amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
1/17/16 Winter Weather Threat

packfan98

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18z kind of matches with the 06z GFS and some of the prior GFS runs.  Not quite as robust as 12z, for sure.  There's more precip for the mountains and Western Piedmont for maybe a coating to an inch or two, depending on temps and time of day.

The clown shows 1-2" N/W Piedmont and in the mountains with an area of 2-3" in the northern mountains.

The 18z kind of matches with the 06z GFS and some of the prior GFS runs.  Not quite as robust as 12z, for sure.  There's more precip for the mountains and Western Piedmont for maybe a coating to an inch or two, depending on temps and time of day.

Yea certainly not enough to derail the weenie train if you believe the GFS...of course if it goes further south and suppressed the tracks may be about to come off. 

Can we not get the Euro to start trending toward the GFS,  this is crazy, I would never have thought we would be Jan. 13 and still no snow here in the Mtns. other than a few flurries.  I would have thought we would have one descent snow storm by now in WNC.  :cry::snowwindow::snowing:

Yea certainly not enough to derail the weenie train if you believe the GFS...of course if it goes further south and suppressed the tracks may be about to come off. 

Yeah, it's still something and considering we've seen nothing this year, most of us would take it.  I'm still got my weenie self hitched at the hip to the Para GFS until those wheels fall off.

Does anyone have the 12z Parallel Euro? WeatherBell doesn't have it out yet.

Yeah, it's still something and considering we've seen nothing this year, most of us would take it. I'm still got my weenie self hitched at the hip to the Para GFS until those wheels fall off.

Does anyone have the 12z Parallel Euro? WeatherBell doesn't have it out yet.

May be wrong but I'm pretty sure it runs rather irrationally since its experimental. WxBell has it when it's running...could be mistaken though.

Fishel just said it is a battle between the American and European model...  says it will be the ultimate coup or the ultimate embarrassment for the American model.   but we already knew that.  

Euro forecasting pressure of 29.83" and American is 29.21.  Huge difference.  

He showed ensembles and Euro shows 35% of members showing at least a dusting.  American ensembles 57% show dusting.

6% vs. 9.5% of members for 2" or more of snow.  

gfs has shown essentially the same storm and low placement for the past 7 runs.  not sure why everyone is acting crazy because the 18z wasnt a super amped solution like 12z...was similar to 6z imo.

Agreed, 12z has been the only run we've had go to that extreme so far. 18z just seemed par for the course to prior runs before 12z.

Very true sir. I favor a southern slider type of deal.

Possibly. I would really like to see the Euro come around. I know the gfs has been consistent but it's just hard to trust it this far out. We have been here and done that to many times. I would really like the gfs to be right but cannot trust it totally at this point.

Possibly. I would really like to see the Euro come around. I know the gfs has been consistent but it's just hard to trust it this far out. We have been here and done that to many times. I would really like the gfs to be right but cannot trust it totally at this point.

The euro is probably right. I've seen it take the GFS to the woodshed more times than I can remember.

Only sliver of hope I see is that maybe, just maybe the Euro is playing it's bias of holding energy in the SW too long. I think that may be the case here, but I don't think it's so much that we end up with a full phase. I think we end up with some light precipitation ala the ensembles. Not sold on it being snow though for South of 40.

Noone wants to hitch their forecasting wagon to the GFS, but it's by far been the most consistent with the shortwave track and strength. The euro shifted the energy nearly 300 miles south today and looks nothing like it's own ensembles.

That being said, it's still the Euro...

Archived