• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

Yeah JB says could be BIG STORM coming up out the gulf next week riding up the coast ala March 1993 Similarities... on 500mb charts. HE IS NOT FORECASTING A SUPER STORM just trough and ridgesetc.... have that look for a big storm.... And a warm up for a while but FAB FEB is on the table......................  

In my opinion any storm would have to EARN it's right to be compared to that storm. Not just for our area but for the eastern third of the country, that truly was a "storm of the century."  That storm is in a category by itself as far as I am concerned.  

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@312 through 348 on the 12z GFS looks too good to be true.. The HP to the northeast looks way too strong (atleast to my amateur eyes)

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_47.png

Indeed that is a thing of beauty but it may as well be a map for Jan 2032. Pure fantasy at that range. The 1039 H looks great to me though, that is what we want to see, and one of the ingredients we were missing for this storm to bring many of us into the snow game. Hopefully we'll have a couple more chances for a good SNOW (not ice) still to come. :snowman:

Indeed that is a thing of beauty but it may as well be a map for Jan 2032. Pure fantasy at that range. The 1039 H looks great to me though, that is what we want to see, and one of the ingredients we were missing for this storm to bring many of us into the snow game. Hopefully we'll have a couple more chances for a good SNOW (not ice) still to come. :snowman:

Nothing scientific to base this on but I think that the Southeast in general will have several more chances through Feb at least just that kind of year imo

Interesting statement in today's 8-14 day outlook:

FORECAST CONFIDENCE FOR THE 8-14 DAY PERIOD IS: AVERAGE, 3 OUT OF 5, DUE TO

CONTINUED GOOD AGREEMENT AMONG THE ENSEMBLE MEANS WITH THE 500-HPA PATTERN,

OFFSET BY THE POTENTIAL FOR ARCTIC AIR TO ENTER THE LOWER 48 ASSOCIATED WITH A

POSITIVE 500-HPA HEIGHT ANOMALY CENTER NORTHEAST OF ALASKA.

Euro and it's ensembles did very well with identifying and laying out the 5h from 5 days out for today's storm. Did a fantastic job. Now zeroing in on everyone's microclimate as far as qpf, warm nose not so well, but when does it. For me it. Insistently showed I would have mixing issues and I did. The qpf of 1.75+ is where it's gonna bust by probably .75 if not more. Anyway glad to see it sniffing this out with consistency.

Saw a post elsewhere about the UKMET depiction of the potential 5 day system... it looks a whole lot like 1973, no joking.  Warmer though.

we need to some how get the good cold high pressure in a prime spot and it sit there for a while and have other cold highs replace it when it moves on.  cold air needs to be firmly entrenched before the next storm and hope it is a true Miller A

we need to some how get the good cold high pressure in a prime spot and it sit there for a while and have other cold highs replace it when it moves on. cold air needs to be firmly entrenched before the next storm and hope it is a true Miller A

Need a faster solution. A week system would easily tap the cold and draw it in behind the system . A later week system like euro wouldn't do anyone much good as temps will me moderating by then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18z GFS has it

18z looks like cold chasing rain for the Wed system. I then has two MONSTERS in early Feb but both are lakes cutters so waaaay too far North. Also has some fairly warm temps off an on during the first week of Feb. 

Last runs of the NAVGEM and Canadian also have the Wed system and look quite similar to the 18z GFS. All of them look like cold chasing rain to me. A good parent high also seems to be missing.

18z looks like cold chasing rain for the Wed system. I then has two MONSTERS in early Feb but both are lakes cutters so waaaay too far North. Also has some fairly warm temps off an on during the first week of Feb.

Last runs of the NAVGEM and Canadian also have the Wed system and look quite similar to the 18z GFS. All of them look like cold chasing rain to me. A good parent high also seems to be missing.

CMC looks good to me

The 00z Euro has a nice Miller A, except it's way too warm. I'm not sure how we can overcome that at this point. Not too enthused.

6z was close but continues to keep the precip right off the coast. One thing to remember, all we need is some kind of high to our north. There is a lot of snow from our location northward. If we get a northerly winds, temps will be colder. This sounds just like the 1996 situation; where 5 days after the big storm we ended up with an ice storm because of all the snow to the north. If the snow was not there we would have got rain.   

Euro might be under-estimating the CAD at this range. IF that high pressure can lock in a little longer it would be in perfect position. Plus you got the snow pack over virginia/New York that the cold air would be traveling over. EPS looks great. For those of you who have weatherbell. Check out the 132hr frame of the EPS low locations map. That's a great look, IMO.

00z GEFS & 00z Canadian Ensembles both have members with a system off the coast next week.  Temperatures are of course, a major issue for most.  Canadian members have some Wintry/Mix scenarios... but as we know the Canadian models are generally too cold in most situations.

This week some folks are going to get in on the goods and possibly more than once. Odds strongly favor a true miller A perfect track by Thursday, but before then there is a great shot at some overruning. Alot of us have seen snow fall 3 seperate times in the span of 6 days. Next week has the potential to be as eventful as this past week and yes another big dog HECS is fixing to pop up on the menu.

Archived