• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

My wife and I like to walk the tracks anywhere from Poplar on up to Toecane trying to get a close-up of those elusive greyish blue birds down on the river.  You know which ones I'm talking about Joe?  Are they herons or cranes or what?

They're blue herons and believe it or not , they stay here year round. There's 6 or 7 that hang out on the Toe and one or two on Rocky creek. I saw one just the other day in the snow. Beautiful.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're blue herons and believe it or not , they stay here year round. There's 6 or 7 that hang out on the Toe and one or two on Rocky creek. I saw one just the other day in the snow. Beautiful.

Yep...that's the ones...Ive seen them in every season but gosh they are hard to get close to...we make special trips down on the river to try to get closeups with her Nikon and zoom lens

You guys in the higher mountains are really getting a treat with this one.  Still scattered flurries here in the French Broad River Valley, but I took a late lunch break and drove up towards Sams Gap.  It is incredible to see the snow accumulation difference from the Mars Hill exit compared to the top of the mountain 2-3 miles away.  In Mars Hill at the exit there is a dusting-.5" but where the interstate crests the mountains there is 6"+ of snow and it is covering 2 of the 3 lanes.  This event solidifies my plans to move above 3500' on the NC/TN border.  It is a must if you live in WNC and love the snow.  Will post the dash cam video in a little while when I get it uploaded.

Been a wild day here in Mitchell county went from half a foot on Roan to one inch in bakersville, currently in grassy creek/ little Switzerland and there's a half a foot. Amazes me normally its the complete opposite.

Banding often sets up around Little Switzerland i have seen them get hammered from NWFS but not always

At 4pm...there is basically a dusting of snow on the ground at Balsam gap.

At about 4800 foot level of Mt. Lyn Lowry-there was 4" on the road at the subdivision entrance with the power apparently out.

'

At nearby Maggie Valley in the higher elevations..7"...and because of that report...I estimate 8 to 10" on the ground at the 6200 feet of the mountain especially since it appears that heavy snow has been falling at the top all day with the snow drying up as it reaches the valley floor.

Took a little drive around my area. Big differences in totals but you get the idea. It's been snowing like this since daybreak. Approaching 8 inches now. On radar you can clearly see the stream into Yancey and Mitchell counties. I guess we got lucky on this one. Temps holding steady at 13.

20160209_111441.jpg

Awesome shot Joe! Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have close to 10 inches now and that might be the last accurate measurement I'll be able to get as the wind has really picked up. Just had a gust to 28. Temp is 10.6 so the wind chill is brutal. Still snowing moderately with heavier showers mixed in. A great winter day here.

you basically have the same climate as the lower elevations of new England up there don't you ?

you basically have the same climate as the lower elevations of new England up there don't you ?

Anyone above 4k feet up here does. I average around 60 inches a year. I think Beech averages close to 100'. In comparision:

Boston - 43

Detroit - 42

Chicago - 36

Denver - 33

Baltimore - 20

Hartford - 40

Thanks Moonhowl!

Snowing again down here in Candler, anybody on the border got updated totals?

That was a cool vid, but you need to slow down. Drivers like you get people hurt.

have you ever even hit 90 degrees at that elevation ?

no. Maybe he has hit 80.

Close. The highest temp I've ever recorded since I've had my weather "gear" in 2001 was 83.4 .

I have close to 10 inches now and that might be the last accurate measurement I'll be able to get as the wind has really picked up. Just had a gust to 28. Temp is 10.6 so the wind chill is brutal. Still snowing moderately with heavier showers mixed in. A great winter day here.

I never ever never want to hear you whine during any winter weather event again! Congrats Joe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a cool vid, but you need to slow down. Drivers like you get people hurt.

Honestly I only hit 50 going up the mountain and that was when it was clear, the video was sped up like 1000x (I am sure you figured that out though). The truck that I passed going up the mountain was going maybe 25mph. Maybe it looked faster because of the fenders lol. I try my hardest to be very cautious when driving in the snow Joe, so please don't think I was blasting up the highway. On the way back down I got passed by a DOT truck and four other motorists that were flying. I just had it in 5th gear letting it hold back going 40-45.

I never ever never want to hear you whine during any winter weather event again! Congrats Joe!

Sent from my iPhone 

Not for rest of February, I promise.

Still have moderate snow but this stuff now is dandruff. Ratios must be 25:1+. Just slipped into single digits with 9.4 degrees.[/quote

Nice Joe !!! That is some serious powder.

Thanks J, there's more to come for all. Mark it!

Currently debating on hiking Roan Mountain or skiing the Cat this weekend... ughhhhh

What a horrible decision you have to make. Good luck Man. :)

Honestly I only hit 50 going up the mountain and that was when it was clear, the video was sped up like 1000x (I am sure you figured that out though). The truck that I passed going up the mountain was going maybe 25mph. Maybe it looked faster because of the fenders lol. I try my hardest to be very cautious when driving in the snow Joe, so please don't think I was blasting up the highway. On the way back down I got passed by a DOT truck and four other motorists that were flying. I just had it in 5th gear letting it hold back going 40-45.

Never, ever take anything I post seriously. Except obs. I'm great at obs. A legend.

Archived