joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stated this in a post earlier today. The initial cold shot this week is in and out, we moderate towards the end of the week/next weekend, as the next cold trough builds into the central US. So depending on timing of the wave(s), it is certainly possible we could get a more inland track or a re-developer next weekend/early the following week.

Like I said earlier the Pacific is overwhelming the pattern doesnt matter if there is a -ao or -nao welcome to the winter of 2015-16

It's getting easier to see the possible end game with never getting the right ingredients for winter weather. And winter just does a death spiral until spring. None of the guidance is getting better...it's getting worse.

It's getting easier to see the possible end game with never getting the right ingredients for winter weather. And winter just does a death spiral until spring. None of the guidance is getting better...it's getting worse.

Just a hunch but remember we are not just dealing with El Nino but the entire Pacific is warm and above normal its my number 1 fear against snow.

First wave is OTS on every model and every ensemble member even though there's a  favorable pattern.  Thats how several KU storms showed up 6 days out, including December 2009.

ecmwf para model has a lakes cutter now. This is far from being over.

Just a hunch but remember we are not just dealing with El Nino but the entire Pacific is warm and above normal its my number 1 fear against snow.

Of course there is still a long way to go until next weekend...and there is model conflict...some cutters, some beaut's, some OTS...so everything and nothing in play. Clear as mud for another couple days I suspect.

For those that that use WxBell...I am a bit confused with the diff between the snow MeteoGrams and the ind members.

Example, for HGR, MeteoGram ens mean indicates roughly 1" of snow as the mean. I count 5 members with 6"+.

Looking at the ind members....Ens mean is 2.5-3".  Inspecting the members themselves I count 8-9 members with 6"+.

I have noticed this discrepancy for a while now.  Am I missing something or not understanding something?

Agreed and I took a jab at the inconsistent models from run to run about an hour ago. But as PSU has been telling us, we need patience. The advertised pattern change has not really occurred yet. Once it does, hopefully some of the chaos will abate and the models will react accordingly..

we really can't get any better than this all things considered

ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/reforecast2/teleconn/4panel.png

Hey Ian. Notice anything on this 10 EPS map? I do. There's that odd trough at the North Pole that I pointed out to you strangely present on the 5H composite maps you posted the other day for our biggest snowfalls. Just sayin'. Lol.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf-ens&region=nhem&pkg=z500a&runtime=2016010912&fh=216&xpos=0&ypos=0

Yeah saw that. Starting to get thru my list of top events individually. You don't see it too often but there are a few. Think we mostly need to get past the first wave... perhaps that one could still be a big event but it seems more like a stage setter at this point. As the block pulses down it drops into a very nice position historically. From about there thru the end it's pretty quality overall though the suppression concern probably grows with time if it's right.

Sometimes we'll get these blocks to set up and roll around for a week or three before the main action as well, which is certainly possible here. I'm more and more on the train that it'll keep going for a while in the means tho perhaps it'll wane/grow at times. I'd be more confident if it didn't just come out of nowhere. I did pull up some months last night with nice overall blocking sigs that weren't too notable though. I think we have short memories with that stuff. :P

Yeah saw that. Starting to get thru my list of top events individually. You don't see it too often but there are a few. Think we mostly need to get past the first wave... perhaps that one could still be a big event but it seems more like a stage setter at this point. As the block pulses down it drops into a very nice position historically. From about there thru the end it's pretty quality overall though the suppression concern probably grows with time if it's right.

Sometimes we'll get these blocks to set up and roll around for a week or three before the main action as well, which is certainly possible here. I'm more and more on the train that it'll keep going for a while in the means tho perhaps it'll wane/grow at times. I'd be more confident if it didn't just come out of nowhere. I did pull up some months last night with nice overall blocking sigs that weren't too notable though. I think we have short memories with that stuff. :P

I'm leaning more towards the weekend system after seeing where the NAO and AO are being modeled to trend following any solutions.

The good news? The GFS has a strong shortwave down south. 

Bad news? There is a pesky ULL over the Lakes from a lobe that breaks off, makes it so HP can't build in that area, 

The ironic news? That lobe could form another 50/50 @ 192 hours and there is energy coming in from the West. lol

Archived