Newest Member
    joxey
1/17/16 Winter Weather Threat

packfan98

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pressure is on to deliver

It was time to start a thread as all models are showing something for parts of the SE, even if only an inch or two. 

No pressure here. I can't control the weather.  Just trying to filter all of the storm talk/model discussion into one place.  I'm not superstitious (fingers crossed).  I can't even get the date right...WE'RE DOOMED!!!

Can someone tell me how it's going to be cold enough for snow outside of the foothills/mountains?  I know "ignore model temps this far out" is popular, but other than hanging our hats on that, is there anything that is realistic that can happen to allow the surface to cool enough to overcome light precip rates, assuming the rates are in fact light?

Here are the factors I can come up with:

1) The Lakes low moves out quicker or turns out not to be there (but this has been a pretty steadfast feature, so I'm not sure how realistic that is), allowing high pressure to build in faster.

2) The models are way off on projected temps and dew points.  But none of them really look cold enough to me.  Are they all wrong?

3) A phase with the northern energy (this also is not shown anywhere and doesn't look likely).

4) The low bombs (again, not shown and doesn't look likely).  In this scenario, without good cold advection present, the bombing low wouldn't really be drawing cold air in at the surface anyway.

5) Precip rates could be heavy enough to cool the column to at or just above freezing to support snow or a rain/snow mix.  I guess this could happen.

Is there any realistic mechanism that could be present to get temps colder than what we're staring at right now?

Can someone tell me how it's going to be cold enough for snow outside of the foothills/mountains?  I know "ignore model temps this far out" is popular, but other than hanging our hats on that, is there anything that is realistic that can happen to allow the surface to cool enough to overcome light precip rates, assuming the rates are in fact light?

Here are the factors I can come up with:

1) The Lakes low moves out quicker or turns out not to be there (but this has been a pretty steadfast feature, so I'm not sure how realistic that is), allowing high pressure to build in faster.

2) The models are way off on projected temps and dew points.  But none of them really look cold enough to me.  Are they all wrong?

3) A phase with the northern energy (this also is not shown anywhere and doesn't look likely).

4) The low bombs (again, not shown and doesn't look likely).  In this scenario, without good cold advection present, the bombing low wouldn't really be drawing cold air in at the surface anyway.

5) Precip rates could be heavy enough to cool the column to at or just above freezing to support snow or a rain/snow mix.  I guess this could happen.

Is there any realistic mechanism that could be present to get temps colder than what we're staring at right now?

Just looking at the past GFS runs the surface dew points continue to get colder as we get closer to the event. As others have stated, this is where the NAM might do a better job once we're within three days.

6z GFS dew points as precip is moving into NC. Notice there is now sub 30 degree temps moving into north NC. Next frame then pushes it back some but this does show a colder solution.

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2016&model_mm=01&model_dd=13&model_init_hh=06&fhour=102&parameter=DPTF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Edit: the below 30 degree dew points are actually in place for N. NC at hour 96.

Just looking at the past GFS runs the surface dew points continue to get colder as we get closer to the event. As others have stated, this is where the NAM might do a better job once we're within three days.

6z GFS dew points as precip is moving into NC. Notice there is now sub 30 degree temps moving into north NC. Next frame then pushes it back some but this does show a colder solution.

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2016&model_mm=01&model_dd=13&model_init_hh=06&fhour=102&parameter=DPTF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Edit: the below 30 degree dew points are actually in place for N. NC at hour 96.

Thanks man.  Seems like we have a ways to go still.  I don't mean to say it can't change.  I guess I'm just wondering what synoptic elements we need to be watching for other than the fallback "the models just don't have a handle on temps yet".

Cold Rain - the 06z GFS sounding isn't that bad actually (near Charlotte below).  It's cold aloft, with a thin warm layer at the sfc - hard to read, but that's 32 deg dewpoint and 34 temp at the sfc.  The 500mb vort max passing to our south argues for this to be cold aloft.  The near sfc temps would be the question...precip occurring at night helps (every little bit helps).  So, that sounding would imply a rain/snow mix or wet snow (probably wet snow).  Of course, that's GFS verbatim. 

I like my chances for a sloppy inch but I'm worried about watching a lot of virga. GFS has me at around 33 during the precip so with our ground temps being cold and it being at night if it does fall it should stick some. Anything will be nice after the past couple of months.

Archived