• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

yeah...was just gonna say GFS has it too and agree Jonger...via the GFS and Canadian it looks like the warmth is a relatively quick shot (which we'll see what that even translates to with a new snowpack down)...then back to normal or slightly below normal temps

Models have taken an ugly turn.   The tease of a possible post Thanksgiving cool down is quickly evaporating.   Classic El Nino look for late Nov into Dec is taking shape.    Maybe it's just a hiccup, but even the ggem 00z 9-10 day look is dramatically different from yesterday's 12z.   

I think we're going to see a lot of these mirage 10 day cool downs for awhile.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of the sensible weather outcome temp-wise in early December, I can see this is nothing but a good sign for winter. The current impending snowstorm and then this? So much for a classic Nino precip pattern :lmao:

That dry look in CA is really strange for an El NIno....no doubt.  

You also have to be careful about the mentality, "if that was in January, just imagine..."  After all, what's driving that subtropical feed is also what's driving the warmth.   I look at that and think, great, 40's and rain all winter...lol.  

That dry look in CA is really strange for an El NIno....no doubt.

You also have to be careful about the mentality, "if that was in January, just imagine..." After all, what's driving that subtropical feed is also what's driving the warmth. I look at that and think, great, 40's and rain all winter...lol.

Definitely less moisture in winter. I always cringe when a summer thunderstorm drops 3" and you hear "if this was winter we would see 30" of snow!". Even our huge storm last February that netted 16.5" of snow only had 1.08" liquid. That setup on Fall or spring would have probably been a deluge of rain.

I just mean in general, a stormy look in this region is good. We are over two months away from what they call "the dead of winter". And in a predicted back end winter no less. I have no doubt that after the last two severe winters and a strong nino in place, I am going to have to remember what a winter rain storm is and deal with it. But any semblance of a stormy pattern bodes well for the overall outcome (snow wise) of winter (up here).

As far as most of us, probably not (hi climo).

And those that do manage to get snow, outside the LES belts, probably won't get much. None of these waves (open / sheared out / positive-tilt) seem particularly moist, nor do they appear to produce a lot of cold sector precip.

Massive fail on my part. 

giphy.gif

The Aleutian low is most likely to come south and east and affect California when AAM is high and the PDO is negative, and even moreso when the eastern waters in the tropics are the warmest, which they aren't.  Overall, the CFS' classic el Nino look but with a slightly retracted Aleutian low makes a lot of sense.  I don't think SoCal is guaranteed significant rain this winter, although Seattle to San Fran obviously have a very good shot.

Regardless of the sensible weather outcome temp-wise in early December, I can see this is nothing but a good sign for winter. The current impending snowstorm and then this? So much for a classic Nino precip pattern :lmao:

It's actually pretty common to see an active subtropical jet during an el Nino.

Well, I posted 3 times, why not 4!?

Today's 10mb chart suggests we are starting to break records in the stratosphere.  Definitely no reason to think there is significant cold air in sight with such a monster PV.  But like we just saw, 15 inches of snow can happen when it's 34 degrees.

Gonna have to watch this little system in the Monday night/Tuesday time frame.  Some of the models have hinted at a little wave of snow somewhere in the western lakes/upper MW as a final wave runs up the baroclinic zone left in place .  Euro lays down a wide swath of 1-4" accums from Iowa to northern-lower MI and upper MI.  Even lays down some pockets of heavy snow in eastern WI and northern-lower MI.  The GFS has trended towards something similar with the 00z, but still not as impressive as the Euro.  Something to watch anyway.

Gonna have to watch this little system in the Monday night/Tuesday time frame.  Some of the models have hinted at a little wave of snow somewhere in the western lakes/upper MW as a final wave runs up the baroclinic zone left in place .  Euro lays down a wide swath of 1-4" accums from Iowa to northern-lower MI and upper MI.  Even lays down some pockets of heavy snow in eastern WI and northern-lower MI.  The GFS has trended towards something similar with the 00z, but still not as impressive as the Euro.  Something to watch anyway.

This will be an interesting setup to watch. It looks like the remnants of Sandra will have some play in this as that big upper level low ejects eastward. 00z Euro really dumps on N IA/S MN.

This will be an interesting setup to watch. It looks like the remnants of Sandra will have some play in this as that big upper level low ejects eastward. 00z Euro really dumps on N IA/S MN.

Yeah this is looking more and more interesting.  Both the 06z and 12z GFS really deepen the storm as it lifts north Monday night and Tuesday.  Nice wide swath of 4-8" it looks like from central IA up through parts of MN and WI.  

Trough is actually too amplified. Beta effect will just cause it to retrograde and eventually cut-off. Euro actually starts to show it retrograde at the end of the run. Ridge would then cut-off and dampen and/or roll-over. Everyone from the Plains on east gets embedded in (very) warm, moist southerly flow.

If the ridge were to roll-over at the right time, we could see a bit of a modified, transient cold air dump that would open the door to snow for a few days, but given that that black hole PV present near the pole, the high-quality cold air probably stays locked up north.

Just an unreal warm sector on that 00z Euro verbatim. To give an idea, there's mid 50s dews almost to the UP and Green Bay, mid 60s to Champaign, upper 60s almost to LSX and 70s to Greenville, MS.

Seems the signal for a significant storm continues, but man there would be a lot of records broken if that type of WAA is achieved.

Just an unreal warm sector on that 00z Euro verbatim. To give an idea, there's mid 50s dews almost to the UP and Green Bay, mid 60s to Champaign, upper 60s almost to LSX and 70s to Greenville, MS.

Seems the signal for a significant storm continues, but man there would be a lot of records broken if that type of WAA is achieved.

Agreed, but, let me guess, no CAPE like the rest of the storms? #Dreamcasting 

PS. I'll soon be able to know this info with a subscription to this site or EuroWx

Archived