there isn't much support out there for this run of the gfs. Plus it could be suffering from convective feedback issues like it has been the last few runs which is not helpful.

Archived