SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that mentioned as a formative/contributing factor to a developing storm system or in response to one...? In the context of El Niño would you expect this to be in conjunction with the STJ or am I off base here? My apologies for stupid questions.

Is that mentioned as a formative/contributing factor to a developing storm system or in response to one...? In the context of El Niño would you expect this to be in conjunction with the STJ or am I off base here? My apologies for stupid questions.

each storm is different,unrelated to Nino.

The Euro has become obsessed with cutters beyond 120-144 since the upgrade in 2009 or 10, even in unfavorable patterns for them with raging -NAOs.  That said this is not that unfavorable a cutter pattern, I can certainly see it, though not to the extent of the system just a few days ago.  The problem is the high does not look as good this time so I don't think many places would do better.  I would not worry too much unless the Euro locks onto this until inside 110-120, it really seems to love cutting things the last several years now in the long range.

yeah, it's actually just a middle range bias ...everywhere, with that model. it tends to deepen toughs a tad too much - or so it seems. it's sneaky in the way it goes about doing it.  like, if one goes back and looks at the hard numbers ...it doesn't seem (for some reason) to show up in the verification - but the model definitely finds a way to turn systems polarward too early in their life-cycles. and ...it all in part manifests its self by seemingly being too 'depthy' with the parental troughs that gave birth to the cyclones.  

contrasting, it seems to have too much north component on the east slopes of ridges ... sort of a chicken and egg thing there; is the trough too deep, or the ridge too tall?  

it's almost like what's really going on is that the model isn't too far off assessing the depth of nadirs and heights at the nodal cores of the dips and elevations in the atmosphere, but it is perhaps wrong about the 'angular trajectories' that curve around those features. having too much north-south character in the curvi-linear sense could certainly give the illusion of 'too deep', or 'too tall' with the troughs and ridge.  interesting...  anyway, i have not seen any papers or write-ups by any official sources on this, yet it is something that most operational mets and ...eh hm, obsessive types that spend too much time on weather forums ( :) ) know full well is 'real'.  somewhere in between reality lurks there... 

in any event, because of it all we witness at the times, the model bullying ridge rims down over new england and southeast canada too much in the spring and summer.  it takes small innocuous perturbations in the flow over the rockies, whether it be from mountain torque around shasta to a wayward thunderstorm complex in montana (take a pick), and propagates way too much influence downstream.  if one is tracking early heat in the upper ov/ne regioins from april to june, the euro is probably the last model to use - man!   

yet it's spot on in the 'whether a system at all is going to take place' -- it's hard to trade this latter performance.  we'd like to know if a system out there on d6/7 or 8 ...is actually not just some computer enhanced/fractal emergent dream that goes poof when time cleaves open the eyes of uncertainty in the shorter time range.  but even the euro has a d9 fantasy from time to time - tru dhat!  ...so maybe not. heh.  

at this point, i tend to trust the model knows the systems are real at d6.5; i don't trust at all that it has much of a clue wrt the attributes/affects ...whether explicit or implicit on the charts.  

having said all that ...more so than the usual incredulity for middle and extended time ranges, i don't think any model has much clue right now.  i've mentioned several times over the last several days that there is an unusually large amount of individual wave contention/interferences going on... so it is making it virtually impossible for any model to hone into a specific spatial-temporal object in the circulation medium.  seems like that kids game where the clown head pops up through the holes, and you get points for hammering it before it disappears on the next model run, only to pop up over here ...then over there, no wait!

as is, ...for me that system on the 00z euro is about as much a carbon copy of this last sleet bomb as is imaginatively possible in the fluid medium of the atmosphere.  with everything that can happen in the nebular game of weather, that's remarkably similar.  big high arms into eastern canada with cold seep/drain into our region ...system tries to go to the lakes...slams into confluences ...minors out east, but not before doing a qpf band from oh to lower maine.   sound familiar.  

i still think on basal level we have a strong +PNA, and -EPO tendencies, working in tandem with a strong phase 7 mjo ... the only thing certain to me is that if nothing should avail of all that over the next two to three weeks it will be an epic waste of potential!

End of the gefs is a tad worrisome. We'll see what the future holds but it may be the first signal of the end of the nice pattern probably targeted around the beginning of February. This is not a forecast, just a potential speculation.

Then again, cmc ensembles say lol wut?

End of the gefs is a tad worrisome. We'll see what the future holds but it may be the first signal of the end of the nice pattern probably targeted around the beginning of February. This is not a forecast, just a potential speculation.

? The GEFs seem fine.Still +PNA -AO

I think we relax a bit after the 20th with more of a pac jet influence...doesn't mean no snow chances.

Archived