wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can see by 150 a cold hp dropping right into the mw because of more favorable upper levels. Another key feature we need to hope for. I like seeing these things on ops in medium range.

Its way out in front of the 18Z run, but the jury is still out there.

GFS does what the 00z EURO did to an extent. The PV is now too strong & the energy down south is too strung out and weak...However it is okay, the setup is still there. I'm actually more positive about the storm after this run 

Yeah the ops tend to wash out those southern stream vorts in the mid-long range periods with a significant block, and they usually end up bringing them back in the short - med range.  I would rather see suppression at this point with a setup like this for sure.  I believe the nino will help ensure the southern stream energy will be there when we need it.

GFS does what the 00z EURO did to an extent. The PV is now too strong & the energy down south is too strung out and weak...However it is okay, the setup is still there. I'm actually more positive about the storm after this run

Medium to long range pv drops have been verifying weaker this winter. Who knows if that is right this time but I'd much prefer to see this than what 0z dished out. There is no ns low tracking the lakes and actual cold hp to the N. I thought the run was a relief.

I think we're better off with the stronger PV. Not sure it will really be suppressed.

Suppression is a concern with that much blocking. It all depends on the position of the PV. 2010 it was in perfect position for us. Not so for NY city and North though. Any solution is viable at this point. Including no storm at all.

If I recall in 2010 correctly there were a number of runs leading up to the big ones that year that showed suppression and a sharp northern cutoff to the precip.  That cutoff eventually trended north in the short term getting DC/Baltimore into the heavy axis.  This will be a similar setup to 2010, so that's something to keep in mind. 

If I recall in 2010 correctly there were a number of runs leading up to the big ones that year that showed suppression and a sharp northern cutoff to the precip.  That cutoff eventually trended north in the short term getting DC/Baltimore into the heavy axis.  This will be a similar setup to 2010, so that's something to keep in mind. 

This usually happens with this kind of setup. The models will waffle around a lot moving the heaviest axis back and forth.

Please do.  All deterministic model output beyond 90 hours should have a "For Entertainment Purposes Only" line added to the time/date stamp at the bottom...

I agree with this, but I think you can also see patterns in the misses.

For me, watching the gfs at long range (7-10) it seems that it has consistently been too far east and suppressed with storms that we have had.  Because of that, my take on the 7-10 from here is that suppression is the last thing we will have to worry about....if there is a storm.

Archived