wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GEFS is quite active d8-15. Looping h5 you can see 3 distinct pac waves cross the country and the same active look at the end of the run. Good times. 

Yeah my growing inkiling is that we're opening into a longer window ahead rather a short one. Still not sold on the clipper business but the "Wes storm" seems like just the start of a sustained volley at least potentially. I do think the looks at range are fairly supportive of suppression but weeklies were wet the Jan 25-Feb 1 period and quite wet offshore the week prior so it's hard to say.

Not to be evil - but didn't the Carolinas cash in big time in '72-'73 with a suppressed storm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes there was a blizzard in SC in Feb. http://www.americanwx.com/models/raleighwx/studies/feb73.html

I feel like there was at least one more sizable event that targeted NC more but maybe I have the year confused. Feb was cold and suppressed here for the most part.

should note that pattern was very different tho.

Just catching up here. Exciting times ahead! One thing seems to be almost certain though. If the DMV is going for above average snowfall this winter, we won't be nickel and diming our way there. The forthcoming pattern says go big or go home. Am I wrong? Yes I know Wednesday could be a few pennies, but I'm looking down the line. And I can't wait...

Yes there was a blizzard in SC in Feb. http://www.americanwx.com/models/raleighwx/studies/feb73.html

I feel like there was at least one more sizable event that targeted NC more but maybe I have the year confused. Feb was cold and suppressed here for the most part.

Thanks - you know me - always looking for ways to fail...just a nice reminder that suppressed is an absolute possibility with that kind of block.

I'll go with late Jan 66. Top analog d8+ and #3 d11+.

Some of the comparative time frames are staggering

1966-still greatest drifting I have ever seen

1977-Chesapeake bay froze, cars on south river

1983-very mild early in season and still the most intense thundersnow ever, 1" in 12 minutes

1985-record wind chills 2am temp -2 with 20 gusting to 30 mph winds

2010-snowmaggedon

Thanks - you know me - always looking for ways to fail...just a nice reminder that suppressed is an absolute possibility with that kind of block.

added a note late but I wouldn't think much about it right now at least compared to patterns. the period of that storm looks very little like what we are progged ahead. definitely would be less salivation despite the 'potential'. ;)

5WlE07D.gif

should note that pattern was very different tho.

Feb 9-11, 1973.  Began snowing late Friday afternoon and went through that Sunday.  I was only 3, so I don't have any recollection of that event (sadly).  My family and I were living in Sumter SC while my dad was stationed at Shaw AFB.  I always tease Paul Kocin as to why it's not in "the book", but we both know the answer (it wasn't a northeast snowstorm) :)

Ended up with 20-24" in Sumter.

I found this cool youtube video clip of that storm, which was apparently taken not far from where we lived...

Didn't know there was still a Parallel GFS...

What does the next frame look like? Up to coast or OTS?

Yeah, the parallel gfs has some very minor model changes to address a near surface bias and significant DA changes (hybrid 4D EnVar, aircraft bias correction, all-sky MW radiance assimilation, and more...).  I have not seen the updated schedule, but I think it is supposed to go in sometime in March or April.

Yeah, the parallel gfs has some very minor model changes to address a near surface bias and significant DA changes (hybrid 4D EnVar, aircraft bias correction, all-sky MW radiance assimilation, and more...).  I have not seen the updated schedule, but I think it is supposed to go in sometime in March or April.

Ah...Interesting...

Thanks!

Just catching up here. Exciting times ahead! One thing seems to be almost certain though. If the DMV is going for above average snowfall this winter, we won't be nickel and diming our way there. The forthcoming pattern says go big or go home. Am I wrong? Yes I know Wednesday could be a few pennies, but I'm looking down the line. And I can't wait...

Euro now drops a pv lobe sledge into the conus with a 1050 HP dropping down. Beyond suppression. 

For anyone who thinks the GFS has big shifts in the med-lr, the euro just topped it today.  

I guess more patience will be required.  at least we have the cold. 

I know these are next to useless for individual storms, but at least they are starting to look more like what they did preceding our good runs the last few years.  starting to see a clear uptick in snowfall run to run

attachicon.gifenssnow.gif

I find it very interesting that the mean has measurable snow in Florida.  That has to be rare for the mean to have that. 

Archived