• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

Most guidance is now showing more than a flurry on on Wed. Euro is a dusting. CMC is a half inch in the city and a 1.5 Mt parkton jack.

Low passing to the N comes with typical issues. Best dynamics north and temps on return flow before precip are always a problem. But it's looking more likely as we move forward in time that we'll have our biggest event so far this winter.

If I got one flake...it would be my biggest event of the winter

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ 204 hrs....wow that is one HELL of a NAO block. It is basically retrograding the around the PV. I don't have a clue what it is going to do in the next few frames, but I do think its better than 12z.

The shortwaves do seem a bit chaotic and all over the place so idk if its going to form a big low, but regardless the pieces are on the playing field

@ 204 hrs....wow that is one HELL of a NAO block. It is basically retrograding the around the PV. I don't have a clue what it is going to do in the next few frames, but I do think its better than 12z.

The shortwaves do seem a bit chaotic and all over the place so idk if its going to form a big low, but regardless the pieces are on the playing field

are you crazy man...it's 10 days out. Go to bed

To summarize, the Northern stream looked better this run, but the shortwave down south was kind of disjointed and all over the place couldn't get its act together, its all good thoigh

It wasn't a rainy cutter. And through some jacked up evolution we got the column right even though the southern stream was a garbled mess. It was a good run in a weird way that will change another 10 times before we have half a clue.

Unicorn storm has returned on the GFS

I didn't even look at 0z so to me it was never gone.  I had a feeling 0z said "WTF" to the 18z.  6z looks nice but its one level of suppression away from screwing half the forum...2 levels from screwing most of it.  But I like our chances...I love our chances

Things look a touch more robust for the midweek event on the GFS. Not really saying much to go from a dusting to a half inch verbatim, but it's something. 

Actually not bad looking at Bufkit. Looks like snow growth will be just a hair off the best spot for it according to this run, but it's looking like our first potential accumulation could be well on its way if this were to materialize. The signal for a nice robust vort and strong PVA is looking more impressive each day.

post-9895-0-95908800-1452252178_thumb.pn

6z has a weirdass surface evolution.  But, such is life when you have a very complex s/w interaction between northern and southern streams.  Don't expect the models to lock into one solution on this one anytime soon.  If there's a storm, and it doesn't cut to the UP of Michigan, then that's a win for the next few days.  18z GFS-style pr0n is just a bonus. 

Bird-in-hand and all, I'm encouraged the models are getting more "bullish" on next Tuesday/Wednesday for a flizzard.  6z GFS has a nice vort pass for DC and points northward. 

P.S.  That northern stream storm that might give us flurries or a dusting next week is critical to the Day 9/Wes storm, because it turns into that monster black hole over Nova Scotia that (hopefully) stops our unicorn from cutting. 

6z has a weirdass surface evolution.  But, such is life when you have a very complex s/w interaction between northern and southern streams.  Don't expect the models to lock into one solution on this one anytime soon.  If there's a storm, and it doesn't cut to the UP of Michigan, then that's a win for the next few days.  18z GFS-style pr0n is just a bonus. 

Bird-in-hand and all, I'm encouraged the models are getting more "bullish" on next Tuesday/Wednesday for a flizzard.  6z GFS has a nice vort pass for DC and points northward. 

it'll happen.  I will be in Key West for work.  it usually snows while I am gone.  But I will be high tailing it home in time for the possible big show which would be a lock if I were gone at that time,

Actually not bad looking at Bufkit. Looks like snow growth will be just a hair off the best spot for it according to this run, but it's looking like our first potential accumulation could be well on its way if this were to materialize. The signal for a nice robust vort and strong PVA is looking more impressive each day.

attachicon.gifKiad 1.png

trough axis goes neg right as it swings by us.  if there is a bit more energy at the base of that it could be a nice surprise for some.

trough axis goes neg right as it swings by us.  if there is a bit more energy at the base of that it could be a nice surprise for some.

Yeah. I'm liking the look right now and I'm someone who likes to see what's in front of them and not go meandering into the future. I could see a few spots getting .25-1" if everything turns out perfectly. It's not a bomb by any means, but when you start with nothing, beggars can't be choosers  :lol:

Yeah. I'm liking the look right now and I'm someone who likes to see what's in front of them and not go meandering into the future. I could see a few spots getting .25-1" if everything turns out perfectly. It's not a bomb by any means, but when you start with nothing, beggars can't be choosers  :lol:

Any thoughts on how the ridges in western MD and WV (Oakland/Davis) could do with this event?  I think during our little surprise clipper last January that area managed to snag 6-7 inches over a short period.

Any thoughts on how the ridges in western MD and WV (Oakland/Davis) could do with this event?  I think during our little surprise clipper last January that area managed to snag 6-7 inches over a short period.

Haven't looked into much detail on those areas, but with a nice up-slope flow and 850 temps around -15 - -18C, I could see the ridges above 2500' getting 2-4" with 3-5" above 3,000'. The vort is pretty nice on both the GFS and Euro. Could very well be many's first accumulation of the season.

Haven't looked into much detail on those areas, but with a nice up-slope flow and 850 temps around -15 - -18C, I could see the ridges above 2500' getting 2-4" with 3-5" above 3,000'. The vort is pretty nice on both the GFS and Euro. Could very well be many's first accumulation of the season.

Awesome thanks for responding! I know the people who run the cross-country ski center up in Davis have been hurting big time because they are 100% dependent on natural snow, so hopefully this gets the ball rolling for them.

Looking at the EPS mean for Day 9-10, it doesn't appear that it has much of a storm in our area, if at all. Looks pretty suppressed. Maybe those with access can elaborate.

Also, the GFS is really interesting so far this season.  Obviously, one would not expect a lot of continuity at 9-10 days out, but also look at how different the weekend system is playing out vs. what was forecast at long range.  It will be very interesting to see what the weather is actually like on Jan 17.  Those in the know have been excited by the pattern, so I think we have reason to at least indulge in hope for a storm.

Looking at the EPS mean for Day 9-10, it doesn't appear that it has much of a storm in our area, if at all. Looks pretty suppressed. Maybe those with access can elaborate.

Also, the GFS is really interesting so far this season. Obviously, one would not expect a lot of continuity at 9-10 days out, but also look at how different the weekend system is playing out vs. what was forecast at long range. It will be very interesting to see what the weather is actually like on Jan 17. Those in the know have been excited by the pattern, so I think we have reason to at least indulge in hope for a storm.

Yeah, eps must have a fair bit of spread given the look of the mean. 6Z gefs doesn't look great, but it has a strung out low on the coast. Better gefs consensus for the 21st actually.

As much as I wish it was true, that 6z GFS 500mb evolution is a freaking joke. The huge block really messes with the evolution. You get that initial low that rides N and kind of putters out @ 240 hours, then you get another low that forms out in the Atlantic and destroys the rest of the NE @ 264 + hours.

I guess it isn't 'impossible'...we've seen dual lows like January 2011 (my fav storm of all time)

The gfs for next weekend looks like the gfs of about a week ago for this weekend. A miller B. This weeks version turned into a GL cutter. I suppose the blocking is better for next weekend.

This weeks version was modeled to be a Chicago/Iowa cutter just a few days ago.  It is now modeled to be a Cincinnati cutter.  That's quite a difference, and with a high to our northeast would have been a winter storm setup.  That's what I've been saying about the GFS.  Use at long range with caution.  We are still very much in the game regardless of what it might show right now.

Archived