Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/17/16 Winter Weather Threat

packfan98

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WPC Sfc Plot for Sunday 7AM and discussion...

"CONFIDENCE IS LOWER THAN DESIRED FOR PCPN COVERAGE/TYPE FROM THE SRN PLAINS THROUGH SOUTHEAST/MID ATLC SAT-SUN DUE TO WIDE VARIATION IN PSBL TRACKS FOR TRAILING LOW PRES. A MORE NRN TRACK AS SEEN IN SOME GFS RUNS/GEFS MEMBERS WOULD ALLOW FOR SOME SNOW IN THE NRN PART OF THE PCPN SHIELD."

So I'll jump on board the weenie train here. A few reasons why I think the GFS has the right solution. First of all the strong Nino and past month argues for a storms to take more of a Miller A approach. Second, the Euro has kept a low, just keeps it's suppressed. We all know how that typically goes. Finally last year with the GFS PARA it seemed to do well IIRC with systems in that 84 - 140 range. Would not be shocked if the Euro "caves" to the GFS solution just a little less amped. Finally, if the GFS is correct there is big potential here don't get too hung up on temps. If that high gets in temps aren't gonna be a problem IMHO. 

So I'll jump on board the weenie train here. A few reasons why I think the GFS has the right solution. First of all the strong Nino and past month argues for a storms to take more of a Miller A approach. Second, the Euro has kept a low, just keeps it's suppressed. We all know how that typically goes. Finally last year with the GFS PARA it seemed to do well IIRC with systems in that 84 - 140 range. Would not be shocked if the Euro "caves" to the GFS solution just a little less amped. Finally, if the GFS is correct there is big potential here don't get too hung up on temps. If that high gets stronger temps aren't gonna be a problem IMHO. 

Agree on the storm.  I have liked this period for a storm all along.  We've seen these systems turn out to be noteworthy all throughout fall and winter so far.  Squashing usually hasn't been the problem.  I think there will be precipitation.  My concern is the source for cold air to be advecting into the storm.  The setup up north could change, as you say.  It's good to have something to talk watch at this point!

Archived