joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall the Jan 30th even pretty well, really unexpected, ended up closing the office and I got an extended weekend out of it. Then the following week with back to back big storms. Pretty sweet 10 days of snow

Pure cold powder, 6" worth, on Jan. 30.  And the start of what I still think is the most incredible 12 day period of concentrated winter weather I've ever experienced (including what I remember from living in Ohio).  Nearly 50" where I'm at in that time period, and I've never seen that even with lake effect snows in the Cleveland area.  Certainly not that much on the synoptic scale.

I recall the Jan 30th even pretty well, really unexpected, ended up closing the office and I got an extended weekend out of it. Then the following week with back to back big storms. Pretty sweet 10 days of snow

I had to drop my wife off at Hopkins that morning as my sister-in-law was having cancer surgery that day. I'll never forget happening to glance in my rear view mirror at a time when only a few flakes were making to the ground and noticed the top of the old USF&G/Legg Mason building gone as a blanket of snow was descending from the sky. It made it down to the ground while I was heading home on Lombard. Fond memory that day indeed as it was for my sister-in-law who came through the surgery fine and has passed the 5-year hump.

One of the most fun storms in my life. At 7 am on Friday my forecast for Saturday was 20% chance is snow showers. When the 12z models rolled out with the huge north jump, they changed it to a 50% chance. By 6pm every county in Va had a WSW or a WWA....except my county but my forecast jumped to 70% chance of 1 inch. By about 10 pm I was in the WWA but was the only county not in a WSW. By the time I woke the next morning I was in the WSW and 100% chance. I also remember that even with temps in the teens, there was not even one minute of virga. As soon as the first echo showed, flakes were falling.

One of the most fun storms in my life. At 7 am on Friday my forecast for Saturday was 20% chance is snow showers. When the 12z models rolled out with the huge north jump, they changed it to a 50% chance. By 6pm every county in Va had a WSW or a WWA....except my county but my forecast jumped to 70% chance of 1 inch. By about 10 pm I was in the WWA but was the only county not in a WSW. By the time I woke the next morning I was in the WSW and 100% chance. I also remember that even with temps in the teens, there was not even one minute of virga. As soon as the first echo showed, flakes were falling.

Those were good days my friend. And as our train is pulling into the station and we board the 0z train to Pain City I just want to say it was a great ride. Thanks for the memories and see you soon.

FIRST   a comment about  JAN 11-12   Low/ busted forecasted  ...I couLD  do a JB   thing   AND   "say well I got the pattern    right ...    But I wont.   That forecast was  based on    key assumption    that the  Jan 11-12   arctic cold front  --which we all  can now see  IS coming ... would arrive  FIRST  before the Low  over  AL  developed .    The early development of LOW   killed that whole idea

OK on this  event...  The KEYS  to this threat   are

1)  the  severe -AO and   historic  -NAO ( -4sd)   that is going to develop

2)  the   New England  clipper Low JAN 13-14   gets  trapped by the block  and becomes a massive 50/ 50 Low or  the PV

3) the   SPLIT  flow  pattern  and the  strong  short wave over southern   Calif 

ANY MODEL  solution   that   has the  50/50 Low  and/ or  PV in se  Canada  and the Huge  massive -NAO and   Strong -AO  but takes the LOW Inland  (such as  an  Ohio valley  or Appalachian track)  is   simply  meteorologically impossible.  

That  being  the case... if the  18z GFS  and 12Z high ECMWF  parallel Model are  overdoing 
the   50/50 Low  then   things    will be very different 

post-9415-0-63124400-1452220380_thumb.pn

post-9415-0-07371600-1452220390_thumb.jp

post-9415-0-91061200-1452220396_thumb.jp

post-9415-0-09736900-1452220401_thumb.jp

I wonder if we might pull out a light event in and around the 13th?? There's a little clipper type system showing up in quite a few 18z members.....quite a few more than were there at 12z.

I have not written off snow Tues pm into Wednesday AM wonder if wave of low pressure forms along the boundary to our east explodes rapidly moving slowly

Hey I did LR PBP on the 18z GFS and we got a MECS. I'll go for it again. 

Through 114 HRs the 00z run is impressively similar to the 18z run at the same time. 18z had a slightly more impressive West Coast ridge. The energy out in the Pacific which ends up forming the storm we are talking about looks a bit more potent FWIW 

I have not written off snow Tues pm into Wednesday AM wonder if wave of low pressure forms along the boundary to our east explodes rapidly moving slowly

0Z gfs is starting to support that I believe. Highzenberg, all yours!

The night of the Superbowl? That was 2/7/10, which many DC area residents spent without power. Did you mean another date?

You know what, I got it confused. By the time of the superbowl the models were already showing it. It was either the GGEM or GFS which first showed that 2nd Feb storm though I do know that

Hey I did LR PBP on the 18z GFS and we got a MECS. I'll go for it again. 

Through 114 HRs the 00z run is impressively similar to the 18z run at the same time. 18z had a slightly more impressive West Coast ridge. The energy out in the Pacific which ends up forming the storm we are talking about looks a bit more potent FWIW 

What are the implications for later in the run for being more potent out in the Pacific

What I don't like about this run is that the ULL is kind of splitting in half. The 18z had a very large ULL which contributed to a lot of confluence over the East. @ 156 hrs it looks like it might be hard for a HP to build in to the region we need it if there is a ULL in South-Central Canada. 

What I don't like about this run is that the ULL is kind of splitting in half. The 18z had a very large ULL which contributed to a lot of confluence over the East. @ 156 hrs it looks like it might be hard for a HP to build in to the region we need it if there is a ULL in South-Central Canada.

Maybe, but a lot can happen in 48 hrs...or if not this run, then the next.

Maybe, but a lot can happen in 48 hrs...or if not this run, then the next.

Even if this run shows a Lakes Cutter I still love the potential and the setup. Mitch we both know every run at this time frame is going to be different. I am just so hungry for something to track that I am staying up for the EURO for an event 240 hours away lol. It has been over 9 months can you blame me? 

Sounds like bad news. Oh well on to the Euro..... just kidding lets let the run finish.

FYI I'm not a meteorologist, just a nut job. You're new to this kind of stuff....Normally I'd probably get banned for doing a PBP for an event this far out, so please relax. At this range we rely on ensembles....even if this run showed a 60" blizzard it wouldn't mean a thing. 

Archived