• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

That last gfs run was a big jump off the suppression train.

Well depends how you look at it. There is 3 waves entering the CONUS from the West. The 6z GFS squashed the first 2. (The 00z EURO is bombing out #1).......GFS then blew up #3.

The models are having an incredibly hard time deciding which shortwave is going to be the main player. 

The 00z EURO bombed out #1, squashed #2, and then showed a SE HECS with #3....

My only worry is that the flow is so fast that none of the waves has time to dig and become strong enough.....However on the other hand it gives us 3 chances at a storm to form. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well depends how you look at it. There is 3 waves entering the CONUS from the West. The 6z GFS squashed the first 2. (The 00z EURO is bombing out #1).......GFS then blew up #3.

The models are having an incredibly hard time deciding which shortwave is going to be the main player. 

The 00z EURO bombed out #1, squashed #2, and then showed a SE HECS with #3....

My only worry is that the flow is so fast that none of the waves has time to dig and become strong enough.....However on the other hand it gives us 3 chances at a storm to form. 

Shouldn't a strong block slow down the flow?

We need that storm to slide a little bit more to the south of us for us to get the full impact. It looks as if as depicted its going to be a rain snow line near Washington type of deal.

No... It would be a snowstorm. With blocking... Climo... Cold air around... Anything that doesn't cut should produce snow.

No... It would be a snowstorm. With blocking... Climo... Cold air around... Anything that doesn't cut should produce snow.

Well if you want to be a weenine like me and check buffkit. It actually starts as sleet  at MRB. So a mixed bag event in DC would be likely. Obviously it is a long ways off.

Eps members most bullish all winter for snow chances the next 15 days. Not surprising.

DC mean is 3" and a dozen show 6" or more. Hopefully every run ups the ante thorough the end of the month and we walk into Feb with 10"+ at the airports.

It looks like wxbell fixed the snow algo across the board. Comparing the eirp members to the snow plots looks pretty realistic. Op is definitely more realistic.

Eps members most bullish all winter for snow chances the next 15 days. Not surprising.

DC mean is 3" and a dozen show 6" or more. Hopefully every run ups the ante thorough the end of the month and we walk into Feb with 10"+ at the airports.

Yeah. My low guess in the snow totals thread is in serious jeopardy over the next month.

The parallel 0z Euro doesn't support the OP Wave 1 idea but instead is keying in on the 17th/18th (Wave 2).  Primary low tracks from Mobile/FL panhandle to coastal SC to a 992 off OBX.  It does though track a weaker secondary low inland at the same time.  I would think the stronger primary low would take over and the secondary would disappear sooner.  

It looks like wxbell fixed the snow algo across the board. Comparing the eirp members to the snow plots looks pretty realistic. Op is definitely more realistic.

agree on weather bell snow maps Just looking at modeled snow I was not impressed with anything I saw last night and this mornings. For dc and east However I know it will change every 6 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verbatim its not a great track for the cities and coastal plain. CMC had a similar idea iirc. A more rainy look for our area. Its on the table, as is something more suppressed. The early week cold shot and trough will rotate out, and looks like we get some relaxation/moderation towards next weekend. Looks like a new trough then builds into the central US, so not inconceivable we could end up seeing a less than ideal track with a messy/mixy storm, if in fact a wave develops late next weekend. Lots to be resolved, as always looking 7 days out..

Wave #2 looks pretty decent around the 4 corners @ 126 hours. I honestly am hoping that the models start putting all the energy into one wave that way we can get a larger storm instead of 3 weaker impulses

It definitely looks more amplified than 06z. However, because there are so many pieces of energy, the evolution of these pieces will be very difficult for the models to determine at this lead time. Things should be much clearer once the midweek storm is within 48h. The pattern still looks full of potential and that really all that you can ask for. I would be surprised if the models locked onto a wave this early, and then even figured out that wave's evolution.

Archived