joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IDK -8 at 850? 534 heights? Thats winter in my hood, PNA still looks good, disagree about roaring back too.

The end of the ensembles look very similar to the second half of January, 1958. The primary difference this month is we have more negative EPO / AK ridging for at least 7-10 days, which will almost certainly result in a colder January temperature departure than 1958 (which was near normal). Remember the EPO was always expected to be predominantly positive this winter (at least until February); the negative EPO over the next couple weeks is really a bonus.

30x7y2s.gif

Lol geezus, lets just ignore the PNA, man one comment about EPO and winter cancel. I give up.

I think all along the concern was how long the cold pattern would last. Looks like there's pretty good support for a cold middle of January and a mild end of January.

No one's taking your cold away but as Jerry mentioned the end of the ensembles definitely show some discouraging signs. 

I think all along the concern was how long the cold pattern would last. Looks like there's pretty good support for a cold middle of January and a mild end of January.

No one's taking your cold away but as Jerry mentioned the end of the ensembles definitely show some discouraging signs. 

It's looks like a  polar vortex split is coming on the 2nd of January so wouldn't that bring about a ssw?.

I think a SSW EVENT, causes the splitting of the PV. Not the other way around. And nothing has split yet. He may(DT) may think it's going to split, but it hasn't at this point. And there may not be a split...that's not a definite thing.

I am sorry I am obviously still very much learning. You should check out this recent post it has the maps to prove that the PV has split already. http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/47528-yes-the-pv-has-split/

meh,my cold? Lol I will take what the Ens show all day, it's winter. Your hyperbole aside its normal to have relaxation days. Dec isnt in the cards.

Well then, we'll all just have to enjoy the two week cold spell, and hope to get a storm or two out of it. Yesterday, the ensembles couldn't have looked any Better. Today we're going back above normal by months end. As Ginxy said, it isn't going to be cold non stop, there will be ups and downs. And as long as December doesn't come walking through the the door for February, it should be fine.

Well then, we'll all just have to enjoy the two week cold spell, and hope to get a storm or two out of it. Yesterday, the ensembles couldn't have looked any Better. Today we're going back above normal by months end. As Ginxy said, it isn't going to be cold non stop, there will be ups and downs. And as long as December doesn't come walking through the the door for February, it should be fine.

I dont take any stock in what the week 4 thoughts are. I mean just look back a week to ten days in this forum, Kev must have posted 10 tweets calling for a continuous torch.

All in all if by Jan 20th we aren't AN snow and BN temps I would be extremely surprised. Enjoy. Debbies gonna Debbie, but Frigidaires gonna enjoy the here and now

There were plenty of winters in the 80s where places in the NE and SNE were very cold and did not snow.  We've tended to avoid that for the most part the last 15 years but inevitably we are going to see a stretch or multiple ones eventually where that occurs.  This does not seem like one where it will, but its always possible.

There were plenty of winters in the 80s where places in the NE and SNE were very cold and did not snow. We've tended to avoid that for the most part the last 15 years but inevitably we are going to see a stretch or multiple ones eventually where that occurs. This does not seem like one where it will, but its always possible.

hmm which JAN was that in the 80s

PV doesnt split, troposphere is not stratosphere. PV elongates.

Yeah if we were looking at some type of stratospheric warming disrupting the PV this could be more permanent.

Seems like the PV disruption in the troposphere isn't from any stratospheric stuff. 

That said D10-D15 there is a split in the tropospheric PV while the polar vortex remains exceptionally strong in the stratosphere. 

Yeah if we were looking at some type of stratospheric warming disrupting the PV this could be more permanent.

Seems like the PV disruption in the troposphere isn't from any stratospheric stuff.

That said D10-D15 there is a split in the tropospheric PV while the polar vortex remains exceptionally strong in the stratosphere.

PV temps are insanely cold too.

Archived