joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice tnweathernut! I am hearing reports of 6"-8" at wolf and 6" in Mars Hill. Those locations getting as much as they got with the first snow storm. Pretty impressive flow, I don't think it is underperforming with still 24hrs+ of flow left.

I suppose it is a matter of what one's original expectations were but considering the length of the event and crazy moisture thickness...it has been a very modest event indeed. Nice to see some higher numbers in the normal spots but how about some love for the Balsams?

Looking at the Balsam Webcam...it appears only 1" has fallen if that.  http://brpwebcams.org/cam/5/1

I'm sure the local higher elevations have done considerably better but still!

Looking at the SAT...suggests the clouds are breaking up a bit east of the TN line so not very hopeful for the rest of the day.

I'm currently taking mesoscale class and we had a discussion on NW flow events so let me sums up the event...

Low level moisture and instability look amazing. Temps aloft are cold enough for the production of good snow at high ratio. The main problem for French Broad Valley is the pressure gradient isn't tight enough because the Hatteras low is not strong enough. Winds aren't strong enough to power the snow through mountains into downtown Asheville. Vertical wind shear is also lacking for the formation of deep snow bands strong enough to punch through mountains into the valley. 

Bottomline: we came close to having a good event in Asheville, but no cigar due to Hatteras low not being strong enough. NW mountains are in for an amazing event, however. I might drive up to Mars Hill later to check things out. 

Congrats to the folks getting decent snow. Snow showers, sun, snow showers, sun. Won't get any additional accumulations at this rate. NWFS haven't produced much for Boone in many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen any sun today.

If you're in boone you must not be looking outside often. We may not have full blown direct sun but the amount it's been coming through today has and will continue to wreck havoc on totals.

I've been in class all day so I haven't looked outside much

If you're in boone you must not be looking outside often. We may not have full blown direct sun but the amount it's been coming through today has and will continue to wreck havoc on totals.

The SAT shows a classic standing mountain wave pattern so the sunshine is no surprise with the sun peaking out adjacent to convective rolls where there is sinking air.  Only the ridge tops or areas that are actually on the TN line and to the NW probably will stay completely in the clouds.(Note: With these mountain wave clouds..suggests the wind speed at cloud level is probably higher than what the models suggested.)

Here is neat demonstration of orthographic lift on the windward side of Mt. Mitchell via webcam:

http://www.nchighpeaks.org/weather/pensacola.php

And then the reverse on the leeward side.  http://www.nchighpeaks.org/weather2/sevenmileridge.php

Somebody is getting robbed!

The SAT shows a classic standing mountain wave pattern so the sunshine is no surprise with the sun peaking out adjacent to convective rolls where there is sinking air. Only the ridge tops or areas that are actually on the TN line and to the NW probably will stay completely in the clouds.(Note: With these mountain wave clouds..suggests the wind speed at cloud level is probably higher than what the models suggested.)

Makes sense, just hate how it affects totals.

Na, got my Chevy Sonic front wheel drive. It does really good in the snow main thing is don't speed, that's what makes you wreck, slow an steady

Glad you're having a good time up here today.  Be careful man,  it's picked back up here at the house again.  Snow Hill does live up to its name and if you are hungry they make a great Hunt Bros pizza there at the gas station!  

Took a little drive around my area. Big differences in totals but you get the idea. It's been snowing like this since daybreak. Approaching 8 inches now. On radar you can clearly see the stream into Yancey and Mitchell counties. I guess we got lucky on this one. Temps holding steady at 13.

20160209_111441.jpg

You know I was looking at your pic trying to figure out where that was...I knew it had to be down on the river somewhere but I was thinking it was on Cane River...LOL

Archived