joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

36 degrees with heavy rain and 50mph winds is exciting, but man that's so close to being an all out blizzard.  Be a crying shame if something like that happens in mid December lol.

Need the system to slow a little bit and allow for the colder air to seep southward more.

Looking closer at the 12z Euro, there's a strip of 850 mb temps at or a little below 0C on the western side, but it's marginal and it gets in late to do any good.

Any accumulation nearby?

GFS with the snow a little snow back in Iowa and central WI.

gfs_asnow_ncus_41.png

The upcoming pattern doesn't really scream strong Nino to me with a SE ridge, stormy around here and what cold that is available going into the northern plains and northern Rockies.

I'd say there's some Nina-ish aspects, especially for the CONUS.  Looking at the larger picture/globally, there are some definite Nino hallmarks. 

Strongest 12z Euro ensemble member looks to be 968mb in srn MI then 957mb 6hrs after that off to the northeast. 

Would be something to have a storm that strong not produce sig snow anywhere.  Almost seems like a meteorological impossibility in the month of December lol

Would be something to have a storm that strong not produce sig snow anywhere.  Almost seems like a meteorological impossibility in the month of December lol

Thinking the same thing.  A sub 970 low over MI in mid December not able to tap enough cold to produce a major snowstorm in the conus is quite telling.  This ain't shaping up to be anywhere near the same type of winters that we've had recently....(when you farted it snowed). 

Thinking the same thing.  A sub 970 low over MI in mid December not able to tap enough cold to produce a major snowstorm in the conus is quite telling.  This ain't shaping up to be anywhere near the same type of winters that we've had recently....(when you farted it snowed). 

The real trouble lately has been getting these "when you farted it snowed" type of snows with strong low pressure centers. 

All of the systems that have produced the better snowstorms recently have generally been progressive and strung out POS.

That figures, if this one goes over a sweet spot like Kankakee or Lafayette but fails to produce sig snow, this one's going to hurt for awhile.

I was thinking the same exact thing. Our path across the lake from each other has been missed by many storms and if this takes a path that is great for us in a "normal winter" and we get rain....ugh...

Solid hydrogen sulfide? I wonder if it would form hexagonal crystals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide

We've had some December clunkers in the last 5 winters. December 2011, 2012, 2014. A few areas did ok, but overall I think the sub forum as a whole didn't have any noteworthy snowfall tallies.

Lol, I know what you mean about the stretches of winter, where it seems it snows about as about as you fart. :lmao:

Usually those pattern consist of a NW flow with embedded waves or it snows when an Arctic front approaches, etc.

Hydrogen sulfide are emitted by volcanoes do and it becomes sulfur dioxide in the atmosphere - acts as a aerosol that brightens up clouds. So maybe there is a connection... lol

Archived