joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As DT would state, we have a Pamela Anderson situation at 174 hours with two ULL's sitting next to each other in Canada. Really need the one on the East to hold its position or that energy out west will cut. 

I thought so too, though getting kind of late to cut?

Things to take from this run regardless of what it does here on out.

1) The setup is consistent. The energy crashing into the Southwest is shown again 

2) It looks like there is going to be a big ULL forming in SE Canada near the 50/50 position. How strong it is & where exactly it forms etc. will play a huge role to the result. 

As DT would state, we have a Pamela Anderson situation at 174 hours with two ULL's sitting next to each other in Canada. Really need the one on the East to hold its position or that energy out west will cut.

He normally also hates the GFS for winter storms outside of 84hrs. Not saying he is right or wrong. Just that he says it quite frequently.

My question is how can you have such a nice track this time of year and still end up with that much rain? Qpf is a + in my book.

eta: Look at that separation between 500mb and 1000mb!

extremely warm Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico pretty in addition to the El Nino you cannot  have stale cold air  masses in this pattern and slow moving storms the negative gives the atmosphere time to warm up and cold to erode away!

My question is how can you have such a nice track this time of year and still end up with that much rain? Qpf is a + in my book.

eta: Look at that separation between 500mb and 1000mb!

Because of that weird ULL that breaks off of the PV. It is most likely wrong so it doesn't matter 

People are way over thinking this looking at op runs. You could see that it wasn't going to work this time by hr 132-150 in the run. All the good stuff in 18z was gone in 0z. Just compare the h5 vort panels. Ull in canada slides east and isn't as impressive. Ridge pops in front of the vort in the middle of the conus and there is no more cold high pressure. The second you see that you know it's all downhill. Or uphill in this case

Guys look @ the 500mb @ 147 hours. See that ULL near Manitoba? IMO if that piece was more phased with the PV as a whole & farther south we would of had a HP build in. Instead watch as it meanders Westward. Now watch the next few frames and underneath that ULL you get ridging.

That piece is also dangerous because it can phase in with the southern energy and cause a cutter. Thankfully it looks to me right now that the southern piece tracks too far south for it to ever phase in with that

People are way over thinking this looking at op runs. You could see that it wasn't going to work this time by hr 132-150 in the run. All the good stuff in 18z was gone in 0z. Just compare the h5 vort panels. Ull in canada slides east and isn't as impressive. Ridge pops in front of the vort in the middle of the conus and there is no more cold high pressure. The second you see that you know it's all downhill. Or uphill in this case

Consequence of using instantweathermaps single layers

That piece is also dangerous because it can phase in with the southern energy and cause a cutter. Thankfully it looks to me right now that the southern piece tracks too far south for it to ever phase in with that

January 1966 this happened. We made out fine in that one though.

Most guidance is now showing more than a flurry late tues into early Wed morn. Euro is a dusting. CMC is a half inch in the city and a 1.5 Mt parkton jack.

Low passing to the N comes with typical issues. Best dynamics north and temps on return flow before precip are always a problem. But it's looking more likely as we move forward in time that we'll have our biggest event so far this winter.

Archived