joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the north and west portion of the sub forum, things could get interesting Thanksgiving weekend as a -NAO, -PNA and -EPO set up.  It appears that the -EPO ridge sets up far enough to the west that cold air could bleed into the lower 48 west of MSP instead of east of it.  Thinking a good snowstorm could pass along the baroclinic zone effecting somewhere from near MSP to as far east as ORD.

I think the idea is it gets cold in the east. I'll have to read the paper on the topic here when I get a little time. I could see how where the cold dumps varies based on other factors such as wavelengths, the proceeding weather pattern and how strong the typhoon is. The TR has been around for a while and JB has mentioned it for years as have other mets, but the paper Cliche posted could be the first true "research" done on it.

Right, every single context I've ever seen the TR used is for a major central or eastern trough/ cold outbreak.  (November 2014 is a good example)  So I would expect a +PNA response, not a -PNA one.

Right, every single context I've ever seen the TR used is for a major central or eastern trough/ cold outbreak.  (November 2014 is a good example)  So I would expect a +PNA response, not a -PNA one.

Yeah i am not sure where the NAO stuff is coming from either? The cold is driven down ( into central and eastern parts of the country and or Rockies on east ) via the -EPO that typically sets up. Also see November 2013 which saw a few of these re-curves. I have seen the PNA go either way and thus see Nov 2013 which ended up negative unlike last year which yeah gave way to the trough further west then what we typically see. The main driver though is the EPO and again that is what does the deed.

That trough placement in the east looks too far east gives a blocking high pressure on Greenland's west Coast. If the high keeps on showing up, then I would expect that trough to back up some. Probably end up seeing a more broad trough over the Midwest and Great Lakes, especially if that Alaska ridge builds poleward.

The problem is the STJ is already a powerhouse

I think the idea is it gets cold in the east. I'll have to read the paper on the topic here when I get a little time. I could see how where the cold dumps varies based on other factors such as wavelengths, the proceeding weather pattern and how strong the typhoon is. The TR has been around for a while and JB has mentioned it for years as have other mets, but the paper Cliche posted could be the first true "research" done on it.

Actually...Heather Archambault from Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey has done quite a bit of research on the subject at hand.

Her Curriculum Vitae

Also...this thesis goes back to 1993...

Our research shows that even though injection of a typhoon into the rossby wave packet helps to improve forecasting above 2 std, we can still perform better than climatology even if a typhoon isn't there by looking at the upper air patterns of East Asia.

Actually...Heather Archambault from Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey has done quite a bit of research on the subject at hand.

Her Curriculum Vitae

Also...this thesis goes back to 1993...

Our research shows that even though injection of a typhoon into the rossby wave packet helps to improve forecasting above 2 std, we can still perform better than climatology even if a typhoon isn't there by looking at the upper air patterns of East Asia.

Thanks for chiming in, and also linking to some other relevant research!

I can certainly see how Asian patterns without a typhoon in the mix can still be used to predict North American patterns. If I'm reading your response right, it seems the correlation just becomes higher with a typhoon in the mix. Let me know if I'm interpreting you correctly or not.

Thanks for chiming in, and also linking to some other relevant research!

I can certainly see how Asian patterns without a typhoon in the mix can still be used to predict North American patterns. If I'm reading your response right, it seems the correlation just becomes higher with a typhoon in the mix. Let me know if I'm interpreting you correctly or not.

You are correct Jim!

Yes on the economy booming sure. Starting to get the feeling more and more that indeed we are in for a roller coaster winter.

I agree with this. Like you said it doesn't mean we won't see decent amount of snow. We just won't have the steady snow pack like the last couple seasons. Lots of thaws. IMO.

Yes on the economy booming sure. Starting to get the feeling more and more that indeed we are in for a roller coaster winter.

Auto sales are on pace for record highs and gas is below $2/gallon. So yeah, things are much improved from 5 years ago, although still far from the point of "money growing on trees" we experienced back in the late 90s .

Even in the past year, I noticed rush hour is now much busier and there's been notable increase in job postings with decent pay.

I agree with this. Like you said it doesn't mean we won't see decent amount of snow. We just won't have the steady snow pack like the last couple seasons. Lots of thaws. IMO.

Agree 100%. It's been a while that I honestly had NO gut instinct either way. Lately I'm really feeling roller coaster. As in, the cold snaps will be below to well below normal temps and of course shots of snow, but there will be plenty of thaws and possible downright spring like days. The final temp departure for winter, whatever that may be, will be the average of a wild ride.

God that's a massive high at the end of the 18z GFS.

If that TS in the West Pac can strengthen into a strong typhoon and recurve, I wouldn't count out that -EPO type solution on the last two runs of the GFS in the long range. There isn't much other support for it at this time, but the models have been very volatile in the long range for the last week plus.

If that TS in the West Pac can strengthen into a strong typhoon and recurve, I wouldn't count out that -EPO type solution on the last two runs of the GFS in the long range. There isn't much other support for it at this time, but the models have been very volatile in the long range for the last week plus.

Killin me!

Sent from my S50 using Tapatalk

The -EPO ridge is gonna happen no matter what. How long it lasts and how it sets up is the large differences.

The ensembles had tried to develop an Alaskan low by later next week. So this is quite a change from that if it occurs. The day 5-10 EPO should be negative though yes, we'll see if we can get anything longer than that

We've seen that central/western trough quite a bit this Fall... always seems to revert back to the -PNA looking jet, except shifted east a bit. There have been some incredible wind events across the continent this month. It has been a very active fall. I wonder if this is going to be our "go to" pattern for the first half of winter... I'm okay with it. Wind storms, variable temperatures.. add some snow and I'm on board. 

Archived