CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1/17/16 Winter Weather Threat

packfan98

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a great setup here and for the western Piedmont and foothills for what I can tell for a few hours of heavy wet snow. That setup works out here quite a bit (even January 2013 was great here while most rained). Even last February was similar in that BL temps were very marginal (mid-40s hours before the storm).

The details aren't that important, but the fact it trended less suppressed is great.

As others said, during heavy rates RDU may see some flakes..  otherwise, cold rain.  Seen it a million times.  

Next.

and we still have 96+ hrs until the event, most likely will continue to trend nw.  like you said, i have seen this so many times.  this is a 38 and rain situation while points to the west get smoked.

That was a rather significant jump NW from previous runs and it really winds up as it races past us. I wouldn't put much stock in the details until the EC climbs on board. Overall, I would say that was an encouraging run if you're looking for something more than a few token flakes.

It basically jumped to the solution the Para GFS has shown for the past day, which is interesting.

and we still have 96+ hrs until the event, most likely will continue to trend nw.  like you said, i have seen this so many times.  this is a 38 and rain situation while points to the west get smoked.

Also seen this before where the models start trending more NW during this time only to come back a little farther south and east with the track a day or two before it hits.

Looks good Calc. This is the type (as shown in this current run) that splits Rutherford County in half. If that happens, your area will see some wet white snow. 

Zooming in on the SE...

Not bad.  Not bad at all.

Agreed.  For now.  Lots of time to still change, though.

Well, might be wrong and the track could be closer to the coast.

Closer to the coast means warmer.  That's a good one to write down.  It needs to be farther south and east, not closer to to the coast.  And I'm talking about for you and me.  The foothills and mountains look good for some accumulation here...maybe even parts of the piedmont.

Closer to the coast means warmer.  That's a good one to write down.  It needs to be farther south and east, not closer to to the coast.  And I'm talking about for you and me.  The foothills and mountains look good for some accumulation here...maybe even parts of the piedmont.

Yeah, that's what I meant, further south and east. And like I said, we have seen this before where the model has it going NW during this time only to bring it back further south and east a couple of days later right before the system gets here.

Archived